The Warning about a Coronavirus Pandemic

@Dawn - as you mentioned above, the more stringent measures are being put in place because of the number of people (I’m looking at you, Spring Breakers here in FL) who completely ignored earlier social distancing recommendations. It’s so those who are ignoring the recommendations/breaking the rules will stand out more. Those who break curfew are easier to spot. I think it also gives the local law enforcement personnel a break. They’ve been working extra hours and awfully hard around here for the past two weeks.

3 Likes

Good point!

1 Like

I read this today. 44 year old kindergarten teacher died within 2 days of contraction. This is in a TX town only about 70 miles from us. They said he was a perfectly health adult. It really doesn’t say much more than that.

2 Likes

When “certain officials” come out and say things to DOWNPLAY the situation, people freak out and go buy up everything they can…PANIC
What we are witnessing out in the public in real time is nothing more than an enhanced distrust in our leadership. We don’t trust one another because we have allowed ourselves to be divided.

DIVISION will be our demise, but UNITY can be our salvation

3 Likes

It is simple common sense. Because Nancy and I used our common sense and prepared ourselves for a situation like this we need nothing. Because I studied Pandemic preps ad nauseum
we need nothing. Because we prepared we have enough to share with others in need.
Apparently common sense is severely lacking in a large percentage of our population.
STAY HOME.

6 Likes

The police power itself is an attribute of sovereignty.It exists without any reservation in the Constitution. It is founded on the right of the State to protect its citizens, to provide for their welfare and progress and to insure the good of society. It corresponds to the right of self preservation in the individual. Its application varies with the exigencies of the situation and with the progress of mankind. It is the foundation of our social system and upon it depends the security of social order, the life and health of the citizen, the comfort of existence in a thickly populated community, the enjoyment of private and social life, and the beneficial use of property. It extends to the protection of life, health, comfort and welfare of persons, protection of property, and to the welfare of the State itself. All natural persons within the jurisdiction hold their property and pursue their various callings subject to the police power. It is inherent in the various States of the Union, as well as in the Federal Government. To the extent that property or business in devoted to public use or is affected with a public interest it is subject to regulation by the police power. McLean v. Arkansas, 211 U.S. 539; Muller v. Oregon, 208 U.S. 412; Holden v. Hardy, 169 U.S. 366; Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11; Atkin v. Kansas, 191 U.S. 207; Murphy v. California, 225 U.S. 623; Booth v. Illinois, 184 U.S. 425; Second Employers’ Liability Cases, 223 U.S. 1; Noble State Bank v. Haskell, 219 U.S. 104; s. c., 219 U.S. 575; Arizona Employers’ Liability Cases, 250 U.S. 400; Gilbert v. Minnesota, 254 U.S. 325; Wilson v. New, 243 U.S. 332; Block v. Hirsh, 256 U.S. 135; State v. Sperry, 94 Neb. 785; Matter of Gregory, 219 U.S. 216; Rast v. Van Deman & Lewis Co., 240 U.S. 342; Pitney v. Washington, 240 U.S. 387; Tanner v. Little, 240 U.S. 369.

Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390 (1923)

10 Likes

Our banker and … funny our attorney, emailed us and said The Bill should be a way for us to get a no interest no payback loan to hire back on (give hours to) our employees.

We’ll check into this first of the week and if true, we will absolutely run with it, unless there are poison pills in it. I heard one, you have to be able to accept unionization if you take the money. This would kill it for me. But TX is a right to hire (Fire) state so even if true I don’t think it would be enforceable here? We’ll see though.

5 Likes

The Hays County Sheriff just posted that he will NOT have his deputies enforce the 11pm-4am curfew. He said basically the judge who ordered it overstep his authority and whether you are out during these hours or not the risk is the same. Deputy’s will continue to enforce the general rule, if you are going to get food, meds, or have a critical job, you won’t be stopped.

I’m glad to see our sheriff is a basing his decision on logic, this is why we voted for him.

7 Likes

How will these activities be confirmed, if you aren’t stopping people and asking for the papers? Papers, please.

Asking for a friend

Craig

2 Likes

Well, I’m hoping this is not what’s next but the UN has issued a warning of Global Civil Unrest.

I’ve also over the last few days seen an article or two regarding CU in Italy and a few other places. I feel as long as people can still get food this will be a contributing factor for civility.

There has actually been a reduction in violent crime and no crazy protests. Watch the news, talk with reliable relatives and friends about what is happening in their area. With this said, do you folks have any news from the city or burbs? We’re pretty remote so other than the occasional pair of raccoons fighting at night or hummingbirds during the day, it’s pretty peaceful here.

4 Likes

Hopefully the media doesn’t have a field day with that. How they portray the situation can definitely have an effect on how people act.

4 Likes

Agreed, thus do your own investigation and look at articles you read logically. A precursor to CU would be the lack of food.

4 Likes

i was walking past the TV which was tuned onto CNN (dont worry i watch all the news outlets :wink: ) and the WhiteHouse CoronaVirus press conference was on. Whoever was speaking was talking about drug cartels taking advantage and CNN promptly switched back to the studio “We will go back to the press conference when/if they continue talking about CoronaVirus” and promptly resumed complaining about Trump & Co’s response to CoronaVirus.

I didnt catch all of what was said before they went back to the studio, but my immediate first thought was that considering the uptick in gun sales they didnt want to fuel it further with talk about rampant drug gangs roaming the streets. So thats why they switched away from the speaker

4 Likes

Harvey -
I have a feeling it has more to do with the fact that Trump was announcing a new push to interdict drug trafficking on the boarders. He is enlisting the navy and talked about increasing patrols to curb the influx of drugs. Cartel apparently wanted to take advantage of our lock down. CNN probably didn’t want to mention something that might have made Trump look like he was fighting one of our countries problems.

6 Likes

So, here at work, if you can call it that anymore. We applied for our business FREE MONEY. If we pay employees to come back to work we don’t have to pay it back, fine. But the kicker, our county says we can not be open! So , does anyone else see this as being beyond stupid!? Do I just say they are working from home? We are a hospitality type company, there is NO work to do at home!

Sorry for all the “!!!” I’m just a little frustrated.!

3 Likes

Is there any planning, continuing education, or bookwork they can do from home, @Fizbin? Have you checked to see if there’s any way to have a skeleton crew at work (I’m betting you have, but had to ask).

2 Likes

@Fizbin - can you call it “paid leave?”

3 Likes

All good here in Shawano WI. It finally stopped raining here and the sun is shining, at least people can get out and walk, yard work and such.
Menominee Co and Rez (8 miles away) had the first case of CV and two deaths from heroin, a bad batch I guess. The drugs come up from Milwaukee and Green Bay, both hot spots for CV.
We only go out about once a week for bread milk and eggs. We will start wearing masks from now on and I have been a bit more heavily armed lately.
Stay safe, Bruce and Nancy. :+1:

2 Likes

I was always told that in an economic downturn where we expected things to get back to normal in the not so distant future, that it’s better to retain employees, take a hit on profits, and spend the extra down time to train employees with better skills and knowledge. This should help dealing with the elevating work orders as the country gets back on track, and increase the business’s competitiveness (as well as the workers’) in the marketplace in the future. The SBA’s disaster relief forgivable business loans reduces the economic hit on businesses that follow this strategy.

I know this is just the generic idea, but it seems to have merit.

2 Likes

I think @OldGnome might be correct. IANAL, but I think as long as you use it for payroll you dont have to pay it back. It doesnt say (AFAIK) that they must be actually working in an workplace in order to get paid. My belief is, that this is exactly the scenario for which it was meant… to allow Companies with (effectively) zero income because their workers arent working/producing to be able to continue to pay their employees who are not working/producing.

I’ve gotten a bunch of emails from my elected officials (congress, state, local) with links to resources that explain all the nuances and hotlines for more info. Maybe check with them to get an answer?

And as a last ditch resort, are their things they can be doing from home? hospitality is a pretty broad term, but maybe Certifications or continuing education, business classes, etc.

1 Like