The Ventures - Gone But Not Forgotten

As I was surfing through a ton of UTUBE videos, I ran across videos of The Ventures after I’d read that the last original member - Don Wilson - had passed away. For anyone who likes instrumental rock, or is learning to play guitar, these guys set the “standard” for future bands - lead, rhythm, bass, drums - and at least 3 of their albums are worth your time and trouble - LET’S GO! - THE VENTURES PLAY TELSTAR - and (THE VENTURES) IN SPACE. Look for a CD I found that couples TELSTAR with SPACE - this is the point where their lead player - Nokie Edwards - had introduced Wilson and Bob Bogle to Mosrite guitars, and their switch from Fenders is dramatic on SPACE. Most of the videos were shot in Japan, where the band had a huge fan base, and they seemed to be a happy group of guys - performing their music was everything to them over 50 years +. FYI

6 Likes

I was a fan of The Ventures. Cool tunes for piloting a '66 VW down HWY1

6 Likes

7:55 minutes into this video makes me want to get deep into a four barrel on a 1969 Charger!

1 Like

The guitar Edwards is playing is his own, Mosrite-inspired “Hitchhiker” design, with a set-through neck and a sliding bridge. Check out THE SHADOWS and THE TORNADOS, too - two British instrumental bands which were formed about the same time. “Telstar” was “scooped” when Wilson heard it on the radio on his way to the studio one day - the song became “Venturized” asd a result, more familiar and popular than the original. Before he went solo, I believe Leon Russell was their keyboard player, working as a session musician, or as one of the famous “Wrecking Crew”. FYI

2 Likes

My first wife (plaintiff) got my Ventures albums in the divorce! :sob: :sob:

1 Like

Check out OLDIES.COM - it’s an outfit in PA that has thousands of films, CDs, and vinyl - great prices!

3 Likes

I started playing guitar when I was 8 years old. The 1st two songs I learned to play were “Gloria” & “Walk don’t Run”.

2 Likes