The shark bump!

Have you considered a dash camera? I highly recommended them

7 Likes

Oh yeah

2 Likes

Dash cameras are a HUGE thing IMO. I’ve been running one full time since 2012, back when they were a lot harder to find and buy in the US. They are pretty darn mainstream now though.

I have multiple in my car, and one is a two channel with rear camera. I keep the microphone off by default so I’m not recording bluetooth phone conversations and messages of other people or anything like that, but, in a situation like you described, one reach and press of a button and the mic comes back on to record audio as well as video…and that reach is much less, offensive? I guess the word might be, than pointing a phone camera at a person.

4 Likes

I think the incident described was handled well.

However, I have a thought about merits of the “anti-crime beam” in the context given. Being perceived as the “neighborhood narc” has a potential downside.

If you think the “high beams” give the impression that you may be police or security, and you think they give “bad guys” the impression of police or security, then probably they do. And since it sounds like there is some overlap between your neighbors and “the bad guys”, shining the big beam around may default you onto one side of a neighborhood value system. That could make you more of a target for violence instead of less — if the crew is inclined that way. If not direct personal violence, maybe you attract vandalism and shunning instead of becoming a solid part of the neighborhood.

You pick how you want your role to develop, but pay attention to how others likely perceive your actions — more than how you want them to perceive. If you intend to learn the lay of the land before becoming shepherd of the neighbor watch, maybe scan your entry with headlights, using yard lights and a small beam to avoid the curbs. Keep the big beam handy for use on specific threats or bad juju nights instead of searchlighting around on a routine basis.

5 Likes

This is how dark our parking lot is at night.

1 Like

@Forensic_Wow
I believe you posted some extra videos other than the dark parking lot.

I don’t really care about fitting in. I’m just worried about being situationally aware. When I see a neighbor who’s smoking outside having a cigarette and I see that they see me using the flashlight, I just politely introduce myself and tell them I’m just trying to be aware, especially with the recent car break ins in the city. I only do it when I’m going to the car or I’m going back inside the apartment. If I can see somebody without the light, I avoid shining the light on them out of respect.

8 Likes

Very True. In a lot of cases around here the perp stars out being polite a nice putting the victim at ease then attack’s a soft target.

3 Likes

I’m hoping there are still civilised “bad guys”, who never touch neighbours. :v:

3 Likes

Yeah. Hard to tell for sure, but seems like about normal if your phone can pick up a guy walking 40m away. Typical that there would be lit areas and shadowed areas. Certainly not a prison yard but enough to find your way around. Seems safe enough if you can plan around the dark spots.
:sunglasses: :flashlight:
Seeing and being seen are different things. A powerful white light is going to wreck your night vision, and the shadow areas will become darker and more numerous. If I only have a strong light, I will cover the lens entirely with my hand and only let a crack between my fingers leak enough light for my purpose without compromising my ability to see dark areas. The additional light is there if I need it.

3 Likes

@Forensic_Wow. You did what’s best be done. Always be aware of your surroundings, as many things go on in apartment complexes, good and bad. Everyone there are residents of their own little community, and should exercise situational awareness. Report any unusual activity that’s out of the ordinary. It helps keep a safe environment all around.

@Forensic_Wow You did great. I would have handled it the exact same way. I have never heard of the term “Shark Bumping” but I like it, and appreciate you sharing your story. My wife and I have little code words and phrases for different kinds of situations, and this is one that will be getting added to that list, so thanks for that.

3 Likes

Kevin has talked about the shark bump somewhere in the Protector Academy videos, probably in the real life scenarios analyzed? That or ask an attorney, pretty sure he bring sit up in one where he’s across from Grieves

1 Like

In the USCCA’s original conceal carry class idk if they have it anymore they talked about the shark tank and analyzed what you would jump in there for.

1 Like

We still teach the shark tank analogy. I love to see how people get a realization of what they consider to be important when we cover that.

2 Likes

I’m definitely gonna be listening out for it now.

1 Like

The shark tank is also a thing.

Shark tank is “if ___ was thrown into a tank with dangerous sharks, would you jump in after it?” as a litmus test for “should you consider the possibility of using lethal force to protect ___”

The shark bump is more like your post here, the shark bumps or takes a nibble of something to help decide whether or not it’s food/prey/worth biting for real. The ‘panhandler’ asking for change, guy asking for a cig or a light, or just observing you and maybe eyeballing to see your reaction, et.

3 Likes

Nice having you here with us Calvin! I’ve been a member ever since January 2019, after I got robbed 3 times (October 26th, 2017 3:23am, October 29th, 2017 11:40pm, and November 12, 2018 10:30pm) at my gas station. After my 3rd one I got my first Firearm took my CHL class, and have been studying and reading the sources this organization has been showing me. I watch the videos so much I can recite them word by word, as if this was a college course and I had to take the test!

6 Likes

There is so much content on that protector academy. Over 24 hours of ask an attorney alone (Elite members). Great stuff

I’m not sure about that but, hopefully, an old saying still applies. “don’t crap where you eat.”

2 Likes