THE.PROPER.WAY.TO.HAND.YOUR.E.D.C.TO.ANOTHER

Do you know.how .to.properly.Hand.Over your .E.D.C. TO . ANOTHER. PERSON. .:question:

hmmm, in what situation might I be handing my EDC over to another person? This question strikes me differently than handing a ‘firearm’ or ‘handgun’ over to another.

I will answer generally for “handgun”. The way I hand a handgun to another person depends on the context.

If we are on the firing line and the gun is loaded, I hold the gun by the top of the slide so the other person can go straight into a proper shooting grip, by the grip, without any interference from my hand. Think instruction, friends at the range trying the others’ gun, etc.

Outside of a live firing line kind of situation, I lock the action open and double/triple check there is no mag and that the chamber is empty, and then hand it over with the slide locked back or set it down on the counter in that condition and they can pick it up like that.

10 Likes

I don’t really care for the “this way that, and for the other another.” If I am handing my firearm to another person I drop the mag, clear the chamber, lock the slide open, and hand it to them with the barrel pointed straight up. If there is someplace to set it down before passing it, I will. Basically same for a revolver, just leave the cylinder open (if it is a pop out). For my Blackhawk I open the feed door and rotate the cylinder so they can see it is empty, then hand it over holding the barrel pointing up.

6 Likes

When you are instructing someone, it can become necessary to have a way of doing it with a loaded gun while on the firing line.

There exist scenarios in instruction/training in which it is best not to require the student to load the gun from scratch every time.

There are also scenarios in training/instruction in which handing them a loaded firearm that actually has a dummy round/snap cap in the chamber is beneficial, but if you hand it to them unloaded and have them loaded it, that little surprise is lost

I say “handing it do them” loosely in this case as the gun doesn’t actually move, it is over the bench/table/line in an approximate low ready position the entire time, it just goes from my hands, to being held in place by only one of my hands, to then their hands on it, but once the handoff process is starting the gun itself doesn’t go anywhere

2 Likes

As a follow up, some examples would be:

Instructing an older shooter with arthritis or injuries where they can, if they have to, operate the slide on their semi auto firearm, but they would rather not have to do it time and again at the range while shooting.

Or a youngster, a youth, who can be trusted to keep their .22lr pistol pointed downrange safely, but, having to work the slide to chamber a round for every string is a strain on the muscles and does increase the safety risk with the difficult that can arise in keeping the muzzle downrange when hand strength is at its limit to work the slide.

So, in my experience, it’s good to have a way to safely and consistently handoff a loaded pistol to another person on a firing line

3 Likes

I usually drop the magazine clear the firearm lock the side open set the gun down with the barrel down range on the range table.

6 Likes

YES, DON’T! EVER.

9 Likes

The ONLY time I’ve handed over my EDC is on the range to one of my grandsons!
No one else ever!

6 Likes

I am agreeing with @Don102 I think it is a trick question.

6 Likes

I can’t think of any reason I would ever do that. So hard ‘no’ from me on that one.

6 Likes

Drop mag, empty chamber, sit gun down with empty chamber facing up and barrel downrange. I would NEVER hand a loaded weapon over to another. It is their job to make the gun ready.

3 Likes

Wellll…that depends.
A trusted friend, hand it to them barrel pointed in a safe direction, cleared and empty.
An evildoer, hand it to them bullet first. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Don102 . That was worth too Root beers :beer::beer:Love you brother . I was thinking about my favorite movie gray. Man. And gray man is asked to throw a gun .To the Lady who saves his life.!! And she was mad . KAZ it was empty. And he.!! .Said . Who throws a loaded gun. . And he says the . Shells were coming . That was funny . And then the bad guy loyed. Said throw the gun over here and he clears it and then throws it to him .!! And he said I mean . Loaded. And he said it again . Who throws a loaded gun. !! But !! He is right . Never throw a loaded weapon . !! That was a great answer . Have a root beer :beer: . For the answer of . The week. :100::beer::beer::cherry_blossom::partying_face::confetti_ball::100::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::us:in the movies they are all ways saying drop the gun. And that . All ways bothers me when they . Do that. !! But in real life I hand. A hand gun. When someone I know . Is trained . !! . Aiming down . In a safe direction. . And . Carfuly . . Not chambered! . Just be careful. . . . But every time I see a movie and . They say drop. It. And they just throw it down . !! I .FEEL ALL MAD KAZ THEY . All ways have really nice edc’s. AND AND. I am telling Debbie an. Only in the movies. !! And. I BECOME AN XEPERT. That’s .SO STUPID AND on and on . . But that’s ,A. GREAT ANSWER BROTHER. . Set it DOWN. . And then they can pick it up . !! . … . Here is an extra :beer::beer::v:t5:ROOT BEERS :beers: . If I need one . Please leave it loaded. . I will keep. My fingers off the . Trigger. I am voting in a little bit. AND TAKING MY MOMA TO VOTE AS WELL . . I am so happy . Every thing is . Going good . I was having a terrible month . And a day and two hours . I am so grateful I got my membership paid I was worried. . I felt . I all month and two days were . Going to be a month and three days . Of misreee. All better now . I took Debbie ann to dinner and she brought me . Achickolay. Sanish. And Täters. . . Love ya all Bobby Jean and Debbie ann . She made me happy . . I hope I can get her to let me take her to dinner again . She can buy me . A breato. Toco bell :bell:. Yummy :yum:. Thanks everyone . . Family . . Stay safe . Remember to vote . Happy day :partying_face::confetti_ball::chile::us::100::beer:

1 Like

Tamantha. WELCOME TO. THE FAMILY . I Love ROOTBEER. And we LOVE YOU ASK ANY ONE ANY THING . And if you want to know something you will definitely get the answers . And if you know anything we want to know . You will .find lots of things to love about the family you are now family and if you don’t like root beer that’s ok but I want to give you your first one .?:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::partying_face::confetti_ball::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::chile::us::100::100::v:t5::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: GREAT TO HAVE YOU . Happy day :feather::feather::us::beer::bangbang:

1 Like

Scott SIR GRATE.ANSER… AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SIR . I LOVE YOU BROTHER . .I HAVE YOU A SIX PACK OF ROOT BEER . SIR . :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart::white_heart::blue_heart::chile::us::us::us::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::feather::feather::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::beer::beer::beer::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::cherry_blossom::bangbang: THANK YOU BROTHER SIR . .Love Bobby jean .An. Debbie ann. And my puppies . :us::us::us: I AM SO HAPPY I HAVE YOU FOR MY BROTHER SIR . Thank you for having my SIX. All the way . . I am just so happy sir​:feather::feather::100::100::100::beer:

1 Like

…".Hand it to them Bullet first! " YES! Good Answer! (and send a couple of the bullets ‘friends’ if they don’t get the complete message after the first! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Welcome Tamantha to the greatest Gunboat Forum on Earth!
You are right where you are supposed to be!

Where We Go 1 We Go All !

4 Likes

Don102. I LOVE YOU HOW THOUGHTFUL :bangbang::bangbang::bangbang: SEND SOME FRIENDS SO. The ROUNDS DONT GET LONELY. That’s LOVE RIGHT THERE . YOUR A GIVER THATS WHY I TRULY LOVE YOU . THAT IS SO THOUGHTFUL. It brought a TEAR TO MY EYE. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::joy::rofl::joy::joy::joy::joy::japanese_ogre::face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Hey BobbyJean, I’m just a Loving, Kumbaya, Huggable kind of Gunner! What can I say
If an Enemy BEG’S for Bullets who am I to deny them that right? And if it takes more than
one application of lead I MUST oblige them! I MUST! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: It say’s it in the manual ! 'Go forth and spread da Lead! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: Peace through superior Firepower! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:oh, I kill me!

“No, I’m not Violent…I’m Blood thirsty… There’s a difference!” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I also double check my chamber. I thought I was being weird. Guess not.

2 Likes

Not weird at all.

In fact, it’s not uncommon to recommend/do, when you really want to check that the gun is unloaded…visually and digitally (as in tactile with your finger lol, fingers are digits, get it?) check the chamber and the empty magwell…then look away from the gun at something else for a few seconds…then look back at the gun and recheck from scratch

I’ve also seen the recommendation…and this may seem funny but it makes sense…don’t look for a lack of ammo/a lack of a round…look for the empty chamber. Look for something positive, look for the presence of an empty chamber

2 Likes