The Paddle

I’m not in the business of telling parents how to raise their kids. I think everyone has the right to screw up their own kids. But it was my experience that many students, if given the choice, would rather accept the paddle than a longer form of punishment. Did paddling hurt? Yes, I can attest to that. Was it humiliating? It could be. But once it’s over, it’s over, and you could get back to whatever you were supposed to be doing.

But in our current society, I can’t blame any school employee who doesn’t want to paddle students.

5 Likes

'Have to agree with Ron43xMOS. The school board in that town responded to the parent’s wishes. Each parent had to sign off on whether they would allow the school to paddle or not their individual child. It establishes consequences for behavior. I grew up with it and have been told that I’m a normal adult. There’s little wrong with old-fashioned values.

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @Dave4928

I agree that this particular case is in concert and with approval of the parents. That, at least, is a proper way to keep the parents involved.

4 Likes

@Dave4928
Welcome to the family brother and God bless you.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Dave4928

3 Likes

@Johnnyq60 I went to all public schools and when I reached junior high and all thru high school I had to make my own paddle for the teachers if the wanted one, and most wanted air holes in them also :grimacing:. When and if it came time to get paddled most teachers would ask you one cup of tea or two, if you said one you got a lot more than two :rage::grimacing::astonished:. All was approved by the parents, but back then we had discipline at home also​:+1:. Now as for some kids waiting for the teacher after school that happened also, most of the time it didn’t work out well for the kid​:thinking:. That’s my school story, have a good one Al. :sunglasses: :us: :us: :us:

3 Likes

@Dave4928 Welcome to the community. :us: :us: :us:

3 Likes

So you’re OK with government employees (teachers) striking/beating your children to make them conform to the norms set by those government employees?

3 Likes

Government employees striking/beating your children with a paddle – maybe with airholes drilled in them to make the blows more painful – to force your children to conform with the norms set by these government employees. Not the world I want to live in.

2 Likes

I think this discussion is purely academic. Adult striking a child other than in self defence, is assault, child abuse, prob. a few more charges.
What about racial component? White teacher striking a Black child? I dont see it. Only White children are to be beaten? I dont see it.
If you ask me, school board not seeing these issues and making some kind of ruling about spanking, indicates school board idiocy, need for replacement.

2 Likes

I think “the board of education” applied early on will work wonders for our youth. Respect seems to be seriously lacking now days.

3 Likes

Parents and parenting are a thing of the past!
That’s the problem, no one seems to want to take responsibility for breeding the dregs of society. They are literally running around like animals. Lord of the flies on a much larger scale!
Just because you can breed doesn’t make someone a parent! That goes for any guy who thinks he can breed! If you breed it, you discipline it!

4 Likes

Today? I think that ship has sailed. We will never see it. In the old days, the “norms” were much different that what we have today.

5 Likes

Is a hearty “Amen” appropriate on this forum? If so, Amen!

6 Likes

In our wood shop we would get the board if we broke any safety rules. This was way better than losing a finger or at that a hand. There was no horse playing going on in that classroom!

6 Likes

The strange thing is how violent crime rates were higher back in the day than they are now.

I know, I know, the media paints a different picture. But…check FBI UCR over the decades to see the actual.

5 Likes

If they wait in the parking lot because their baby was paddled, they’re likely to do the same for a suspension.

3 Likes

Even though I already said that I side with the teachers who don’t want to participate in corporal punishment, I think you went too far in your response. A parent who agrees to let their child be paddled is not a child abuser. And if we really believed that those parents were ok with child abuse, then is it somehow better to send the student home for a week of suspension, to be spent at the home of said child abusers?

4 Likes

@Don9
The way society is nowadays I have to agree with you. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

I mostly agree on everything you’ve stated. I’ve enjoyed reading your perspective (as I always do anywhere on this forum).

The principal in the school I attended paddled kids. I never received it at school, because I knew I’d get it again and worse when I got home (and I got it plenty at home–which is probably why I didn’t get it at school!).

Years ago, a lady at my church apologized to me for something she did to me as a kid. She apparently used some level of physical force in response to something I did and she felt bad about it years later. I laughed it off because #1 I don’t remember it and #2 I assuredly deserved it. However, philosophically (and maybe theologically) I believe that spanking is parent territory. That doesn’t make it wrong for others to do it. And if my kid would have been appropriately paddled, I would have supported the paddling at least in front of my kids. Which is another problem: parents criticize the authority and support their kids when they are wrong rather than the authority that is trying to discipline (see the word “disciple” in there?) and train their kid.

I understand and appreciate the doctrine of in loco parentis (in the place of parents). Our school has that language in our handbooks.

I appreciate your perspective. You challenge my thinking. Keep it up!

3 Likes