The Lemon-Squeezer: The .38 That Wasn’t Special | USCCA

It can be easy to forget (or never know in the first place) that as far as turn-of-the-20th-century handgunning in America went, the .38 Special was the hottest ticket in town. As the world transitioned from black-powder cartridges to the new smokeless rounds such as Smith & Wesson’s “Special,” men like John Browning and Elmer Keith began designing new cartridges and projectiles specifically tailored to this new propellant. Performance increased drastically, and all of a sudden, a bare-lead, round-nosed slug ambling along at 650 feet per second was as cutting-edge as a powdered wig as far as the cool kids were concerned.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/the-lemon-squeezer-the-38-that-wasnt-special/
1 Like

Do you have a .38 Special?

1 Like

Yes. Colt Diamondback, blued, 4" barrel. Way-cool. :+1:
…and apropos reference to the powdered wig. I found that to be funny. :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, I have my late father’s Smith & Wesson .38 SPL. And I’ve shot it a few times as well. But I don’t like it. It has fixed sights that cannot be adjusted at all. and it shoots very low at 11 yards and to the left as well. But I have it for the fact it was my late father’s.