The image of gun owners

A Good Thought. Thanks for sharing.
I really liked the pics… Thanks

1 Like

She was raised in TR’s house after her parents died. I wouldn’t be surprised a bit to learn that she carried.

1 Like

“Then-Senator Truman shows off”… his lack of firearm safety.

As does Theodore Roosevelt…

… and Reagan:

… and Eleanor Roosevelt:

Seems many kept their fingers on the trigger. Was that the way it was taught then, or was it lack of being taught? I can’t recall exactly at what age I was taught, as I was very young, but I do know I learned not to put my finger on the trigger until ready to shoot, which, of course, involved ensuring that there was nothing in front of nor behind the target that I did not intend on shooting.

2 Likes

Does anyone recall seeing the photograph? What happened to it?

I cannot prove it, but I think the rule for trigger finger discipline only became extant as Lt Col Jeff Cooper’s rules took hold in the mid-20th century. Others with deeper knowledge of Cooper’s history may be able to verify this belief;

3 Likes

I think owning a firearm was as normal as owning a toothbrush! Handling it was no different, I didn’t look close enough, but some photos seem to be unloaded. Not an excuse! The lesson in those days, was don’t point! Correct it wasn’t til Col. Cooper instructed us on the correct handling of a firearm.
How many negligent discharges occurred during that period, barring Dick Cheney!
They don’t teach kids anymore, you want to know something ( wait one, I’m going to puke ) Google it. Sorry, Google doesn’t teach safety, Google removes it from the world and calls it safe. These past couple of generations, if it ain’t on google, it didn’t happen!
We need responsible loving parents to teach.
Ever notice how people with guns look a lot happier than those without!

Even our ads on this site show trigger finger on trigger!

1 Like

I don’t know, I’m in my 60’s. learned about guns as a young kid in the mid 1960’s. Never had an “Instructor” didn’t take any classes and we were taught to Never Ever point a gun at a person and never ever put our finger on the trigger until ready to shoot. Maybe that’s just how my mom and dad saw the world in those days.

2 Likes

I was a one-year gun owner with a rifle and two handguns when I first learned about it.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. It’s the same with movies . With the exception of Keanu Reeves, Hallie Berry, and very few others the finger goes right on the trigger when they pick up a gun. Setting a very bad example.

1 Like

Totally!!! This is exactly one of many reasons I love hanging out at the range. Even if I’m not shooting, there are plenty of happy, friendly people there who just love to talk about the hobby/craft/right. I think we might be less worried!

5 Likes

I think in most instances people were following Hollywood’s example of gun safety :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Some may laugh at that statement but until you see someone at the range trying to shoot like in a movie then you think to yourself, why am I not rich if there is so many ignorant people out there?

6 Likes

Think of the generation that learned to drive watching Dukes of Hazard, Starsky & Hutch and The Rockford Files! :flushed:

5 Likes

:rofl::joy::laughing::rofl::joy::laughing:

1 Like

Hey, I resemble that! LOL

1 Like

Yes. But have you ever watched how actors drive in the movies? They can’t even get that right.

5 Likes

I was so encouraged when I went to the range recently to see a new CCW class of mostly grandmas. We connected and laughed about being the grandma brigade. Nice image

Images

5 Likes

This could be “The image of gun owners”. The “Good Guy with a gun” protecting his family. :slightly_smiling_face:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/colorado-homeowner-emptied-pistol-to-kill-bear-that-broke-in/ar-AA10OBE2?cvid=25e9ea3a03ef453983468d323332afbd

2 Likes

Yup! My wife and I walk our small dog in the evenings - he’s a yummy treat in the eyes of the coyotes that live in our area. And we have plenty of them. So I’m always armed whenever we’re out with or without him. Pesky varmints.

There’s no bag limit on coyotes in Wisconsin!

4 Likes

Maybe, maybe not. “Unlocked door” is a bit of a spoiler here, lack of attention to details.