The Great Caliber Debate

To quote John Lithgow’s character in Harry and the Hendersons
“Well, we’ve got some big guns, and some big BIG guns, but I’m afraid we’re all out of BIG BIG ammo.”

3 Likes

The SIG SAUER P320 Compact (IWB) or the Glock 17 Gen 4 (OWB) is not to bad.
I am 5’11" 225 in weight and I CANT (To My Left) the holster and firearm some.

Your the man in charge, sir.

2 Likes

Loved shooting the desert eagle 50AE so I guess I’m good with that. :grin: But I can’t imagine carrying it.

2 Likes

Zee, to start our communication here, with all humor and joking, I am not big enough to carry a firearm that weighs in at 5 Pounds. I can carry up 42 ounces and ammo and still be able to move around. The Glock 30 w/ammo is great to conceal and carry and practice; fully hidden. I enjoy a Glock 20 for exercise.

The reason for this note is that I wish we can squeeze CONCEALED and CARRY Fundamental in to open to newer parts of USCCA Families. I am not a Lawyer or do I know everything , but this can be opened to Questions and Answers Groups for all of us. All of us can need some refreshment and become even better. Maybe you are there already, but it can’t hurt to try, knocking on that door. BASICS and FREE !

I have been run into by some people that do not Study, Practice, or Have a USCCA in their life or home. But they have some crazy ideas and attitudes. This is time to WALK AWAY !!!

Thank you,

William H. Smith Jr.

1 Like

@Dawn, great advice. I know we’re in argument territory, but you are correct. Even if one believes it is an inferior or at least less effective round, there are many instances where this is the best option.
They make a lot of noise but are easier on the shooter. The shooter may spend much more trigger time with 22 lr. If you want .22 comfort with more power, try out a Keltec PMR 30. Later models only where they are much more reliable. 30 rounds of .22 WMR in a standard sized but light auto handgun. I’ll probably have detractors here, but I have one, and it’s reliable and fun at the range. Just think; with one extra mag, you have 60 available rounds. Less reloading at the range, and one less thing to have to think about in a danger situation is a pretty nice plus.

2 Likes

@45IPAC
Yep, and a .22 LR in the hand is better than a finger poke in the eye.

5 Likes

Never bring a stabby stick, to a Yeet Cannon Boogaloo.

2 Likes

3 Likes

I think I’ve seen that somewhere :smirk:.

2 Likes

That’s the movie where he “rekilled” the dead bad guy.

4 Likes

@Zee You should try the .50GI. Hollowpoint almost looks like an ashtray! But very easy to shoot, pretty much like a .45. Only downside is the cost of ammo, as far as I know, all you can get unless you reload is from Guncrafter… .50GI next to a lowly .45ACP…

2 Likes

After he slapped the dead guy around first.

1 Like

I’ve shot the .50AE desert eagle (we sold it because it was expensive to shoot too) but I haven’t seen anything in .50gi.
I had fun shooting the desert eagle :grin:

1 Like

I almost got a Desert Eagle in an auction a while back.
Probably a good thing I didn’t. It’s a gift that keeps on costing.

3 Likes

After reading the blog article on Lehigh Defence .32 ACP XC ammo I checked out their web site and read up on the bullet and was directed to Underwood Ammo for a similar loaded round.
I read the reviews (17- 5 star) and I went on You Tube and watched several tests on 2" barrel .32s.
I purchased 2- 20 round boxes of 55 grain Extreme Defender at $25.99 a box. These seem to be a good choice for winter carry or anytime with a smaller caliber and shorter barrel. All reviews were positive for feeding, firing, ejecting and penetration tests.

3 Likes

I am glad you did some research and found quality ammo for your .32 ACP! What kind of .32 do you own?

2 Likes

Beretta Tomcat.

2 Likes

45ACP is my fav, because I hit best with a 1911 under stress or otherwise, and 9 rounds is enough before a mag swap if it gets that bad IMO.

That said, the very best caliber is the one you will carry and can accurately place shots with. I dont want shot with any round, 22 included, so carry what you can hit with. We all have our fav I suppose, mines 45 for no reason other than I am most accurate and fastest out of a 5" 1911 with that round. Sure, its impossible for an attacker to not bleed from a half inch hole, but theyll run to avoid a 0.2 inch one as well.

7 Likes

^^^ excellent point.

4 Likes

I chose 9mm for a couple reasons. It is effective, affordable, offers many choices in defense rounds, and because its so common, I would be most likely to find it anywhere (except Walmart, Dick’s, etc).

4 Likes