The Aftermath: Noisy Neighbors

In today’s anti-gun society AND in California… the Eureka, CA gentleman in the story is pretty dang lucky for it to turn out as being ruled self-defense! Count your lucky stars, my friend. I would have definitely called local law enforcement first. BUT, with that said, the intruder DID enter the defender’s home. Yes, the shooting was definitely justified, IMHO.

4 Likes

I would find it difficult to find this individual , who may have been in distress by the loud sound, innocent of aggravating the situation. You can’t hunt someone down, and then expect to be able to call self defense. A 911 call would have sufficed. In any event, in the days following he still lives in this neighborhood, and just maybe one of the participants on the other side just might find a way to “get even” . He put himself at great risk on that evening, and all the evenings following. Good luck.

6 Likes

First, it is not acceptable to leave the protection of your home. Call law enforcement and let them handle the situation. One may be incorrect in assessing the situation. Law enforcement can make a correct determination. It is their job.

3 Likes

Being the fact that there were several people, the prudent and not cowardly thing, would have been to call law enforcement. This is no different than a road rage incident, and you think that by brandishing your weapon they will cease raging, yet in one incident when a couple with the woman driving and the man just held up his gun, and not even pointing it at them, to show them he was armed, the road ragers, upon seeing the gun called the police. The husband was arrested and charged with aggravated assault.

So confronting these revelers could have turned out very bad especially if all of them were carrying guns, whether legal or illegal. After attacking them with pepper spray, they may have felt their lives were being threatened and defended themselves.

And finally, depending on who these people are, after shooting one of them, you leave yourself open to retaliation, and the worse thing, they know where you live. Had they been the ones breaking in with no provocation, different story!

4 Likes

and here is the rest of the story…

If I was supposed to get an E-mail today… ???

Although inconvenient and bothersome I would not have engaged particularly if there were several people engaging in this behavior. Knowing when to act, react and respond is key. I would have simply called the police and asked them not to address me when they arrived to keep me out of it. Not the way I would have handled it.

2 Likes

If it’s a one time thing, you have to grin and bear it. Call the police, if you can’t. I don’t think being in the right is worth having a possible death on your hands.

4 Likes

I concur

1 Like

Surprising there were no charges, especially in California.
Particularly the individual on the porch taking a misdirected round. I can’t help but to believe there are details either a miss or misinterpreted…

2 Likes

I have some of those in my building right above of me and they never stop. I called the police multiple times and they ended up fighting with the police. I can’t call any more because nothing happens when they comes, but I think that coming out at 3 am was not too smart from him.

2 Likes

Just a caveat Jennifer, the Police would have to address you, you being the calling complainant. Hopefully there would be no reprisals by any of the parties against you afterward.

Unfortunately having been in this situation as a former real estate manager I have had to make several calls for these types of complaints. I have always requested not to be approached specifically for fear of recourse. The police has always complied and instead called me for follow up questions etc.

2 Likes

Well let me say this . First I’m a first timer CPL with USCCA Insurance . The first thing I would have done was not to go out side & provoke an argument , because it will get ugly. I would have simply carefully tried to see what’s going on. Then called the police .

The thing he did right was break away and get inside . Now here’s the hard part.

If I was a Prosecutor I might not have thought him justified coming out and opening fire . One the argument was amongst the neighbors , now don’t get me wrong unless your King Kong, why on earth go out with pepper spray and confront ?

I’d say he got lucky :four_leaf_clover: I’d call police first.
If I have to ever pull my gun I wanna make :100: % sure that it’s total self defense not provoked . Hope I’m not wrong here . Thanks

2 Likes

As long as they stay outside and just shouting at each other is fine with me. If it gets worse call the police.

2 Likes

I call the police and let them deal with it

4 Likes

I agree going out and speaking with them at 3o’clock in the morning is not a good idea but I’m telling you in many areas of the United States the police departments are so depleted they do not have officers to send to calls like that. Where I live I was told by a local law-enforcement officer normal staffing for our department would be 238 officers but our department is currently down to 180. No one wants to be the police anymore so they are unable to hire replacements.
If society expects to defund police departments and eliminate qualified immunity for officers then they better also except the fact that citizens are going to be defending themselves in more instances

4 Likes

As I may have initially gone and asked the neighbors to tune down, if I were confront with a hostile reply, my next move would have been to call Law Enforcement. I already know they are hostile, they out number me. This Gentleman was clearly not thinking clearly. I understand sleepy, aggravated, but to quick to try to force a situation. In my personal opinion, he got lucky. I would not have been that lenient to him. Firearms carry great responsibility, they are last response. And those that understand this are the survivors. He got lucky.

3 Likes

I would have called the Police. After all, it was outside.

1 Like

I have gone out to them and explained their noise has woke my kids etc. Usually that’s enough for them to desist. It’s all in the asking. I didn’t get high and mighty or even mean. I just told them they woke our family and they dispersed, and they were drunk. No police.
On the other hand we were once woke by a bad fight, called the police before I went out to where they were.
I was carrying but did not get close enough to start any thing. Police evaded up with one of the combatants arrested

1 Like

Put earplugs in

3 Likes