The Aftermath: Fowl Play Prevented by Armed Customer

Welcome to Aftermath, a portion of our First Line email newsletter where Attorney Anthony L. DeWitt walks you through a real-life self-defense incident and shares his key takeaways.

A customer at Church’s Chicken in Port Arthur, Texas, was busy munching his deep-fried
chicken when a pair of armed robbers entered the store. The customer wiped his hands, drew his
firearm and shot both robbers, who then fled the store. Police located one robber at the local
hospital where his gunshot wounds were determined to be fatal. The other wounded robber was
arrested. The intervening defender was not charged.

Have you participated in scenario-based training designed to address multiple threats?

12 Likes

I have done some dryfire and range practice simulating multiple threats. But I haven’t practiced the calmly cleaning the chicken grease from my fingers before drawing technique!

Would really like to do some force on force scenario training some day when time and funds allow.

10 Likes

I have not, and I don’t know where to find any in my area. Any suggestions on where to search for such training?

5 Likes

Never come between a man and his 2-piece and biscuit.

4 Likes

The detail about wiping his hands kind of gets me. Glad he stopped the threat and no one else got injured.

I’ve not done any multiple threat scenario training. I probably should.

1 Like

I think Tactical Hyve has multiple threat training. I’m sure USCCA has some video’s on it at least (in fact I think I’ve seen some on Youtube concerning home invasion).

Videos definitely, but I don’t take the OP question to be asking if I have watched scenario based videos from my couch. Thanks for the suggestion, Hyve doesn’t seem to offer anything in my area though

2 Likes

That is the issue isn’t it. There seem to be a number of great courses out there, but they often require travel.

2 Likes

That is the catch. The PTO not to mention money to travel across the country for something like that, I tend to not have. I suppose it could be a matter of priority, but also, realistically…there are other safety minded things I could put that time and money towards that IMO are more likely to save a life. I really need to sign up for a paid and in depth first aid type class first really.

5 Likes

Yes, I’m doing this on regular basis. These days it is a big chance you have to engage multiple threats.

I’m wondering how those robbers were acting if the defender was able to wipe his hands before drawing the firearm. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

If you don’t mind my asking, where are you attending this scenario based training?

1 Like

I’ve got a few places I can choose from.
Most often I’m attending “Firearm Club” organized by my local Range. The big advantage is that we can use the whole range not sticking to booths and shooting lines. So all drills are dynamic with as many targets as we like.
The other source of training is “outdoor tactical training” organized by dozen Firearm Training groups in Chicago western suburbs - usually once per month
Once or twice per year I attend 2 or 3 days training classes, usually out of State, as a validation of my regular training. These are usually the most intense but give the most of skills improvement - you have no time for other stuff than sleep, eat, shoot/fight … not particularly in that order :wink:

4 Likes

May have had a few situations on watch, but never practiced the El Presidente on a regular basis! The chicken wiping maneuver is new to me. That’s one cool customer! They do say take your time and wait your turn, pew, pew!

Two shots, two customers, that’s dedication!
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast!

2 Likes

So basically I would need to move back to a gun hating state.
:+1:

2 Likes

Yeap, that’s how we, Responsibly Armed Illinoisans, train.
And no Governor is gonna take this training from us. :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

I posted on here a while back a scenario where we were in a Burger Joint, I was eating a sloppy Double H, when 3 young guys walked in acting all aggressive at the staff and other patrons. I had Grease and Sauce on both of my hands and wondered, at the time, if I could actually draw like that. I think someone suggested cooking oil so I tried it during dry fire. It’s not as easy as you may think.

6 Likes

Switch to salad😀

5 Likes

Cooking oil (in temp of 100F) is a great imitation of bloody hands. Yes, it’s a good idea to try it at least once to feel that moment and experience what may happen one day…

4 Likes

Agreed, has anyone looked into the e learning first aid with USCCA?

2 Likes

I’ve done the emergency first aid fundamentals in Qualification level 2 (platinum and elite members) and it’s good, as is the treating traumatic injuries series, and I own the emergency first aid fundamentals USCCA book as well as other books, but, hands on is what I personally should be doing next (and should prioritize above more firearms training, for me, right now)

4 Likes