The 1st

This is 100% true. I don’t know if a true “unbiased” new organization has ever existed. Large cities used to have competing newspapers, and people would buy the paper that fed their bias. Today, they find the online news feed that doesn’t threaten their echo chamber. The problem has always existed, but technology makes good things better and bad things worse.

3 Likes

No access? Come on, just open Das Kapital! I am sorry, but there is no fresh thinking on the opposing side. Equitable housing, for example, I read about it in Dr.Zhivago. Inclusive language - 1984. I will appreciate it if someone proves me wrong.

1 Like

Echo chambers and dogmatic thinking are bad, no dispute. The lack of civil discourse makes things even worse. How long can you brand people deplorables, Earth killers, etc before they turn hostile and tune out.

3 Likes

I wish I could prove you wrong, but what is old is now new because no one reads history books anymore.

3 Likes

That was the whole point of parler
They still have both viewpoints that twitter and facebook are silencing and now becoming the echo chambers because any other views are banned

3 Likes

Parler seems to be in dire straights. Amazon has said they are kicking them off of their AWS platform on Sunday. Parler’s CEO says it will be at least a week before they can get setup somewhere else.

AWS says the reason they are kicking them off is they can’t keep posts inciting violence off the platform according to AWS terms of service. (more details in the article linked below).

2 Likes

John @ Parler posted they should be back on Tuesday. I’m supportive of them because I’m not in favor of censorship and am a big supporter of the Bill of Rights. I frankly think it’s despicable that people are openly advocating silencing others because they disagree with their opinion. It’s like these people have never read a history book before.

5 Likes

Rest assured there will be a forensic search/investigation of those hard drives. Even with all of the real time parsing and indexing of information that goes on real time.

Standing up a private web server is not that big of a deal and storage and MIPS are pretty darned cheap in the grand scheme. The problem is a single server can easily be compromised by even something as simple as flooding it with packets, fire, EMI, or power loss.
Enter distributed servers, even that is not exactly a science project now days, but it takes significantly more investment and coordination, along with the next level of technical expertise.
Where google got/gets their steroid injection is from corporate america preferring to transfer necessary infrastructure (read cost and expertise) as well as liability. The halls of the upper floors are overflowing with people who prefer to build their resume over taking personal accountability. So it just makes sense to ‘go with the expert’ when your career could be on the line. Sprinkle some 'economies of scale on top of all this along with the small business services for the guys that normally couldn’t manage their own IT and… viola Google is King.

But, none of this changes the fact that, with the right people involved, Parler could be up and running again in a week, maybe two, assuming they were smart enough to create their own backups ot their binary property.

1 Like

I wonder what attacks will follow when Parler divorces its infrastructure from the illiberal cloud providers, like Gab had done years ago. Is it going to be planting of illegal content by anonymous trolls, the electronic swatting? Is the utility company going to disconnect their power? You can boycott Amazon but not the utility company.
It is a shame that a legitimate American company is being forced by the illiberals into the darkweb, TOR anonymity, sharing same space with pirated content, drug sales and worse.

2 Likes

This is why one can’t post honest thoughts about anything anymore. And that is how democracy wlll fall, whether it is this attempt or a future one, unless the peoples stand up for what they believe in…here in America. If they don’t stand up for American values, they should be free to go elsewhere. There are a lot of places to live, and I wouldn’t want to push a bounder up hill all of my life.

Kristalnacht in Germany was done not by the Army, or German Police, but by uniformed paramilitary goons. Amazon, Google and Apple are trying hard to become the SS for the Party.
How about - no vaccine passport, no Amazon delivery and no grocery store access for you?

2 Likes

My concern for Parler (and any other non-liberal websites) is that at some point (in fact many points) you are trusting your infrastructure to someone else. You may own the server, but it’s unlikely you own the network connection to the internet, the power company, the banks to process your payments, etc. How many of those legs that any business stands on will give out under pressure? I’m not sure I want to find out.

If I had to guess, I’d say the safest location would be one of those off-shore datacenters like the kind that used to (still does?) host wikileaks.

2 Likes

I’m sure many companies are watching this and noting how quickly Amazon could take them offline.

1 Like

The irony in all this is that after purge 1 is complete purge 2 will take out the same people that led the charge for purge 1. They will have to be removed because it would be too risky to leave them in place with the power to erase entire groups/classes of people.

I just would like to see the faces of these tech clowns when they realize they are on the menu.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t ACLU take up Parler’s case against the oppressive Big Tech? Parler should write an open plea to ACLU (just to mock them)
But if there were a crowdfunded lawsuit on Parler’s bahalf, I would support it.

2 Likes

Anytime you have the likes of facebook, twitter, apple ,google or any other big tech wanting something to go away or trying to squash it. I am going to look into it.
They are scared you will take your ideas and views somewhere else that they cannot control. How many have they silenced already…
So stand behind a Multi millionaire that is known to support the left and that agenda
Me … I look for an alternate to the overlords

2 Likes

The ACLU gave up on free speech years ago, when they announced that they would only defend people with acceptable views. They are no longer the storied organization that sent a black attorney to defend the KKK.

1 Like

I recall President Trump giving a DoD contract to Microsoft over Amazon. I guess they think it is a form of payback.

Bans like this have proven futule. Let the Big Tech prove their impotence, all they are doing is to strengthen Parler, Gab and other censorahip-free platforms

I subjected myself to a bit of Sunday Talking Head TV, this morning. A congressman was sent to say that GOP officials who didn’t denounce Trump quickly enough need to be removed. That’s the bar they’re testing today: not what you said about Trump, but how fast you said it.

I’m not sure anyone on Capitol Hill believes in free speech. And if the 1st Amendment means so little to them, you can imagine what they think about 2A.

BTW, according to CNN (no friend to Trump) today, Trump will be impeached this week. Pelosi says his impeachable offense was telling his supporters they had to “stay strong.” I am not making that up. Words of encouragement are now considered high crimes and misdemeanors.

3 Likes