Tennessee Passes Bill Making Drunk Drivers Pay Child Support If They Kill A...

5 Likes

My question would be how will you pay child support from prison?

7 Likes

Same question I have!
Feel good legislation that only lawyers and politicians will profit from. I put it up there with hate crime.

5 Likes

I’m sure the legislature thought of this, and have decided that those failing to pay support will be sent to pris…ah, nevermind.

6 Likes

:yum: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face: Oh my !

1 Like

If you read the bill you will see that there provisions in it for that.

1 Like

Deserves 100👍🏿

1 Like

Why not murders or those that are convicted of manslaughter? Those victims are equally dead and a person was identified as legally responsible. So shouldn’t they need to support the victims families? Isn’t that what civil wrongful death suits are for? Seems to be another “feel good” law.

6 Likes

That was my first thought. This seems like just another one of the thousands of ineffective laws that get put in the books so politicians can pat themselves on the back and say look we did something!

The penalties for killing someone while driving drunk are already quite punitive. Unfortunately most drunk people don’t stop to think about all the laws they are breaking.

7 Likes

I believe that holds true with most criminals, unless they have law degrees.

5 Likes

The short time I was a fed prison guard in the 90s, inmate workers made 3cents an hour. Big bucks to support a child missing a parent(s).

2 Likes

As I like to say on things like this: good idea, wrong direction. In this situation it only make to so-so idea.

2 Likes

I have been the recipient of prison worker products as a state employee. They probably are overpaid based on quality, but I understand your point.

2 Likes

Because they did not mean to kill anyone they were not trying to kill man slander is when some one dies and who killed them had no intentions of killing them understand that :question::broken_heart:

That’s not fair to the children and we know that people in prison make money for the state and the government. Do we not :question::question::chile:Bobby Jean :feather::feather:

1 Like

I know I have read what has been said and it’s terrible and I get it I truly do :broken_heart::bangbang::100:. I know if you kill some one with your edc and you were just trying to protect yourself and your family should you be put to DEATH FOR IT AND YOU JUST WANTED TO SAVE YOUR FAMILY :question::question: Not drücken driving but defense of your family. How about that :question::question::question::question::question::broken_heart::broken_heart: Bobby Jean :feather::feather:

Of course I do. I still do not see where that absolves one of responsibility. I understand that the punishment, if any, would be less than if you planned to kill and did. The issue is that if one is requiring payments to a victim’s family, it does not matter the circumstances of that death; life insurance policies payout, regardless. Yes, I know, not for suicide within a certain period of time of issuance, then they do.

Of course not, that is a totally different set of circumstances - self-defense. We do know that you could suffer penalties if you inflicted harm on an innocent during that same incident, though, or was deemed to be excessive force.

1 Like