Tactical Tuesday: FBI Qualification Stage 1 & 2

Go to TRAINING at the top of the screen and click on it. It will ask you for a zip code and then it will give you classes available near you. You can also go to the top section and click on FIND A RANGE.

1 Like

I finally got around to shooting this test today. I hadn’t been to the range in about 2 months and have never shot with a timer before so my shooting was a little more rushed than it needed to be and I was a bit sloppier than usual. I did not have an FBI target so used the inner portion of an IDPA target that is a slightly different shape and a little smaller over all. Scored 94 out of 100 so reasonably happy. My 3 misses were all about an inch off the target area.

2 Likes

Here is the target. Was trending a bit left for some reason. I am left handed and usually veer a hair to the right when out of practice or in a rush. This was with a Glock 19 stock except for night sights with an orange ring on the front. Thinking of trying it with my LCP 2 for fun though I haven’t tried shooting past 10 yards with it so the 25 yard drill could be a challenge.

Should qualify that I did the whole test as described in the sheet above not just the first two stages shown in the video. I put the pasties on between each round so I could easily discern hits and misses per round. So that is a 50 shot group with 2 shots just out of the inner target area and one shot hitting the left post just above the outer cardboard. the rest scored in the target area.

Interested if folks think this test is a decent measure of skills? The time limits seem pretty generous to me. I finished several of the tests in around half the allotted time. Can definitely see how training with my new timer will improve my draw and reload speeds a lot further. The target size and two points for hitting anywhere does not require or reward a lot for precision. So maybe this isn’t the best measure of defenses shooting skills?

2 Likes

Well, it is a minimum standard for FBI agents (who typically never discharge a firearm in the line of duty during their entire careers) to be allowed to carry a duty pistol. If you keep it in the proper context, then I believe it is a good standard of minimal proficiency for any org to authorize anyone to carry a pistol. Realize that when an org authorizes someone to carry a firearm, that org is accepting a certain tacit responsibility for that individual’s behavior and performance with regard to the firearm. And that, my friend, is actually what all of this “minimum standard” qualification stuff is about.

2 Likes

On the proficiency scale I would definitely consider myself far closer to the minimal side of things than the expert side. Just looking for drills and challenges to help push and measure my progress. Thanks for the input!

I look at it from time to time to see improvements that I have been working on. I see it as a learning tool and self analyzation of improvements on my training. It is the same with other drills, am I improving or am I slacking. It is that ever going goal of getting better.

1 Like

The last time I did this drill, One miss with weak hand. I have been working on that.

2 Likes

Please correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn’t a CCW person be responsible for any shots fired that missed the legit target? Say, property damage or damage to a person unrelated to the (assuming) legitimate shooting?

Not saying training is not a good thing, I suspect most here train to some level to prevent missing the target in a self defense shooting. But, to my knowledge there is no established level of expected skill from a CCW in my state, beyond the (incredibly) simple qualification shooting for the required test. And I am not sure there should be a required level, as that would (in my opinion) get into the “bear” part of the 2A.

I like ‘qualification training’ stuff, as it does give you goals, and an indication of where you are, and how you progress, as opposed to simply putting holes in targets.

1 Like

I just think of it as improving my chances. If I stay attuned to the things I have been training for, I should fare well through it. One thing I want to throw in this is, avoidance, escape and evading. There should be a drill to practice. I always look around for avenues of escape from any place I go to. This is really the first skill that a person uses and uses frequently. Avoidance of bad traffic is one of them.

2 Likes

Yes Sir. If you can avoid it, probably the best way to go.

1 Like