Tactical medics approved to carry handguns

4 Likes

Seems like a “NO BRAINER” to me given the hostile climate to anyone with a law enforcement
identifier on their back.

3 Likes

Coming from the Navy as a EOD medic (Enhanced Training, equivalent to surgical assistant) to civilian flight medic in Alabama. Was a huge change for me. I showed up with firearm in thigh tie down holster, quick access med kit on other and ballistic bag to load supplies in.

They lost their collective minds. I had even asked about loadout for first day, they said bring what you usually brought, so I did. I seriously thought I was going to jail.

Alabama at that time carried 18 meds on board… 18. 3 of which were Ipecac, Activated Charcoal, and Narcan. In Alabama I was good enough to put in a heart line or IV in a helicopter in a storm. But once a patient went over the Emergency Room line, he could code and I couldn’t touch him.

3 Likes

I hope the concept of embedding tactical paramedics in SWAT catches on across the state/nation. One of my concerns with the active shooter scenario as a safety services member at my church is the delay in EMS care if there is an active shooter situation. Generally, my understanding is that EMS stays out until the building is cleared by LE. Having tactical paramedics who can get in sooner to start saving lives and giving them the opportunity to be able to defend themselves is a great idea.
This will really help speed up EMS care. GREAT news!

4 Likes

Zavier–that is hilarious. If you want to know where the liberals are–go to any hospital or health care setting.

2 Likes

@Zavier_D My brother I have felt your pain. As a recently retired IDC (Independent Duty Corpsman) I looked into the local EMS scene. I had to interview with the local EMS/Fire Chief. He asked me about what “I” thought were basic trauma questions. After about three of them and my treatment actions I could tell it wasn’t going well. Turns out to do the stuff I would normally do would require an MD or PA behind my name. Interviewed for PA School at EVMS here in Virginia. At the end of it the assembled group was most impressed and I said “So let me get this straight, I have to go to school for six years to do what I’ve been doing for the past 10?” The chairman sad “Yes.” I reached across the desk and took back my resume from the 2 PA’s, 2 MD’s and 4 nurses and said “Thank you for your time.” stood up and walked out. The looks on their faces were priceless. I got an MBA instead.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

@Craig6,

I did Civilian Flight Medic for 2 years, couldn’t take it anymore, with all of my certs, I was making right at $30,000 a year. I was making more bartending on weekends. Plus I was bored out of my mind, because we were basically just a glorified taxi doing Gomer totes. I quit and went to work for a rural company, pay was worse but we got to do, you know the things we trained to do. But was only making $26,000.

Only way to make a survivable wage was to get on as a flight medic with the Fire Department. Tested #1 in County, they had to go to #27 on list. As the city was under an affirmative action lawsuit for hiring.

So in the 90’s in Alabama, you weren’t being treated by the most qualified. You were being treated by “good enough”.

Nothing against Affirmative Action, I understand the how and the why, just don’t think it has a place when lives are at stake.

Rural paramedic and rural EMS in Alabama are pretty much all in a bad way. Way to many volunteer departments without near enough training.

Secret :chipmunk: edit: Special Trained Medics are trained up to be the equivalent of a surgical assistant. So basically we could do anything a Trauma Dr. could do except for eyes and teeth.

YMMV

2 Likes