Switching Between Weapon Formats

Interesting, an ancient Greek Philosopher, pre-Socrates,…

Hmm, and I thought I read some unusual topics.

1 Like

I ware my sig m11-A1 inside the waistband cross draw and my CZ 75 compact outside the waistband strong side, the CZ has a safty and the sig a decocker I train with both as much as ammunition will allow never had any problem either way.

3 Likes

ScoutBob I’ve been searching high and low for a Elite Shield EZ BUT have had NO luck.:pensive:I dont kko how to get ohe!

1 Like

Guess what I went out to take a look at the Hellcat myself at the store and nice sized one! I bought tan one with red dot option! Now gonna wait till Tuesday to pick it up!

2 Likes

If you are already accustom to the Shield with a safety, get the M&P Compact with a safety. Just a little fatter gun in all reality. Or, for the flip side of this coin, get the Compact without a safety, and just stop using the safety on the Shield.

4 Likes

I examined a p365 XL with an external safety today. Not saying I fell in love, I wish it fit more in my hand, but it’s size, weight, and capacity might be perfect for me… and the safety fits right in with what I’m used to.

I might just stick with my shields anyway. They’re a good size, but not a heavy weight. I definitely won’t buy a gun until ammo becomes more available. Still open to a compact or subcompact M&P too.

3 Likes

Good choice. ! :+1:
M&P 2.0 and P365 have the best thumb safety from the family of all striker fired pistols.
I’m glad you like Shield’s safety lever… it doesn’t work for me well… I like 1911 style, so I can feel it under my thumb.

2 Likes

Ammo may be a problem for the foreseeable future.

Purchase a firearm with common ammo. A .38 / .357 (Allows use of two calibers), a 9mm or a .45 ACP, .380 or .32

While .41 Magnum, .327, .40 (and I know .40 is still fairly common, but…) and other good rds but more difficult to obtain in good times…

If the SHTF, and you need ammo, ‘spoils of war’. Have firearms that can use ammunition that you obtain from those who came before

It might be a less probable situation, but common ammunition will be more readily available even in shortages.

3 Likes

I don’t believe there is such a firearm. Did you get any help?

I think she might be referring to the. 380 shield. It is referred to as EZ.

2 Likes

Agreed. Just wanted to be sure she found what she was looking for👍

1 Like

The EZ has been flying off shelves. You could look into the original shield 9mm. It’s harder to rack, but with practice and technique I doubt it would be a problem.

I think the EZ has too much on it. I like simplicity.

2 Likes

I too favor the 1911 style safety if the pistol has one. Carry a 365xl no safety and shoot competition with a 1911/2011. My self defense training was the 365xl and I had no issues with the differences. Maybe a bit slower with the striker fired. Under stress of real world encounter? I hope to never find out.

4 Likes

I completely understand you point of view. However there are a lot of newbies that find racking even a 9mm difficult and want several actions of safety. The Shield .380 checks all the boxes. Feeling that your firearm is safe and manageable is the best way to start out.

2 Likes

When you first start to carry a lot of thought and second guessing goes along with it.
My first was a 92fs in a Crossbreed Supertuck , Liked the idea of the S/A D/A trigger instead of the safety
Now carry a P220c in 45. With the same system.
Practice and training is the only answer. Each will have it’s own characteristics. Like going from an automatic to a standard in a car. Practice at the range and at home until it becomes natural by the feel which pistol is in your hand and the muscle memory to do what

3 Likes

Carry a canik during the winter owb at 3. Normally a cross side fella. Always need a little practice with a change up. But 2 days practice & 300 or so pulls it comes back to me. All good

3 Likes

I have the Ruger Security 9 for my larger carry and the Ruger EC9S for my smaller carry when needed. Both guns have the same safety controls so my practice on one directly translates to the other. I am an RSO at an outdoor range and we all carry OWB open, so I use the Security 9 for that. I OWB, concealed, the EC9S as well in the same position as the Security 9. Having both guns of the same caliber, same holster position, and same controls helps me a lot. I need all the edge I can get at my age…LOL Oh, and BTW - I have a Ruger PC9 that uses the same magazines and my Security 9.

4 Likes

So I’ve decided to stick with my shields and m&p2.0 5”. Instead of putting money into a new gun, I’m going to put the money into upgrading the guns I have (one of which is an AR so it’s an endless pit of upgrades :joy:).

I’m just so comfortable carrying the shield, there’s really no reason not to stick with it. I’m going to upgrade the sites and stick with it.

4 Likes

Basically, it comes down to muscle memory from training.

It’s not unusual to have different sized weapons depending on what you’re doing, wearing, etc. And there are a wide variety of different types of safeties and other controls out there across different platforms.

But in the end - how do you train? If you train with a safety then occasional carry of a gun without isn’t an issue. If you train without one there may be an issue under pressure because your muscle memory may ‘forget’ to switch the safety off.

This is why most of my guns have similar controls for magazine release, safety, etc. Muscle memory on one transfers to another.

3 Likes

I have set up my finances so that I can get my CZ Rami by end of Jan. at the latest. Definitely before any President is sworn in.

3 Likes