Switching Between Weapon Formats

The simple solution to me seems to be get a compact with a safety. I’m familiar with the S&W 2.0 safety. I actually like that can ride it with my thumb.

I still want to be able to carry the shield for certain occasions. It’ll be easier to carry in some situations.

I may look into the 365XL with a manual safety though :thinking:. Anyone familiar with that one?

1 Like

My primary carry is my TP9SFX.

My backup and most carried where others can’t go. My NAA Mini revolver. 22wmr.

On occasion. The snub nose 38spl revolver is strapped on.

My other carry, G2C.

Rarely carried since I put it on my gamer brothers desk for him in case of unauthorized entry to home, my Ruger P95PR.

All have different safeties if any.

All I have practiced with to where its automatic to really the safety if applicable during the draw. I will on occasion, to ensure I am ready, do a couple practice draws flipping the safety off in the draw.

Biggest thing, be comfortable with your firearm. All of mine are quite different in feel in the hand, easier for muscle memory to kick in…

5 Likes

FWIW, I have two carry guns.
A S&W Centennial with no safety
A 1911 with safety.
Never had a problem switching back and forth.

5 Likes

Get a Hellcat! No problem!

4 Likes

But so far we agreed that “get Hellcat” will make a problem… :wink:

1 Like

There’s some wisdom here :thinking:.

2 Likes

Just another option… If you call S&W, you can purchase the plug for the safety if you decide you don’t want it.

1 Like

True,

I wish the shield was this easy remove the safety.

I still like the shield safety. I like that little extra safety for when I holster. However, I just don’t feel like it’s necessary at this point. BUT I’ve already put lots of money into the shields, so I don’t want them to become obsolete for carry, even if I get a new EDC.

4 Likes

Ok here is my 2 cents worth (that and 3 dollars might get you a cup of coffee).

I carry different platforms and different calibers depending on where I am going, what I am doing and what I am wearing.

Every persons brain works a little differently, for some what I do would be a major issue when the Oh Crap! time came. For me I know what I have with me and as I run situations in my mind it includes picturing the weapon I have with me and the steps it would take to use it if and when that was the only option left.

Some people (I am told) have a hard time doing that especially in a high stress situation. For me because I am always running these situations through my head before (and they almost never) happen I am prepared.

Do whats right for you but I guess the bottom line is train, train mentally as well as physically. To quote an old movie “Expect the unexpected” (bonus points if you can name the movie) and it is harder to be surprised and caught off guard.

Don

7 Likes

Nope wrong movie, but you can try again if you like.

Don

2 Likes

Most of my firearms have grip mag releases. My H&K VP’s have ambi levers that are part of the trigger guard. After getting used to the different operation it became a non issue. Simple as remembering which one you took out of the safe.

3 Likes

The M&P subcompact looks like a decent go for me too. Size wise, I don’t see any situation where the shield would be necessary over it, and I’d be able to put in the full size mags for HD.

I also like buying guns :joy:.

5 Likes

Stated by Oscar Wilde but japan movie by the same name in 98

3 Likes

Well The movie I was referring to is ROADHOUSE with Patrick Swayze

Don

3 Likes

I knew I heard that line somewhere! :rofl::joy:

Road house is the best worst movie :rofl::joy:. It’s so bad, but it’s also so good.

2 Likes

My wife is a huge Patrick Swayze fan. Anything he was in is a “great movie.” I disagree at my personal peril.

5 Likes

She who must be obeyed😁 (old tv reference, anyone?)

2 Likes

It’s actually a novel. “She” by H. RIder Haggard (1887).

3 Likes

This thread has really gotten me to looking at the CZ Rami BD as a compliment to my p-07 Duty.

3 Likes

A vague unknown movie… :slight_smile:

Expect the Unexpected

Was curious and let my fingers do the walking.

Oh, and of course, Patrick Swayze…

1 Like