Supreme Court says Sandy Hook families can sue Remington

I believe there is some deliberate misdirection going on in this article. The one I read yesterday (on Yahoo news feed) only mentioned SCOTUS in the headline. The actual article only cites the Supreme Court of Connecticut. A little bit of bait and switch. Despicable in a supposed “news” organization.

Maybe I’m wrong about that. I have only read the one Yahoo sourced article. If indeed the SCOTUS did take a pass on this one, it would not be out of character for them to do so. They sometimes choose to allow cases to move forward in the lower courts so that the specific law(s) may be fully tested and to see what arguments can be marshalled, both for and against. In addition, they may not want to be seen as jumping in too soon, thereby quashing due process. Once this case is over, whomever loses will almost certainly appeal. Sooner or later the SCOTUS will have to consider it again.

6 Likes

I agree completely.

5 Likes

I don’t think it will come back to the Supreme Court. The specific thing they are being sued over is marketing, which is specifically NOT covered under the PLCAA.

The plaintiffs will have to convince a judge/jury that their marketing was targeted at “at risk youth” and the marketing “made them do it”. Similar trials have come and gone in other industries (like suing McDonalds because you ate too many burgers), so it will be a tough sell.

However, the problem isnt whether or not Remington loses this particular court case. The problem is that anti-gunners have now found a way to file lawsuits that won’t immediately get thrown out. They will be able to bury firearms manufacturers with frivolous lawsuits and not have to worry about overturning any 2nd amendment.

2 Likes

Bloomberg’s anti-gun agenda is being felt throughout the nation and has even infected our court system. Bloomberg’s brothers and sisters in the media salivate every time there is a shooting, especially if it’s a mass-shooting. It is always used to promote more gun control, and with the recent attempt to hold a manufacturer responsible for when its product is used illegally, we can see just how shameless these creatures are in their determination to bankrupt makers of guns in the next step toward gun confiscation. Right now, the anti-gunners are making it difficult to get (with making it harder to pass a background check) and even keep (with Red Flag laws) firearms. This next step in their agenda involves going after the supply side of firearms, which, if successful, will ultimately make guns and their parts much scarcer and more expensive.

Should SCOTUS not get involved and stop this travesty of justice, we can expect to see more of the same, and not just against manufacturers of firearms, but also makers of ammunition and gun parts. And if the highest court should prove to be this corrupt, we can then expect to see lawsuits against the manufacturers of knives and baseball bats, and anything else that has been used in the commission of a crime. All we can do at this point is stay on top of what corrupt anti-gunners are doing in each state and spread the news about whatever the latest thing is that they are trying to do. Hopefully, more people will see that their efforts are just an end-run around the Second Amendment.

1 Like

What it would mean is the end of manufacturing in the United States period because the precedent would be set should they prevail.

These types of lawsuits have been the Holy Grail of the anti gunners since the idea first cropped up in the 90’s.

What the SCOTUS is i think errantly expecting here is that the next judge will do the right thing and throw the case out on the merits.

Unfortunately we no longer live in a constitutional republic where Jurists actually apply the law as written and within the bounds of the constitution across the board.

Far too many of them are political activists masquerading as judges and justices willing to roll the dice hoping the next higher court will side with them on appeal.

Remember more often than not it’s the side with the deepest pockets willing to fight to the end that prevails and all too often because of the insane expense of appeals that can easily run into the millions many times the defendants, even if they are absolutely right, are forced to settle either because their insurance carrier takes the choice away from them or if they are self funding they flat don’t have the money for the fight.

We no longer have “Equal Justice Under Law”, we have as much justice as you can afford.

4 Likes

I was just reading one source by Colin Noir, he said the lawyer claims that Remington broke advertising laws they impose on any products that places danger on the public which is a law in the state of Connecticut.

He goes on to say, “Don’t be fooled, it’s about money, money, and more money.”

3 Likes

I just saw a video from Colion Noir. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. He concluded that the endgame was not to win, but to sue repeatedly until the gun manufacturers go out of business. These jokers will do anything to circumvent the 2nd Amendment. Do they realize the implications of this?
:star2: While yall (anti-2A crowd) digging a hole to bury the 2nd Amendment, dig one for the remainder of the Bill of Rights too. The elites will not stop with the 2nd.

3 Likes

I saw it too after blog…

We need to get our representatives to send a letter in to the supreme court and reconsider.

2 Likes

Or the makers Tide pods ?! Because teenagers are not smart enough to know that you do not eat detergent.They thought it was a fun-dip go pack.

3 Likes

This was in the Connecticut supreme court can you really say you’re surprised. Remington has appealed to the US supreme court. With case law and briefs that defend those that sale items that others use to bring harm or death against others will reign supreme no pun intended over State ruling. We must continue to push law makers to pursue mental illnesses that brings violence against law abiding citizens and do everything possible to protect our constitutional rights and freedoms!

2 Likes

That’s horse crap how can you sue a manufacturer unless they themselves sold it to someone unauthorized to have it?

2 Likes

That is a common business practice… if you can’t beat them on the marketplace, take up all their time and money by making them defend themselves over and over. I’ve worked for two companies that were on the receiving side of that. I heard one lawyer say “we’ll just paper them to death. Discovery after discovery and subpoena after subpoena until they go out of business.” :rage:

4 Likes

Well, I will be watching this closely. I, personally, think pro2A advocates should “sue” for pain and suffering everytime we have to disarm to go into someplace with a no guns allowed sign. For false advertising. If they claim it’s family friendly. Or they claim anything that doesn’t include, hey we are going to make you leave your gun in your car, but we won’t have any security or anything to protect you other than that sign.

On a side note Zee, I lost a business back in the 90’s to that exact tactic. Very good one too. Even though I won in court and won attorney fees in my countersuit. They just declared bankruptcy.

4 Likes

I’ll never be an attorney like that!

I feel for those small business or even larger ones that barely have money for defense and they get stiffed.

2 Likes

The big middle finger!!! Hope this works out. :us:

1 Like