Supporting Law Enforcement

It definitely sounds like you are in a much different situation than others may find themselves in. If there are no kids in the home, leaving your firearm out on a nightstand isn’t a bad idea. It sounds like you are taking all the steps needed to make sure your firearms are safe and secure.

2 Likes

Yes sir we do our best to be aware. It seems like the these days just going shopping sometimes requires something akin to an OPLAN

1 Like

You have some great points here and things that I do agree with you on.

1. I love that you are constantly carrying in your home. I think more should do this, but not everyone does. For times where someone is not carrying and there are kids or others that should not have access to the firearm are present, it should be in something secure.

2. I completely agree, it is not the government’s job to legislate training, having a safe, or how to teach kids about firearms. I personally do not see Senator Marshall’s bill as “legislating” this as a requirement, but rather as an incentive for doing so. If some choose not to, then that is their choice as well. If a bill like this would include requirements for gun owners to do so, I would no longer support it.

3. Instructors have been hard to find for some in areas and the USCCA is working as hard as they can to get more instructors teaching our curriculum.

I am sorry to hear your friend is having a hard time getting into a class. Did they look for any USCCA courses being held in their area?

4 Likes

Back the blue when the Blue backs honest citizens. How can one offer blanket support for police? There are a few coppers who stray off the line and will railroad people to jack up their arrest numbers.

3 Likes

It’s a range thing, where you have to use one of their instructors.

Have a safe and happy New Year.

1 Like

Didn’t take long for someone to 'take Senator Scott’s idea about incentives and making it a requirement.

This is being introduced in the House Judiciary Committee today

"The first bill - HR 6370 - would force gun owners to store their firearms the way government bureaucrats demand.“

Now I’m just a good old Southern boy without all that fancy Ivory Tower education but that sure looks like a violation of at least 5 Constitutional Rights.

4 Likes

Out of curiosity (not because I think you are wrong, but I want to look into it myself), Where in that bill are you seeing that verbiage? All I can find on that bill relates to credit protections to consumers during the COVID-19. Not saying that they aren’t trying to sneak it in without being noticed.

I wouldn’t say that it’s taking Senator Scott’s idea. Gun storage requirements have been the topic of discussion for a while now and some states and local municipalities have adopted it into law in the past.

1 Like

We’re in a new session. Need to check this week’s HR 6370… :slightly_smiling_face:

My excerpting of what looks like the meat of the proposal:

``Safe Guns, Safe Kids Act’’.
[…]
Except as provided…, it shall be unlawful for a person to knowingly store or keep any firearm…on the premises of a residence under the control of the person if:
• the person knows, or reasonably should know, that a minor is likely to gain access to the firearm without the permission of the parent or guardian of the minor; and
• a minor obtains the firearm and uses the firearm in the commission of a crime or causes injury or death to such minor, or any other individual.
[…]
[S]hall not apply to a person if the person:
• keeps the firearm secure using a secure gun storage or safety device; or
• in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure; or
• carries the firearm on his or her person or within such close proximity thereto that the person can readily retrieve and use the firearm as if the person carried the firearm on his or her person.

from the Congressional Record for 10Jan2022:

[…]
By Ms. SLOTKIN:
H.R. 6370. A bill to amend chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, to require the safe storage of firearms, and for other purposes; to the Committee on the Judiciary.
[…]
By Ms. SLOTKIN: H.R. 6370.
Congress has the power to enact this legislation pursuant to the following:
Article 1, Section 8, Necessary and Proper Clause: ‘‘To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.’’

3 Likes

Thank you for the assist sir. :tophat:

2 Likes

I’m glad we have a great Sheriff and Deputies in my county. I don’t hear of this sort of stuff. But anything can happen these days and That’s a Fact Jack. Out hear we are generally prepared reaction time is about 20 mins as the number of officers we have and distance they sometimes have to travel tie in :us: We believe in training. and common sense

2 Likes