Stupid TV/Movie Gun Stuff

I just saw Death Wish (1974) for the first time since maybe the ‘80s. Can’t say it’s a stupid movie.

3 Likes

4 Likes

My son is very involved in theater (plans to be a film maker one day…a conservative film maker!) and it’s actually pretty interesting how sounds are made for TV and movies.

4 Likes

There are several movies where the good guy is hiding behind crates, fires at the bad guy and the slide locks back. He moves the pistol up by his ear, pointing up (slide still locked back) and peers anxiously around the crate trying to locate (?) the bad guy and, naturally, spots him and brings the gun down to engage, Somehow, the slide is forward and goes bang without our hero having made any move to reload. This must be one of them new-fangled fully automatic, self loading pistols and if I can ever find out who makes them, I want one for my EDC so I won’t have to carry extra mags.

2 Likes

Heck, you throw enough photon’s out there and for every action there is an equal and oposite reaction, oh wait, the laser would need to be in a vacuum, since light acts as a wave in an atmosphere…

Mythbusters went to town on that years ago. They had an episode where they shot a car full of holes trying to make it blow up, and another episode where they drove a bunch of cars off cliffs to make them blow up. None of the cars blew up. My faith in Hollywood as a fictional universe was maintained.

4 Likes

Don’t tell Michael Bay. It would end his entire career!
What if Michael Bay Directed “UP”? - YouTube

1 Like

I think I hurt something laughing…

1 Like

Just a thought:

suspend (one’s) disbelief

1. To allow oneself to believe that something is true even though it seems impossibleThe plot is ridiculous, but if you can suspend (your) disbelief , it’s an enjoyable movie.

2. To allow oneself to believe things that cannot be true If you want to enjoy this story, you have to suspend your disbelief .

1 Like

I’m familiar with the suspension of disbelief. It’s required for any movie. Otherwise you get distracted by the foam buildings, the CGI, or the empty streets. But a lot of movies have something in them that re-engages my disbelief, because it’s so outrageous I can’t ignore it. And it’s usually something silly. For example, I can watch Captain Marvel and temporarily accept that there are shape-shifting aliens invading Earth to hide from other aliens that kidnap humans. I can’t accept that a very young looking Samuel L. Jackson made it all the way to O6, retired, and was now nearing the top of his second career. (I guess it’s plausible, I just looked it up and Jackson would have been 47 when the movie was set… but he looks more like 37 and I can’t get my head wrapped around that.)

With guns, my issue is not so much that the props ruin the movie. It’s Hollywood, I don’t blame them for dumb gun stunts any more than I can blame them for ridiculous car chases or kung-fu fights. It’s more that so many people have no real point of reference, and so they believe what they see in the movies. They think I can use a pistol to shoot the tires off a speeding getaway car, or shoot empty barrels and make them explode.

4 Likes