Strange animal relationships and funny pets >> EXPANDED <<

Anything interesting or animal funny things >>Expanded to include FAILS <<

2 Likes

5 Likes

Currently enjoying a pair Mourning doves nesting above the kitchen retractable awning. They have already reared one very strong baby and I would not be surprised if they get another 3 or 4 hatches off this season.
It kinda funny having the adults stand there looking up at you as you walk by within a couple feet of them.
It’s also pretty impressive watching the adults maneuver in, under the overhang, directly above the picture window.
They don’t really bother flying a lot of the time and just run across the yard to find a place to laze around all day.

6 Likes

IDK, IS IT ME. I have a beautiful Morning Dove nesting in a hanging flower pot on my back porch. It’s seem as time is coming to a close I see things differently. When I come out she looks me right in the
Eye and it feels like she is looking right into my soul.

4 Likes

Because she IS peering directly into your soul.

5 Likes

People that marry their pets. :roll_eyes: Question!!! If you are married to your pet and you married a person, would it be bigamy??? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Just a few of the birds that visit our yard. :slightly_smiling_face:

Male and Female Cardinal.

Red Breasted Nuthatch-Male.

Oriole-Male.

Gray Catbird-Male.

Blue Jay-Male.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Be Careful What You Wish For Mr. Bruce.

2 Likes

Is that a Catbird? You sure have a nice hunk of paradise over there, Bruce.

2 Likes

Yes it is a Cat bird, that is a tiny fraction of the pics I have. :slightly_smiling_face:

One of my favorites, 3 little bandits in my feeder. :grinning: Mom and the other bandit are in the Apple tree to the right.

4 Likes

IMG_7671

11 Likes

The year the rivers froze solid. The Eagles feasted on Duck.

Our song bird killer, oh well, he has to eat to. Sharp shined Hawk-Male.

Color variations in the same birds. Common Redpoll.

5 Likes

Uploading: IMG_6037.jpeg…

My cat Minx!!

6 Likes

That is sad… I don’t like to see animals killed. I know it is nature and I, too, eat meat. I need to learn more about hunting to become more accepting of it. I killed a lot of fish and seafood as kid for food, but I did not have the same appreciation for life then. As an adult, one understands far more. As a kid, it was just sustenance, just like berries, fruit, grains, and vegetables. Though, that, too, is killing, we typically just have a lower appreciation of those forms of life. Sort of like in the USA, currently, we rarely eat horse, dog or cat, or even more so, sheep, lamb or goat. I had wild duck once, very greasy and gamey, and an occasional lead pellet - difficult to get all of them out of the meat.

2 Likes

Gorgeous.

Two that survived the winter, they nested across the street. That winter many of the Duck hunters were buying bags of corn and seed to feed them at the boat landings.

I grew up in hunting families and we needed the meat to live. I have hunted and fished all my life and process all my own meat and fish, as it should be.

6 Likes

To my knowledge, my father never hunted again after coming back from the Korean War, he was a forward observer in a mortar unit. He never stated he shot anyone nor saw any soldiers blown-up by mortars. There were numerous duck and goose decoys in our garage, and he had a number of rifles and shotguns of various caliber in the gun cabinet. The one time he spoke about his involvement as a forward observer, he only stated that he requested the M1 rifle as it had a much better range than the NK’s rifles. He won a shooting contest in his 20s (he was drafted in his late 20s), the prize was a beautiful bolt-action .22LR with a pin sight. He was a very quiet man in my youth (though I was a young adult, he died young (65-years old)).

4 Likes

It has been my observation that the ones who say the least saw the most. Respect to your Father. :us:

9 Likes

I appreciate the thought. I do believe I need to get back to my roots. Eating store-bought food is not how humans evolved. I do want to learn how to harvest my own food. I value the sacrifice of animals raised for our sustenance. I believe I would value that more if I took my own food. The problem with that is I live in a suburb that makes that difficult. I have been recently thinking about finding a rancher(s)/farmer(s) that I could invest in, to help with my food supply. I need to get back to basics.

2 Likes