Stop touching your CC rig!

These are all great comments and opinions to consider :smile: Appreciate them a lot.

In MY mind, someone so novice as to be obviously adjusting their carry rig where I can see what they’re doing, is either just that, a novice, or someone who may be of questionable character/intent.

As it goes, I consider pretty much every adult male I see, and many of the adult females, to be carrying anyway. The thing about adjusting the rig in public is, if I see someone with their hand on a gun in public, I very quickly want to know why and get very much more observant of that person.

For my own carry, it’s a Sig P365xl in a Clinger “gear” holster and hides nicely under most any shirt. I’m retired so am not out doing activities that would cause my shirt to rise far enough, and if it does, my hand sure as hell ain’t gonna touch the grips for fear of someone just like me watching for me to draw and possibly overreacting.

All that said, my post was meant mostly for new carriers & I probly should’ve stated that. But, we’ve got some discussion so something relevant was thought about …

Ya all take care.

3 Likes

In some areas it may be construed as brandishing a weapon! When that gets into the ears of LE it tends to be a game changer. There’s nothing wrong with practicing the wear of your rig while you’re at home and around your own property. Get used to the wear of your rig so that when you finally do go out with it, you can be about your business without drawing attention to what you’re wearing. JMHO.

3 Likes

@David237 Exactly!

2 Likes

I wear long pants everyday here in TX, and nobody thinks I look strange. I’m just wearing big boy pants, you like shorts, wear them!

3 Likes

Sniffy is right. The best giveaway that you are carrying is to keep touching your gun, even with your elbow. People are not looking to see if you are carrying stop worrying about if people can see the imprint. Put the holster on, then your weapon, check in the mirror if you like, then enjoy your day.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family and God bless you.

1 Like

Actually, yes, some of us people are watching and notice the “tells.” I do so as part of my situational awareness. God forbid anything kicks off around me, I like to know these things. But, I also count people in restaurants where I dine, have cover and exits in my head by the time I choose where I sit, etc. It is just how I’m built. Prepared, not paranoid.

I agree we don’t need to be paranoid about printing and that sort of thing, but touching the gun is a sure tell for those of us who are paying attention to everything around us, to include analyzing why people are preoccupied with what is obviously their carry piece. I mean, I don’t worry about mine cause I’d not walk out the door without it concealed properly and secure, so if I see someone fiddling around with what is obviously a gun on their person, it makes me wonder if they’re novice legal carriers, or something else entirely…I’ll leave it at that

6 Likes

@Smiddy I do the same thing when out, I try to identify other carriers. That being said, I know I print a bit at the 4 o clock position but the average person walking around isn’t going to notice. The handful of us who do notice generally aren’t the problem or the threat. I have plenty of training in weapon retention that I am not worried about it. I understand that Criminals watch people too but most wouldn’t even bother if they thought you were carrying. (I come from a family of criminals and I am the first not criminal/gang /dealer/smuggler affiliated person in the family). I have been situationally aware since the age of 6.
The criminals looking to seriously hurt or kill you, If they are watching you that intently to know you have a gun, you were probably already selected as a target and they would have selected you regardless. In a bank, if the scout was watching you, you may be deemed a threat and taken down if they assume you have a gun, yes this is the danger of telling others you have a rig by touching.
I watch others while I am out and I look to see whom may be watching my general vicinity. I have yet to see someone intently watching me due to my printing with my rig. That being said, if another trained CCW holder noticed, he/she would also know not to draw attention to me or even care much. When I know someone is carrying, I take a slight note and move on.

1 Like

I worked armed security for marijuana dispensaries, and the first place I looked at every person entering the building was the waist, then pockets, then face. Most of the times when I saw a bulge and called it out, it was either a multi-tool, flashlight or knife. Granted, weapons aren’t permitted, and most people knew to leave things in their car. So to conclude, I saw plenty of bulges, and people moving their belts around; but never came across a firearm. I never let my guard down though, as it is best to have your head on a swivel and know the world around you.

2 Likes

yeah, I work as an Armed Security Officer as well, If anything even resembling a firearm on the belt results in a check sometimes a full search, if you wish to continue. If a firearm was found, it would result in a detention until local police arrive. If an employee has a firearm in their vehicle, they must notify us prior otherwise if a random search of a vehicle resulted with a firearm, it would result in major consequences. Granted, we don’t search employee vehicles often but more so contractors vehicles get inspected sometimes if we feel the need. any unauthorized person that enters the facility results in immediate detention and we go hands on if even the slightest non compliance is present. A person with a gun on site… would result in arrest and a felony and probably every armed officer on site to respond. Luckily this has not happened.
P.S I work at a federally regulated site so we have a lot of power on site.

3 Likes