Squatting

Reading through the KY gun laws and found this.

1) The use of physical force by a defendant upon another person is justifiable when the defendant believes that such force is immediately necessary to prevent:

(a) The commission of criminal trespass, robbery, burglary, or other felony involving the use of force, or under those circumstances permitted pursuant to KRS 503.055, in a dwelling, building or upon real property in his possession or in the possession of another person for whose protection he acts; or

(b) Theft, criminal mischief, or any trespassory taking of tangible, movable property in his possession or in the possession of another person for whose protection he acts.

(2) The use of deadly physical force by a defendant upon another person is justifiable under subsection (1) only when the defendant believes that the person against whom such force is used is:

(a) Attempting to dispossess him of his dwelling otherwise than under a claim of right to its possession; or

503.055 is our/your basic stand your ground law against attack for KY.

What caught my attention was the “attempting to dispossess him from his dwelling “. I’ve read a few articles about ppl leaving on vacation and coming home to find squatters living in their home. When the owner contacts police the police say they can’t do anything about it. To my backwards hillbilly mind that means I can go full “get off my lawn” and be justified for doing it.

No legal advice is sought only pondering since I don’t travel much.

6 Likes

I don’t understand A LOT of what Police are suppose to do and NOT do anymore…

“When the owner contacts police the police say they can’t do anything about it. To my backwards hillbilly mind that means I can go full “get off my lawn” and be justified for doing it”.

But I am damn sure of the fact that this is MY HOME. PERIOD. And you are not going to get away w/ a hostile take over of MY HOME. Police or no Police.
We (the police) now say “We are NOT here to protect and Serve”…Oh really? Then maybe you should
take those slogans of your doors, turn in your tin stars and bag groceries @ wally world, because you are useless as tits on a bull then as officers of law and order. You are now known as AFTER THE FACT REPORT WRITER’S! CALL 9-1-1 and file a report…I am going to rely on .3-5-7 and call you when the cordite clears and i can see my phone.
Oh, and can you notify the meat wagon while you are at it, I lost their number from the last incident.

7 Likes

Best not to comment!

5 Likes

Lol,yea let me come home and find a squatter.Betcha I can convince him/her or whatever combination of the two to leave my house.The condition said individual leaves in will be entirely up to his/her or whatever combination of the twos attitude when instructed to leave

5 Likes
8 Likes

Good thing, I would have passed my own law had I found any of them in my house! Found squatting in my home, it will become your permanent resting place! Metaphorically speaking!

4 Likes

This bill reminds me of a night I was driving my ’65 convertible Mustang in Winter Park, Florida. I had just had dinner and needed to turn left onto Semoran Blvd, a 50 mph speed limit six lane highway. The traffic was heavy, and lightly raining. I have spun the Mustang around on wet pavement more than once, so was waiting for a safe break in traffic. The jerk behind me started honking and wildly waving his arms at me for not taking a chance with a car I’ve owned since I was 15 years old. I got out and confirmed I had plenty of blinker fluid and pointed to my left turn signal flashing – just in case he missed it. I got back in my car and he pulled his up to my rear bumper and started trying to push me into oncoming traffic. About that time there was a break in traffic so I gunned it and took the left. I got into the right lane and drove slowly. The jerk came past me shooting the bird, so I quickly memorized his plate. When I got home, this was before cell phones were common, I called the Police.

The Police told me there was nothing illegal about what the jerk did, so they could not do anything. I said great! Next time I am behind a Police car at an intersection I am going to push them into oncoming traffic – since I now know that is perfectly legal for me to do. They told me I could come down to the station to file a report in person, but they would not file a report over the phone. They were much nicer when I arrived. We inspected my car and found no damage nor paint from the other vehicle that could be used as evidence. The officer asked if I’d like to listen to a call to the jerk –YES! He called him and the jerk had recollection of being behind a classic blue Mustang, but he never pushed it. He sounded very nervous on the phone. The Police told him they would be investigating my car for any evidence, and if evidence was found, then charges would be filed. To add icing on the cake, the officer asked him if he had any plans to leave the state in the next 30 days? The jerk said no. The officer said, “well if you do, then you need to notify us prior to leaving”. The jerk said “Yes Sir”.

After the phone call the officer said that’s about all I can do, but I think he got the message. :smiley:

Sorry about my old man rambling … carry on!

7 Likes

And one of the training lessons you took away from this, is that the avoidance and de-escelation responsibly armed Americans practice (not sure if you were already carrying back then, speaking generally) means not getting out of your car to make a scene, as that is likely to escalate the situation. :wink:

This was at least 20 years before I started carrying.

You are correct, it did not occur to a 27 year-old me that this would escalate the situation into the guy trying to kill me.

7 Likes

And worser and worser. :roll_eyes:

Expert Joseph Humire reveals his ‘biggest warning’ on gang-linked migrant squatters | Watch (msn.com)

1 Like

Let em rot. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Even Ziggy is having trouble. :thinking:

1 Like

I had a lady( tweeker) drive up to my house today, looking for a place to squat my wife called the sheriff and they arrested her.

1 Like