Squatting in KY

If it’s going to give you more peace of mind? Then yes.

3 Likes

It’ll take about a week! :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

And how long would it take for thieves to clean you out?

4 Likes

'bout (30) minutes!

point made

4 Likes

Is your sis going to be home?

2 Likes

No Brother, that’s the thing.
We are doing a kinda 'Last call" for a couple that moved away last year
and their health rapidly declined… This is a sort of mercy run.
We thought there would be multiple trips but their decline was unbelievable.
And the General is also in tough shape, so this is going to be a rough Last Call!, plus worrying 'bout the house?
It’s getting a bit much…rethinking the whole deal.

4 Likes

Don, my co-worker and I just happened to be discussing squatters yesterday. He told me that the local sheriffs around here will take a report from a homeowner that you are going to be away, and that absolutely no one is authorized to be in your house for those particular days. They’ll send a patrol by daily just for a quick look to be sure the house doesn’t look disturbed. This also serves as some sort of basic proof that, if someone does get in, they’re squatting and not legal tenants.

Not sure if your NM sheriffs would do the same, but it’s worth a stop by their office, I’d say. I do agree 100% that your idea of a private security service is also a great idea. Do you have a monitored alarm? If not, maybe just get a couple basic Ring cameras so you can keep an eye on things while you’re away. I don’t like the idea of giving up my privacy to Amazon, but they’re cheap, and when you get home you can disable them if you want.

8 Likes

That is awesome that your sheriff will do this service for you. It also creates a paper trail for you.

5 Likes

I have a ton of respect for the local sheriffs around here. We may not do everything right in Florida, but we do elect good sheriffs, and they genuinely seem to care about their oaths of office.

5 Likes

We have cameras inside the house with alarms that can be set 24/7. The alarm is ear piercing. They’re tied to my phone, so I get a notification if someone were to be inside. Cameras outside to alert me to movement around the house. They’re not tied to the Police, I’d have to make that call.
They’re not expensive, like $50 for the inside battery powered, and $100 for outside solar powered. Just a thought.

Also, I read somewhere that squatters have to have possession for 30 days to claim squatter rights. But that might just be Indiana, I’m not sure.

Also agree alerting the sheriff dept. would be a good idea.

4 Likes

Same dreadful thought here regarding squatters. There is a neighbor I trust and we keep an eye out for each other. Cameras help ease the dread of being away from the house. Have considered asking the local police department to keep an eye on the property. On duty, I’m sure they would. Off duty, it’s a stranger who knows when I’m away from the house. Once the intrusion alerts and video captures are received, I’ll be immediately reporting a break-in and that there are guns in the house. That should not give the perps enough time to become squatters.

7 Likes

THAT^^^^^^^^^^^ came to me last night also (Informing Local Sherriff’s)
A Paper trail, documentation! I slept better after that mental download. I appreciate the confirmation Joseph.
I’ve said here I TRUST the Sherriff’s here, Apd ( Alb.Police) not so much and the Staties
don’t do local streets they cruise the main arteries if patrolling off the Highway. Will visit after the wind storm today. We are in a self imposed lockdown today, winds supposed to be bad.
Another Brother said the Local Security is $150 a day ($50) a visit (3) x;s a day—forget that.
They can’t get IN to the back yard! My Security doesn’t allow entry and leaving them the keys?
ANYWAY, $1500 for Visits? I think not. I like the Sherriff’s idea. Thank you all.

I might buy a safe before going. I need one anyway these day’s I’ll put that $1500 towards that…It’ll have to be HUGE! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:Barrack’s size? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:SWAT CAGE? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:oh, I kill me!

6 Likes

Welcome Marc! Welcome to the Gunner’s Convention
These people are the top tier of HUMANITY Brother.
Good folks’
Enjoy your stay.

WWG1WGA

4 Likes

Welcome aboard sir!

2 Likes

While this is a serious issue the odds of it happening to any of us while only being away for a short trip are incredibly low.

A security system and formally informing LEOs is probably a good idea. Assuming the local LEOs don’t have a history or reputation for corruption.

Other suggestions would be to have a vehicle parked in the driveway (does put the vehicle at more risk than in the garage) and/or having a couple of lights plugged into random timers so they turn on at random times right around sunset and turn off randomly a few hours later.

Most of these squatters are looking for houses they can be sure are empty when they enter. Otherwise they risk being positively IDed as home invaders and being dealt with accordingly.

6 Likes

This is really true what you just said Sham, Thank you.
The lights on timers (done)
I kind of blabbed about my decent Security measures here already
so we won’t go there (ever again)
** It’s just the vulnerability of a lucky shot of threw a broken window that
gives me the chills. I will not go ‘Security Bars’ all over my windows.
I’ve NEVER been to Jail , I don’t want to start living in one now,
Author’s note: When we first moved here we were robbed. I was working two jobs and exhausted all the time. My wife would leave for work and I would put on headphones and a bandana over my eyes to sleep during the day. These bastards robbed ‘Around me’
got some nice stuff but not the goods! (Thankfully). It was a hit and run but I was left alone.
These days all bets are off w/ that happening. That is why the set-up now is sort of extreme.
Extreme when It can be (Oversized this, steel cross member that)
If you looked at it from a woke point of view it’s a little overboard but We sleep well and THAT is good enough for me.
My neighbors may not be ‘Hey come over for a burger’ friendly but they don’t want to see bad ships happen to anybody on THEIR street.

Thanks everybody.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t your deed as registered in the courts prove that you are the one in possession of the property and they are not, therefore they are not being dispossessed? Laws that protect squatters and give them rights over property owners is more than messed up, and the fact that property owners even need to go to court for this is the equivalent to underlining, bolding and italicizing that fact.

4 Likes

If I can answer that Andrea?
Out here in Cactus Junction (NM)
I would not put it past this local administration
to 'back the ‘vermin’ rather than the law abiding Citizen.
If ‘Decrepit Central’ or Gavin Grusome enacts a play these
Santa Fe :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: moron’s do same same.
and the Local Police are hamstrung by these same people.

These Squatters get in my house they are dead. …did I say that out loud?

2 Likes

Welcome to the community @Andrea14

It should eventually prove ownership. But it doesn’t prove whether or not the home or rooms in the home were rented or leased to the current people occupying the residence. Plus unless you have certified copies of those documents stored in a safe place outside your home it could take some time to get them.

It shouldn’t be so difficult to disprove the criminals false claims but the way many States have set up their laws it gives the benefit of the doubt to the criminals and puts the victims in position to be further victimized by those criminals and by the legal system.

This is a good reason to get to know your neighbors. If they know you, they can attest to the fact that you are the one who has lived there all along and these other people just showed up.

1 Like

I’m in a similar situation. Extremely concerned.
Invoking my 5th amendment rights!
Rhetorical, metaphorical or hyperbolic will get me in the crapper!

2 Likes