Speed JWST vs 9MM

Right now the James Webb Space Telescope is traveling 1876 ft/sec. A 9mm has a muzzle velocity of 1,500 +/-. That’s fast, of course in space where there is very little matter, only weak gravitational pulls to slow things down I guess it’s possible. But still, the JWST traveling faster than a bullet is pretty cool.

5 Likes

@Mike164 >> TERMINAL Velocity is interesting <<

3 Likes

THE NEED TO UNDERSTAND SPEED <<<

2 Likes

Velocity in space is even better! Working on the speed required to get into space is different than the force or speed required to move or orbit earth.

3 Likes

JWTT is a colossal waste of money that has no practical purpose.

Astronomy is a nice backyard hobby and has led to some practical applications such as navigational aids but beyond that it is a boondoggle. Governments are spending trillions of dollars so a small group of people can study and theorize about things millions of light years away.

1 Like

OFFS. If you can’t imagine just one of the images brought back from Hubble being world-changing, there’s going to be no hope discussing such matters with you. Even if you just “limit” the group of images to those within our solar system. You do know Webb can do the same, right?

2 Likes

Name one

2 Likes

For me? any one:

Here’s a local event recorded by Hubble…

2 Likes

I’m happy for you.

1 Like

Ernest Rutherford saw no practical purpose to nuclear fission he had discovered. He was certain the govt. will figure how to tax it though. He said it in 1932.
A $billion is not that much money, if you consider how much they wasted in the sandbox or misappropriated with covid. The payoff may be incredible though.

6 Likes

IF YOUR GONNA SHOOT - SHOOT,
but it’s nice to understand stuff a little more than just bang bang.
IE: make a better choice of amo regarding foot pounds of energy.
Good stuff to know so when you can’t own a firearm any more you’ll
have a better idea of what your missing.

1 Like

2 Likes

If you could read beyond the 3rd grade level, I said Astronomy is a nice backyard hobby and has led to some practical applications such as navigational aids. (In other words, the earth is not flat)

1 Like

keyboard warrior eh?

1 Like

Yephole, same situation. Why the attitude. Honest questions here.

1 Like

I don’t know why you have an attitude.

Really???

That’s 6 characters

1 Like

Quick, stop the fight, post picture of a gun.

Who knows what this is? Not off topic.

3 Likes

9mm Luger - 124 gr RN - 1120 fps
JWST - 25000 MPH to escape the earths gravity weighing at 14,300 lbs.
fps 1120 = 763.64 MPH
JWST faster than a speeding bullet!!

3 Likes

1997 - LES EUROPÉENS SUSPECTENT LES MILITAIRES AMÉRICAINS DE CHAUFFER L’IONOSPHÈRE

Les départements de la défense du Canada et des USA créent ensemble, en 1961, le HARP ( Projet de Recherche en Haute Altitude ), officiellement destiné à remplacer les fusées par des canons lance-missiles pour envoyer des satellites en orbite. L’ingénieur américano-canadien Gerald Bull en est le maître d’oeuvre. Un canon de 20 mètres de long est alors mis en batterie à l’aéroport international de la Barbade .

3 Likes