Something is killing my ladies

Need some ideas on what to use as bait. I have either a weasel or a mink getting into the coop killing them. Whatever it is is eating the head and neck and leaving to body. I have a no kill trap and need help on what to use for bait.

Anyone with experience in this situation have any ideas?

2 Likes

1/2” hardware cloth or wire mesh anywhere they can get in. I buried it all around my fence. I also have chicken wire over top for hawks.

2 Likes

It’s more then likely a Weasel. Use the chicken parts or any raw fresh meat.

5 Likes

I would use a kill trap find out where it’s getting in and set it there. A connaber 110 would do the trick.

3 Likes

I was reading online that salmon cat food or cat food in general is good. It’s put a hurt on my ladies and Tractor Supply is currently sold out. Can’t get them fast enough they said.

1 Like

Have to be careful of using a kill trap. Weasels are fur bearing and are regulated at least in my state. Need a license and in season. Accidental discharge does happen now and then on my backyard range.

1 Like

Ahh I love my state if it is on my property I can do anything I want

2 Likes

use liver, blood to get them interested
use a 5 gallon pail 1/2 full of water
put the liver on a small piece of Styrofoam
the weasel will try to get the liver and drown
make the Styrofoam just big enuf to float the liver
caught one last week in the waste brine from hams to be smoked

Mike

3 Likes

@MICHAEL_LEE1 I’m thinking a 38 -55 gal plastic trash can with 2’ of water inside and a 2x4x8 ramp and a 2 x 4 x 3 crossover beam with a hunk of “pick a bait” on fishing line hanging 1" over the water. Killed many rat’s that way when the city was driving big pilings in the ground for a high rise structure 2 miles from me. Scoop out the carcasses every day, toss them in a Food Lion bag tie and seal. Rinse and repeat. Never dealt with weasels or minks but I got a couple coons and possum’s.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Craig6 Have you ever tried antifreeze instead of water?

@Ronald150 Can’t say that I have. There was an unintentional oil spill when my youngest “tripped” over said 2x4 but it yielded no significant results other than a dead Ivy plant that we dumped the water on.

Cheers,

Crai6

1 Like