So glad in these times.

Our local newspaper had an article in this morning stating that 31 officers of our local sheriff department are out sick with COVID-19.
Really, is this something to advertise?
I am so glad in these times to have the training of USCCA and the awareness it has taught me. At this time we now have to protect ourselves and loved ones. I’m sure this is happening other places.

12 Likes

I understand both sides to this, William. I would think that the newspaper is trying to ensure that they are being transparent and honest with the community. If it were later found out that they knew, did not report it, and something happened as a result of the public not knowing, they would face that backlash.

On the other hand, letting the criminals know that the police will be short-staffed is a scary thing. It could potentially embolden them to commit more crimes.

The positive to either is it sounds like you are prepared to defend yourself if need be. Have you had conversations with your neighbors about preparedness?

12 Likes

Tim_D_USCCA, I understand what your saying. We have what is called a Neighborhood Online setup. Those who are signed up can let all others know what is going on. Lately I’ve seen more and more reports of strange vehicles, unknown people roaming around late at night and the worst, robberies, (home & vehicles). I think the criminals already know our sheriff department is short handed. The article today only verified it for them. I’m watching now if the crime rate rises after todays article.
My wife and I are signed with the sheriff department as watchers. Also we have cameras on patrol, which in the past two years our cameras have helped the sheriff department and Highway Patrol make arrests with video evidence.
Though most people are afraid to report to the officers because of retaliation by the criminals, which has happened also in the past to us and some other neighbors. I’m not going to knuckle under to these criminals, I will always stand against them and keep doing the right thing.

8 Likes

31 officers in our county’s sheriff’s department totals less than 1% of the total number of officers.

It all depends on the size of your sheriff’s department.

7 Likes

I believe that everyone doesn’t need to know everything, despite what they think. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

OldGnome, it sounds like your in a more populated area than I am.

5 Likes

Since when are newspapers and honesty used in the same sentence? The only thing transparent in my world are my windows and the only thing truly honorable is my wife! When seconds count, we have each other’s backs!
Can’t believe or trust ANYTHING that gets published. It sounds like a great “sting” operation.

8 Likes

Geeze, everyone should know that these days clapping hands is triggering. Snapping your fingers is the new clapping, which this individual could do. https://www.newschannel5.com/simplemost/people-are-snapping-instead-of-clapping-more-these-days

Sorry, I am old, I clap.

5 Likes

On the internet it states that a 9-1-1 response is responded to on average eight minutes. In news stories the police responded in 18 minutes to get to the house and 4 more minutes before coming into the house on a home invasion call. A suicide caller got a house visit at 35 minutes after call and officers left a note to call a family member or a social worker. He was later found dead in the house. Speeding motorcycle goes by police officer at high speed and officer turned lights on but gave way about 1/4 mile. Probably got told to not pursue.

2 Likes

Wonder what that sounds like?

2 Likes

In essence defunding is working well, bravo to all who voted for the pro crime bills, especially in California, where murder, rape and human trafficking are misdemeanors! Law abiding citizens protecting life, felony! Way to go California!

1 Like

That sounds like an awesome setup using social media to connect with and keep an eye on your community. Have you seen crime get better in your area since that group started working together?

1 Like

Tim_ D_ USCCS, Crime has not decreased because most people on the online site only post what they see or have seen to others on the site. I’d say 99% of them are afraid to call law enforcement because of retaliation by the criminals. Retaliation has happened to some of the person by way of damaging property. Sorta can’t blame some for their fears, widows and very elderly.

2 Likes

I think a lot of law enforcement are short staffed and we have to be ready to defend ourselves and our families. We keep loaded pistols around our house so we can get to them quick. I made special places with locks that my wife and I can get to the but kids can’t get to.

6 Likes

Robert_G, it’s great that you and your wife are responsible persons.

1 Like

that sounds like an organized walk-out…

3 Likes

I’m betting some were told to stay home because they could have been exposed to someone who tested positive.

3 Likes

I agree that we must realize that we need to be our own protectors and stay alert to our surroundings. See something say something.

3 Likes

I’m from NY but have lived in Florida for 30 years…I’ve never been more happy to be in Florida than I have been over the last 2 years. A lot of LEO’s are moving to Florida too…

3 Likes

As long as they don’t “New York” my Florida, I welcome them with open arms. Otherwise, they can stay in New York as far as I’m concerned.

Stay safe out there.

2 Likes