Snowbird question

I have an LTC in MA and spend several months in Florida. If I buy a gun in Florida can I legally transport it to MA?

If your driver’s license says “Massachusets,” you cannot buy a gun in Florida.

A close friend of mine has been wrestling with this conundrum for years. His DL is from Wisconsin.

5 Likes

That is not true. Check this thread for information on ID for purchasing handguns in another state that you live in.

1 Like

According to the the Florida Department of Law Enforcement site: A non-Florida resident cannot purchase a handgun in FL. They can purchase long guns that are allowed in their state of residence.

https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FPP/FAQs2.aspx

3 Likes

Not exactly a true statement for this thread.

However, Florida (as @PDA3 mentions) has their own rules.

Am I the only one that thinks this is insane and seems unconstitutional. Any citizen should be able to buy guns and ammo from any state.

3 Likes

I agree, I mean the NICS is national isn’t it?

2 Likes

What I posted is fact. He is considered a resident, as he has a home there. He is a resident of Florida, the link he provided did not state anything about an actual residency requirement, which by law is a person that resides in a state for 183 days or more. Residency has no days of residence requirement, only that one lives there, which he does. Read the ATF regulations and Florida law. Furthermore, for clarification, he should contact the FFL and find out what he needs to provide to substantiate his Florida residency.

Why don’t make it easier? Buy the gun and let the seller ship it to your local FFL.

Just check the restriction that sometimes exists between States.

4 Likes

He did not state he has a home in Florida. He stays he “spends several months here.”

You haven’t taken the time to read the posts or Florida law.

Just to clarify, I have owned a home in Florida since 2012. I only recently decided to obtain my LTC.
Thanks to all for the feedback!

1 Like

Many firearms are legal in Florida not so in massachusetts. I suggest he should stay in Florida & stay out of his home state. Problem solved…

1 Like

Well he did now. Regardless, if he is staying in Florida several months per year, he is living there, aka, residing, which means he is a resident. Also, by home, did not specifically mean a house, but an abode, a place to live, as he stated he spends several months there.

What I stated was untrue was your statement that he needed a driver’s license to purchase a firearm. Nowhere in the ATF regulations, nor in Florida law does it state that. If that were true, only those that are licensed drivers are “allowed” to own firearms? Does that make any sense to you?

You might want to actually read the ATF regulations that I posted a link to, and that thread, rather than assume I am the clueless one.

I’m sorry, but that’s not the definition of “residence.” It may be to you, but not to the state.

1 Like

You have to make it even more clear, otherwise this thread becomes neverending story. :no_mouth:

What State ID or Driver’s License do you have?

1 Like

That has no bearing on residency.

This may help with the residency question.

1 Like

Actually, it does.

Florida Residency

Florida Residency

There are many topics and issues related to Florida residency and becoming a Florida resident. Below are some examples where “residency” is referenced in Florida Statutes.

Florida Identification Card and Driver License Information
(includes U.S. citizen and non-United States citizen.

Massachusetts

You’re a full-year resident if:

• Your home is in Massachusetts for the entire tax year, or
  • Your home is not in Massachusetts for the entire tax year but you:
    • Maintain a permanent place of abode in Massachusetts, and
    • Spend a total of more than 183 days of the tax year in Massachusetts, including days spent partially in Massachusetts. (Do not count days spent in Massachusetts while on active duty in the U.S. armed forces.)

:man_facepalming:

Ok… End of the story…
Actually that question was for @Frederick37 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You need to actually read the ATF ruling. You are confusing domicile and residency. As to living in more than one state, yes, on can be a resident of more than one state during a calendar year. One can also have a state of domicile in more than one state in a calendar year, too. If you move, your state of domicile changes, but only if you are taking steps to actually change your domicile. Can you reside in one state, but still have your state of domicile as another. This often affects those that travel for work, and may have a temporary assignment for an indeterminate length of time. Military members are exempt from this provision in the law. The ATF rules explain this, Florida is the same, as is any state, due to tax laws - they all want that pound of flesh.

My first reply to you was in reference to your statement "You stated “If your driver’s license says “Massachusets,” you cannot buy a gun in Florida.” This is not true, and I provided the link to the thread that discussed purchasing handguns in a state that you reside in, but are not domiciled in. The link to thread also has a link to the ATF site that explains residency requirements, and proof thereof, for residency. Furthermore, in that thread, I recommended contacting the FFL, which I also did in this thread. I would imagine the FFL would know what forms of documentation are needed to satisfy any federal or state requirement for residency.