Smart gun

Name an electronically/computer controlled device the government would have an interest in monitoring/controlling that the government cannot monitor.

We all know that from the outset, or in the (near) future after, probably following a wave of emotion created the media following some incident, tracking would be implemented

2 Likes

“But what you can’t do is shoot the thing before you plunk down your money, nor can nearly anyone else. Biofire is not allowing independent reviews of its new smart gun, at least not anytime soon

Jasper said the company lacks the “capacity” to allow traditional firearm reviews, even though they’re already accepting downpayments for the pistol, which she said should start shipping during Q1 or Q2 of 2024.

For now, you have to take Biofire’s word that the smart gun’s “integrated fingerprint and 3D facial recognition systems” will work as advertised and unlock the pistol when it’s needed, especially in what Mas Ayoob called “the gravest extreme.”

There is much more at stake with the release of any new smart gun than the release of a next-generation Glock or a new Sig-Sauer. Even though New Jersey lawmakers toned down the state’s infamous smart-gun mandate, which would have required Garden State gun dealers to only sell firearms with user-recognition technology the minute a viable smart gun hit the market, the gun-ban industry will still demand all new firearms contain fingerprint scanners or facial-recognition software. In other words, anti-gunners will use the release of a new smart-gun as a cudgel to leverage more infringements of our Second Amendment rights, if it works, that is.

Therefore, when a new smart gun is unveiled, it’s vital to see if it actually works, and that’s where independent testing comes in – not a demo on Zoom or a dog-and-pony show at the company’s range. If you’re becoming suspicious, it’s because we’ve seen these hands-off tactics from manufacturers before with the Hudson 9mm or Remington’s ill-fated R51.“

I’m not buying what I can not test out for myself.

5 Likes

All in the name of public safety of course.

3 Likes

Reason No. 27 Not to Buy a ‘Smart Gun’

5 Likes

Until I got my Apple Watch I would have been skeptical too. My watch is of course a watch. But it is also a phone, I can call my wife from the lake. It monitors my vitals, why I got it, and if anything appears to be wrong, fall etc., it will ask if I’m ok and if I don’t respond l, it will call 911 with my location within about 20-30 feet! It will all the while be listening. In map mode It will show me exactly where I am. It does more but here’s the bottom line as I see it. It does all this from in the mountains. In the city there are more cell towers so better monitoring. It does all this on a tiny antenna. What if that antenna were 100x it’s size by being attached to the metal in a firearm. I would guess that the internals of the device could be much smaller, as the size of the watch is designed to accommodate a screen. Get rid of the screen and air inside and it could be made really tiny. Just saying, it can be done, my watch is proof of that reality.

4 Likes

It just keeps making less and less sense. So the government knows every time you walk past a bank? What is the difference if they know if you walk past a bank with a gun or a watch? What makes anyone think a bank robber would buy one of these guns anyway?

2 Likes

because its the law and everyone knows that criminals follow gun laws, right? (sarcasm)

4 Likes

Nobody said a bank robber would buy one of these guns.

Probably the bank robber would get a non smart gun or disable the smart part of the smart gun, and then law abiding citizens with smart guns would get their guns turned off for X area after a bank robbery happened.

Or maybe within X area every time a money delivery was happening…just send the signal and disable all the smart guns in the area.

5 Likes

If they know you’re walking past the bank with a gun, then registration is here to stay. Next, you leave the house and leave the gun, if someone breaks in it’s of no use to your loved ones. Criminals say “oh happy day!” You’re traveling, you have a G17 or some other like gun. You enter a state or county with mag. Limit of 10, are we inviting unnecessary harassment. Does it give them the right to check you weapons for compliance. Sorry, I’ve seen too much to trust any government agency with anything. Give them an inch as they say, and you’re toast. Remember this too for all your friends who live in a right to carry state with no CCW. Many, my state included, have restrictions that can get you in trouble. I cannot leave my neighborhood without going by a school. With my CCW I’m cool, without it I could be in violation of the law. Tracking can and will get lots of otherwise innocent people in trouble. “Shall not be infringed” means just that. USCCA has a You Tube video on just this issue. Tom Grieve “the Gun Owner Trap.” With the government, a toe in the door, the body soon follows.

7 Likes

I don’t know where I got banks from I meant schools.

1 Like

Fortunately I don’t think that changes my response one bit :wink:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I knew there was something I was thinking of, and this was it.

Example:

" Google tracked his bike ride past a burglarized home. That made him a suspect."

6 Likes
3 Likes

I can kind of see the pro in this being it replaces the need for a safe. This “gun” is over 1,500k though which I’d rather pay for a more expensive Glock imo. One pos I’m thinking of is there might be less clean up, maybe, said it uses 9mm so I assume the firing process is the same? Lots of uncertainties in this. Honestly I feel like itd be more like relying on the stupid EV’s rather than gas powered. On the big pos if it gets stolen you wouldn’t be,worried as much.

2 Likes

welcome @Andrew265

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Andrew265

I’m pretty sure it will not completely do away with the need for a safe. It’s a piece of electronics. I suspect it won’t be long at all before criminals figure out how to hack it and bypass the security features so they can use it. Or worse find a way to scramble the electronics with a signal so you can’t use it against them. Assuming you can even get the thing to unlock when you need it in the first place.

If they eventually work out all the bugs I could maybe see it being useful for people who have young kids in the house but feel they need quicker access than they can get from a quick access safe. Though they should still lock it up when not sleeping next to it to keep the kids from taking it to school for show and tell.

2 Likes

It might not fire even when not stolen, and more likely to be fired after it was stolen and the electronics de-activated. I would worry about any of my firearms being stolen. I do have a safe and do use it - for the firearms I am not using; the other two are always loaded, except when being cleaned, using MantisX, or at the range when the mag is empty.

5 Likes

I agree. I work in tech and I don’t believe anything is completely hack proof. Also one thing I’m thinking is it works with an app to register your print with the gun…perfect government grab if they have their way.

4 Likes

Hello and welcome @Andrew265

1 Like

EV’s are probably more reliable than ICE. Internal combustion engines are anything but simple. Battery and motor definitely win there, and modern versions of all cars are computers on wheels regardless

2 Likes