Smart device

New car for California.

9 Likes

If your thermostat doesn’t work install a new one.

4 Likes

Yep. Not difficult to swap them out. My wife changed ours. It took longer to go to the home improvement store and buy it than it did to replace the old one.

5 Likes

The original part of my house, before indoor plumbing, and additions was built in 1826. Every few winter months I get a letter from NICOR Gas telling me how my gas usage is higher than my neighbors. No smart device required. I priced out adding insulation to the walls and roof which is cost prohibitive. :cold_face: :cold_face: :cold_face:

4 Likes

Yes, just like replacing your windows and being told how much you will save on utilities. It does not factor in the base cost of the service. I have a new, energy-efficient gas furnace and AC, and new “high-efficiency” windows and doors and I still do not notice a difference in my energy costs. I have actually seen an increase lately due to the increases in fuel costs, but as my home is small, my usage is low and the fuel costs are still not making a huge difference.

4 Likes

I’m with you there. I’ll do what is economically feasible but screw the rest!

5 Likes

Why I’m always less efficient than my neighbors?
And why my neighbors are less efficient than their neighbors
 meaning me. :joy:
Even Turing Machine won’t solve this problem. :kissing:

A 2022-09-02 19-29-57

5 Likes

My efficiency numbers show me at the top of efficiency, but then I do not make my house hot in Winter nor cold in Summer. I have gas heat, hot water, and stove, which is more efficient than electric. I also use my Natural Gas-fueled grill year-round. So in Summer, I am not adding heat into the house, and in Winter when I am more likely to use the stove, it adds heat to the home, reducing heating needs. My AC and dryer is electric, though, but with the dryer, heavy clothes are not fully dried in the dryer, but put on a drying rack to finish drying. Less energy usage and less wear and tear on the clothing. As a Conservative, I believe in not only being a Conservative politically, but in all aspects of my life. Life is good, and I hope to have at least a couple more decades to enjoy it. After that, I might decide to “find God” so as to have a wonderful “afterlife” - j/k.

3 Likes

I went full time RV, propane is cheaper and efficient, electric is included in my rent so I keep it nice and cool in the summer😀

5 Likes

@Karacal That’s the best way to go. I’m still thinking of going full time RV, but depends on selling the ranch which is being looked into by an interested party.

4 Likes

I’ve said it over and over since the first time I saw one of these “smart home” devices: If I can access my devices via cell/internet/bluetooth, then so can anyone else who wants to. While I do have a smart phone, I keep most of the features shut off, especially the ones that feature any kind of constant communication. (Maybe that doesn’t work as well as I think it does, but at least it makes me feel better.)

My goal is to keep my brain as the smartest device I own.

6 Likes

Happy anniversary!

1 Like

Thank you Barry, I do feel a year wiser!

2 Likes

Happy Anniversary @Alexander8

3 Likes