Small of the Back Carry

I understand. Custom made holsters are best for certain issues.

2 Likes

I just got my local leather/saddle guy to make me the lumbar support which is IWB and secured to my belt in the same location.

Especially when it starts getting cold it’s a life saver as without it once I get chilled my lower back just seizes up completely.

1 Like

I know that feeling, I sent you a DM with contact information on my holster. I have to drive right now.

2 Likes

Thanks. I replied already.

1 Like

So not like this?

Capture

:rofl:

1 Like

Definitely not.

3 Likes

< / The things one wishes they could unsee…
(At least it’s not a picture of me! . there was a time… No, neveryoumind!)

3 Likes

So we finally got her holster in from Craft. She’s an

old school type so leather was the way to go. But her belt is a new style Kore. I don’t know. I just work here. The holster is great. Very nice leather with her initials engraved. She is registered for her class in a week and will be good to go after that.

2 Likes

Personally not a fan. Tried it but for me this is what I found. It is uncomfortable. Other drawbacks are. It takes considerably longer to draw from there especially carrying concealed. Then when you bring the weapon out from SOB you are forced to swing the weapon in an arc around your hips making it harder to bring the weapon straight up to your eye. So not only the draw time but reduction of form. Just me

I’ve recently switched my carry gun, holster and carry position. (Yes, lots of muscle training going on right now.) I changed to appendix carry and love it. I no longer feel like my gun is “exposed” being behind me. Not that it was printing or showing, but less protected in a way…

Now, I feel like I have it more protected and have easier access, but I do have a lot of muscle training going on to make up for the change.

1 Like

The Biggest gun I ever carried was a K frame S&W a .45 long colt. In the summer in Southern California trying to conceal that puppy was a real pain. Seems as if the S&W 64 is about as big.

Yeah. It is. Oddly enough, and for better or worse, this thing tucks into her self described “sway back” very nicely. It’s what she feels comfortable with and I can’t argue her out of that.

1 Like

Not recommended. 1. Injury to spine if you fall. 2. Uncomfortable when seated. 3. Puts arm / hand in WEAKEST possible position when drawing / holstering pistol. 4. Gun is pointed at YOU before it get pointed at threat. Lots of other options out there other than SOB.

3 Likes

Small of the back carry is just BAD, BAD, BAD. The reasons have already been covered.

I had to chuckle though. Anyone remember the episode of Andy Griffith when Barney was undercover carrying in the small of the back and shot a hole in his pants? :rofl:

2 Likes

@AJ09 - Welcome to the community and thanks for being here !! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Topics like this make me very uncomfortable. I carry SoB, I practice and drill, and I’m comfortable. It seems like every time someone tries something different they’re just beat down by other users.

Now I feel like Ralphie from A Christmas Story. I guess I’d better return all my guns and holsters so I don’t break my back.

2 Likes

Please don’t be offended @Ouade5. @AJ09 asked for peoples opinions on SOB carry. Along with the pixie dust and unicorns from those who like SOB carry, he heard some of the :poop: from those who do not like SOB carry. For me, SOB was not a good choice. I could go on with other choices that were good and bad or why I carry this and not that. It is all about what works for you, whoever you happens to be.

I am actually thrilled SOB carry works for you. I do what i do because it works for me. We are unique, just like everybody else! :grin:

5 Likes

Thanks @MikeBKY. I probably need to take a break, breathe, and relax. After all, one of the reasons I joined USCCA was to get new ideas and advice from other people. I’ve just developed a fairly low tolerance for one-size-fits-all solutions to personal and home defense, so I don’t like seeing people told that they’re going to shoot their eye out because they do something differently.

4 Likes

I would not recommend it at all. After a while she would suffer from lower back pain and also it’s difficult to quickly draw in a self defense situation.

2 Likes

It’s all good @Ouade5! I see stuff a lot and just shake my head. And there are those times I write a long response and then hit the backspace key a bunch and it ends up looking like :+1:

5 Likes