Small of the Back Carry

I’m glad to hear you were never seriously hurt @Frederick4! I have to ask how old you were when the accidents happened? (The older we get and all that…)

I understand that you’ve carried there for 25 years, so I wouldn’t push you to try a different position - I would suggest trying it out to see if there’s another way that might work just as well for you - but if it works for you and you know the risks, go for it.

For someone who is just starting out, I’d much rather they went with a different position as they don’t have any training ruts or set preferences yet.

Carrying is a balance of risks and benefits, right? :slight_smile:

Glad to have you here, @Frederick4!

2 Likes

Oh No Chris @CHRIS4 I really feel bad about this what you’re telling me. My back was terrible for a long time when I was lifting caskets during funerals and especially when performing the embalming operation and going to remove bodies from crime scenes and otherwise. Now I’m retired four years, my sciatic nerve and back feels wonderful, they have self-repaired and I really hope yours will also.

2 Likes

Hey Dawn,
Thanks for the concern, No reason for anyone to worry.
Both incidents were unusual circumstances.
My age in the first was 64, and the second I was 67.
I wanted to comment because I felt that S.O.B. carry was not getting fair treatment,

Appendix carry makes me nervous., not to mention uncomfortable.
I think the curvature of ones spine as well as how fit a person is, are factors to consider.
For me, S.O.B. carry is so comfortable and easy that there is a danger that I never experienced with any
other form of carry, you might sometimes forget that you are armed.

I was not recommending it for anyone starting out, I was just trying to say - don’t discount it.
Everyone needs to try it all and find out what works for them.

As far as retention goes, I think being aware of your surroundings and anyone in it is an important factor.
We are supposed to be aware and attentive whilst carrying arms , aren’t we ?
Not being aware ,a person can be defeated regardless of method of carry.

I think the impact worries can apply for any carry method , it just depends on circumstance
I think you can be hurt by appendix carry or any carry if you are flying through the air and hit the ground.

Maybe " Please don’t do it " should apply to some people, but I don’t think it needs to apply to everyone.
I can see that anyone that is packed into a crowded situation would be well advised not to use S.O.B. ,
I live a very rural life and can maintain personal space easily, so that’s a factor too.

I imagine a lot of people that have carried for years have a bag, or box ,or drawer full of holsters for different methods of carry that they have tried until they find what works best for them.

We are a really diverse subset of people and should accept our differences and celebrate them.
If anyone is uncomfortable with S.O.B. carry, then don’t do it.

I’m just saying, I do, I like it, and it works well for me. O.K. ?

3 Likes

If you’re sitting with SOTB carry you are a sitting duck.

SOTB also makes you particularly vulnerable to snatches.

If you’re wearing a long vest/jacket/coat SOTB is very concealable but all sorts of access issues.

For a backup it’s a very good location but not a location I’d recommend for most people in most circumstances.

4 Likes

To add to yours. If you find yourself in a ground fight it’s a terrible position to access.

3 Likes

Main thing I was referring to is the bulge of the revolver cylinder. You carry an auto which has a different profile, and is slimmer so fits flatter. I have considered the sob for a long time but have not moved it to the forefront in carry positions. And since my shoulder surgery on my dominant side I have not been able to reach that area comfortably and/or smoothly for draw and reholstering.

I am more comfortable with 3 or 3:30 iwb carry in both revolver and auto carry.

2 Likes

Hey Joe,

I absolutely advocate in carrying how ever it is most comfortable.

Sorry to hear of your shoulder injury. I once dislocated my left shoulder and broke it in three places, but it is not my dominate.

so I feel a little qualified in understanding the limitations.

The thought of injuring my dominate, arm, hand, or trigger finger seems so debilitating I don’t even want to think about it.

But we have all seen a person with no limbs paint a piece of art work.

There is always that training , which most of us avoid which is non-dominate.

I believe if we are determined we will find some way to defend ourselves.

Seems like I’ve heard of a few blind people getting permits !

2 Likes

I carry either appendix or right above wallet. So it appears I am complying with demand for wallet. Taking dogs for walk or just being on feet appendix.

2 Likes

I used to carry SOB 1911but joint deterioration made me move that’s I couldn’t reach and control with any real strength.

2 Likes

I do not recommend small of the back to any of my students for many reasons. Falling on it is going to hurt, bad. You really don’t have good access to draw the firearm. This poor access is especially true if you are (for some reason) sitting or trying to draw with your weak hand.

2 Likes

Although it’s the most comfortable for me to carry SOB, you guys have convinced me that it’s just not a good idea for many reasons. Thanks for all the input.

3 Likes

@Zavier_D so we have both the G30 and apendix in common :grin:

2 Likes

If she’s going to carry SOB, I highly suggest she gets a custom holster for what she will carry and have the maker of it modify it to protect her spine. I have a dual 1911 holster for SOB carry

This is my SOB holster. The space between both 1911’s is enough so I won’t have to worry about hurting my spine.

4 Likes

@Rebelcowboy32 where did you get that holster? I love it!

1 Like

A guy named Josh Russell owner of Russell made holsters.

1 Like

I’d suggest a couple of mod’s to them starting with a built up padded center between the guns but the craftsmanship looks excellent as does the quality of the leather.

1 Like

Already done. I told him what I wanted and one of my concerns was protecting my back if I should hit the ground for any reason. The best pants to wear with that holster is carhart or dickies because one belt loop is in the center.

1 Like

I’d like to mess with one just to see but I think they’d work well with my 5.11’s as well.

Let me suggest this. If you built up padding in the center and on both sides of the “slots” it would give you much better protection along the lower spine to the protrusions of the hip bones. Wouldn’t require a lot of re-engineering either, basically the same kind of padding we have on trial and endurance saddles.

What would really be ideal would be layer on the inside providing some lumbar support especially for those of us with lower spine issues already.

Personally I would not want to carry two in that manner but for those who do this is a great set up even as is.

1 Like

They might work. The guy that made my holster is also a police detective. A lot of your concerns aren’t really an issue. I have back issues myself and it’s very comfortable for me.

1 Like

I had to work out a lumbar support for myself due to L3-L4-L5-S1 damage, both herniation and stenosis. In this case I’m thinking of preventive medicine acting similar to a padded weight belt with lumbar support.

I’ve had a lot of fun in my life and I’m paying for it now as I get closer to sixty than fifty. :grinning:

3 Likes