Situational what would you do?

This morning I woke up to my roommate walking back and forth in the house talking about some guy outside the apartment, she said get my gun and check to see if anybody’s outside. She said somebody was in our hallway area, so I got my crossbreed bellyband holster on, concealed it. I went outside, seen footprints and didn’t see anybody but a black man standing outside our neighbors who are also black doorway. I wasn’t thinking anything of it because our neighbors are black and I don’t know them too well.

So I stare at this guy, and he’s like “We straight?” I’m like yeah we straight, just somebody was in the hallway of my upstairs apartment and there’s nobody but you around.

He goes yeah that was me. Trying to stay warm. I was like yep and we’re supposed to get a ton of snow. Then just walked back up to my apartment. Just letting him know, that I know he was down there.

When I came back up that’s when my roommate told me she was originally going to go down there and tell him he can’t be here, but walked back up the steps and closed and locked the door, got her bf up, they saw him walk out to our neighbors car, a cop comes by and the guy hid from the cops and that’s when she told me to check if there’s some guy in our downstairs hallway.

What would you do in this situation?

1 Like

No one is wrong.

Your roommate is correct to raise the alarm that someone who doesn’t live in your apartments is wandering the hallway.

At the same time, I can’t blame anyone for trying to get warm. But apparently he didn’t belong at your neighbor’s house, either, or he wouldn’t need to enter a random apartment building.

Your roommate is also correct to lock the door and call the police if something doesn’t look right.

6 Likes

Interesting situation - I’m glad everyone kept their wits about them and didn’t assume or overreact.

He has what sounds like a legitimate reason for warming up in the apartment building – maybe he’s picking someone up for work and they’ve overslept and aren’t hearing him calling or knocking?

But then he hides from the police?

Now that there’s been some time since the situation, maybe stop down by your neighbor and ask? They will let you know if he was a friend or not. If the guy was up to no good, your neighbor might appreciate knowing he was there. If he was a buddy, there’s no harm/no fowl making sure everyone was safe.

2 Likes

We live right next to a police station, but that’s what my roommate told me was that a cop went by and he disappeared and I went out to check it out. I did talk to a neighbor and a neighbor did say there is a black man that lives in our neighborhood and he is slow and that he’s harmless and it could of been him.

I just wished my roommate reacted sooner, and just call the cops immediately rather than trying to figure it out ourselves. The one thing I’ve learned is if you see someone thinking about doing something bad and you’re aware of it, sometimes it’s best to let them know that you know they’re there, and hopefully they think twice about doing so. I went out calmly I didn’t look scared, I appeared unarmed so I’m hoping if he was having ill intent it makes him think twice about doing so.

I appreciate the USCCA for giving me the resources I need to properly defend myself.

2 Likes

We have 2 apartments in our building. There’s a 2 big doors on the outside go inside the 2 green doors and there’s a hallway with steps. The steps lead to two different apartments at the top of the stairs. After my roommate shut the door to our apartment and locked it, the man went outside, when I went outside he was standing in front of the doorway of one of our black neighbors. The neighbors to us inside the green doors are both ladies and they have their own cars and they’re worried after telling them. I still have yet to talk to the black neighbors because I hardly see them but I will when I get a chance.

1 Like

This is just foolish, when he hid from the leos it was time to call 911 & have it checked out. Done. Why go looking around, what purpose does that solve? Hero? I think not.

2 Likes

I just woke up and I just thought she said he was in the corner at the front of the doors just trying to warm up. The idea was to check to see if he was okay, I used to walk 2.5 miles to work, and 2.5 miles back in the winter so I know how it goes.

The other reason I went out there was to hopefully de-escalate a situation hopefully making him think twice about what he’s about to do. I didn’t know he hid when a cop drove past.

Like let’s say you’re walking to your vehicle and you find somebody hiding in bushes or what not. The best thing to do is to let them know hey I know you’re there, so they think twice about what they’re going to do.

After coming back inside and her telling me everything that happened, I wouldn’t of went out there if I knew what she knew, she should of called 911 right away.

2 Likes

So I understand a little better. Take care…

1 Like

The best thing would’ve been to call 911 and report a suspicious male was loitering in your hallway and give them a description and let them handle it. Stay alert and watch until the police arrive.

1 Like

Agreed. I would have stayed inside and minded my business. I would have also told my room mate to mind hers as well.

Stay safe out there.

1 Like