Situational Awareness Lesson - In The Corner

Yea, I don’t know though, Folks might get a little nervous when the door comes open and a guy in a hockey mask with a gun in hand is standing there…

2 Likes

I assume you mean handgun or firearm… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

LMFAO. I see what you did there, U A BAD MAN…

3 Likes

Hey Mike,

So this is something most don’t think about as concealed carriers…if there’s a threat…should I draw? The truth is, not in all cases. Your first instinct to draw could result in you losing your firearm or having it used on you. I’d highly recommend taking some courses on close quarter combat with firearms and you’ll quickly learn that the key to success is to first create space from the threat so when you draw, you minimize the chances your gun could be wrestled away. This could be backing up and creating space, or it could be striking the person(s) attacking you and use one arm to defend yourself while you draw with your other and use said firearm from the hip. There’s lots of scenarios but ultimately, training can help you to save yourself and those you care about and I’d highly recommend it. As someone who did have an encounter in an elevator while armed…I didn’t, and couldn’t draw till I “resolved” most of the issues giving myself some time and space to draw and provide them with a reason not to continue. Thankfully Security watched what unfolded on the security cameras and were waiting when the doors opened. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

When you get on the elevator, stand directly in front of the control panel with your back to the control panel, blocking it so that you have control of it. Note the location of the alarm button.

If the elevator stops on the way up and good guys or gals get on, ask their floor and punch the button for them, or step just far enough out of the way so they can punch it, themselves.

If it’s bad or suspicious guys or gals that start coming through the door to get on, then step out of the elevator as they are coming in and get off at that floor, even if not your floor. Then go up the stairs to your floor, or go down the stairs to the lobby and start over, or just wait there for the next ride up.

Carry something strong and sharp and legal that you can use to poke out eyes or your self-defense flashlight.

Adapt a mindset to do whatever it takes, even bite and latch down on a jugular or a cheek or nose or lip or ear, be prepared to bite it off. Remember, in an attack, you’re not fighting to win a trophy in a tournament with “fair fighting” rules. You’re fighting for your life. There are no rules and there is no “fairness” in this fight. Fight as dirty as is needed.

8 Likes

When I’m on the elevator and a single 20 something female gets on alone with me I sometimes want to ask them, “Do you realize you could have potentially put yourself in a dangerous position?”. My background says I’m the guy you want to get on the elevator alone with but there are those that aren’t quite so safe.

1 Like

If they are alone, I often step off when they step on, then catch the next one. If I’m waiting for an elevator and a female walks up, I’ll let them have that elevator, then wait for another. Better to do that than to be wrongly considered suspect.

Same thing walking across a parking lot to my vehicle or entering a building. I’ll walk a long route far around them or give them plenty of space otherwise.

These days, it’s often nearly impossible to provide gentlemanly courtesies to a lady without automatically being wrongly considered to be suspect. Too bad. Sad.

3 Likes

Lots to consider - ability to draw, position in elevator, should you leave the elevator, should you draw, what’s other force3 options are available and practical?

2 Likes