Signs it's time to clean your gun

Revolvers should be cleaned after every range trip, at least the cylinder, including the charge holes.

I have no idea how long any of my semi-autos can go, or what they would be like if they really needed to be cleaned, because they’re so ridiculously easy and quick to clean compared to revolvers. :slight_smile: I don’t try to remove all traces of carbon. I just take them down, wipe the loose carbon off everywhere I can reach with a patch, run a couple of wet patches down the barrel, wipe off old lube with a dry patch, re-lube, and reassemble.

I like the differentiation between Clean vs Lube. Never really thought about that. I will wipe my carry gun down with a slightly oiled cloth every week or two but not “clean” it unless shot. I wipe it down to just keep it from rusting (I live in Oregon, very wet environment 9 months out of the year) and to give it a good inspection. Becoming very familiar with the guns workings is another side benefit.

Put it this way, you can over clean your gun or clean it too much. I tear them down and clean them after every trip to the range. Is it necessary, probably not, especially with the Glocks lightly used. However I also spend a weekend every 6 months cleaning all my carry weapons. I am a firm believer of not using a ton of oil so after months and not shooting, I like to just tear it down, wipe it down and lubricate at what I believe to be optimum conditions. After the body heat and weather and transfer tot he holsters, clothing, etc. I just like to make sure it is ready to go if, god forbid, I ever need it. It is easy to do and it’s proper function absolutely required if called upon so I like to make sure it is always ready to go.

I think that you meant the opposite, but your words are correct. When thinking of human work/processes, less is more. Every time you touch something, there is a risk of making an error. With machines…not so much, but while humans like to (as my friend John call it) F with things, it isn’t normally a better or even equal result to just leaving things alone unless they truly need attention.

1 Like

You are correct. It should have read, can’t over clean.

My 1911s usually get a light re-lubing after a few hundred rounds and a thorough cleaning after about 4-500. My Glocks get taken into the shower with me when my hands get dirty from just touching them… :rofl:

4 Likes

Unfortunately the previous owner of this one waited a little too long;) Didn’t help that they fired 3 rounds then dropped it in the dirt for some reason where it likely sat for 100+ years.

1 Like

IDK. I’m such a newbie. Still learning. As an EDC, in the extreme rare event needing to use in an emergency, it gives peace of mind knowing it’s been cleaned.

I’m learning some firearms are more sensitive to others, where some might still operate well if it has not been cleaned of late, whereas others more prone to not operate at its best.

One example, is one of my revolvers does not react as well with particular ammo, so I seldom if at all use that ammo, such as the ammo brand which seems to leave more residue, compared to others; Thus one of my revolvers, rendering the cylinder extractor rod getting stuck in place, not pushing or moving back and not ejecting the spent shell casings, and so the spent shells would get stuck in the cylinder. Can you imagine that happening in an emergency needing to reload? Not the best quality revolver, but it’s mine. At the range, I carry a cleaning brush to push the shells out if/when it happens.

Other ammo rounds I find to burn cleaner when shot, and my ejector rod does not get stuck. I’ve had solid copper or copper plated ammo seem to run a little bit cleaner with less problems. Still, I learned to clean after each range use, and use the best ammo I can find for EDC, I sleep easier knowing they will not get stuck. Don’t forget to oil it, but not as much as one would clean, kinda like a car changing oil and getting a car wash. Always read the manual on your new arms, no matter how experienced you are, you’ll learn something new & safer - unique to that model.

Life depends on it. It’s serious stuff, no joke. Once I start on it, it’s relaxing. Cleaning the gun?; It’s the cleanest thing in the house now. :blush:

1 Like

How about these. LOL!

1 Like

Looks like it is going to be hard getting some of those to fire again to check for ballistics matches. The one in my picture sadly will never fire again. Though it was made in 1864 and in the ground for at least 100 years but still looks in better shape than some of those. Guess they don’t make them like they used to.

1 Like

Contact Larry Potterfield !

Just drop it in the Hornady Hot Tub for a couple hours😉

1 Like

Does Mr. Midway have a thing for civil war era Remington model 1858s? I would like to see if anyone can trace the serial number to a military unit. With the the wooden handles rotted off I don’t think there is any other way to know if it was ever accepted into the ordinance department for service.

1 Like

That looks like one of those dangerous firearms that NYPD or LAPD proudly posts on Facebook when they’re taken off the streets. :grin:

1 Like

Yes. We must get these dangerous relics off the streets!:wink: Good thing the Giffords folks are working so hard to close the “dangerous” black powder loophole. Can’t let potential active shooters get their hands on these high capacity, rapid firing, military style cap and ball and flint lock firearms!:confused:

3 Likes

Here’s an example:
NYPD-Revolver-1024x528.jpg (1024×528) (americanmilitarynews.com)

Kind of tongue in cheek on Larry! Sounds like you could have a project on your hands. Firearms museum curator could be of assistance. Good luck!

I clean after firing without fail. Its just something that was ingrained during my active duty days. Also I find it to be somewhat relaxing. After all weapons are cleared and disassemble I usually have a beer with friends and talk about the days range exploits. As a side note I carry an LCP as a back up. Its a good idea to check and may be clean back up gun. They tend to collect stuff. Mine let know this a ways back. Was at range firing my primary,And decided to draw my back up, It jambed due to fuzz that had accumulated. Check your equipment daily

2 Likes

Like the lint that gets in a cellphone charging port.

And I agree, it’s relaxing to take my guns apart, clean them, check them over, tuck them back into their cases and bags.

4 Likes