Should you carry with one in the chamber?

Depends on how you carry (strong side hip, inside/outside waistband, appendix, cross-draw). I carry appendix, and my glocks live in JM Custom Kydex “Wing Claw 2.0” or Tier 1 Concealed “Axis Elite”. There are several threads on holster recommendations that may help, or you can start a new one.

As stated though, there isn’t anything really special about carrying a P320, its just like any other striker-fired pistol. Protect the trigger area and be mindful when re-holstering, which is something you should be doing no matter the firearm anyway.

4 Likes

Yes I agree, If you place self in possible scenarios and do the timing on each that would tell the tale. Things simply don’t happen in slow motion. Plus I think folks who carry should know themselves and their firearm

3 Likes

All the Time!!!

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @ALEXANDER53 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Welcome aboard @ALEXANDER53 The only way to fly!

2 Likes

I did find a holster with strong enough security for my P320 RXP.
I don’t have a problem carrying with one clambered, but I do have issues with being liable if someone manages to snatch my weapon in a crowd. I don’t want some prankish kid to manage to snatch a ready to fire, no safety weapon.
I’m not asking for input here. I’m just finishing explaining what I was originally asking and showing I have a satisfactory rig.

1 Like

I did not read every reply post so this may have already been mentioned.
You “supposed” to treat your firearm as if it is loaded at “all times”, so why isn’t it (if it’s for your protection)?
Those who think they can chamber a round in heat of a situation has watched way way too many action movies. Sure there are a select few that can but they probably don’t!
I had a friend that every time he came home he would unholster and remove the round from the chamber. I asked him what’s the difference from having it holstered while carrying and having on the table or night stand. Keep it loaded if it is being used for your protection and not being stored or displayed (for those who put beautiful works of art in shadow boxes). Always think about those in your home and make sure your firearms are at “your reach” and not others!
Stay safe
Pax Et Bonum :anchor:

4 Likes
4 Likes

How do we know the guard carried unchambered handgun? Perhaps it was malfunction? He did not act as he knew there was no round in the chamber. :thinking:

2 Likes

That’s what it looked like to me, too.

Malf, or he forgot that he carried an unloaded gun… After he racked the slide, still no bang. Something was AFU — gun, ammo, operator, or some combo.

The choreography of the 4+ robbers — and that the bad guy chased the surrendering security guard off screen and apparently killed him — kind of gave me the vibe of a setup job with the inside accomplices eliminated by plan.

No disrespect intended to the slain — without evidence I presume they were honest working guys unable to get ahead of the train. Just a weirdness about it. :anguished:

2 Likes

If you choose to carry at all, God bless. However, if you carry without a round chambered, may God help you if you find yourself needing to draw.

Way I see it, if I must draw it’s because I’ve been left no choice but to fire. If I must fire, then a threat needs stopped asap, not asked politely to wait a sec while I prepare….
I respect every individual’s choice in how they choose to behave. I also question the logic and self-defense effectiveness of carrying without one in the pipe. Again, if u choose to carry that way, God help ya if u need that round, cause if u do, you’ll need it sooner than later.

5 Likes

This video from another thread shows the perp drawing, chambering and pointing, while the victim draws and fires. The perp never got a shot off. He learned two lessons the hard way that he took to the grave; always chamber a round in a carry firearm and never assault an armed citizen.

5 Likes

Wow is this a hot topic, even today. This post was submitted March of 2019 and has 951 replies (not including this one). Just yesterday, without even knowing about this particular post, I queried my group of shooting buddies with this very question to see what they thought. I carry a very new Canik METE SFT which has no thumb safety but does have the trigger safety.

One buddy of mine who did a short stint as a police officer was all for carrying with one in the chamber. Another, who ironically is ex-miltary, was vehemently opposed to it. I was surprised by his answer, but he didn’t trust the trigger safety I have on the Canik at all, and he’s thoroughly convinced I’m going to drop a round in my leg some day. Oh, and to clarify, all of my carry-holster solutions have trigger-well protection; the trigger and guard are never exposed.

For the month of Nov. 2021 I worked for Tim’s Shooting Academy here in IN and the guys there cut me a little crap because I carried ‘uncharged’ as in no round in the chamber. One of the guys offered to give me a draw-aim lesson to “increase my confidence” so I’d carry with one chambered. I never got to take that lesson but I am nearly to the point I’m comfortable carrying charged these days.

In the end I don’t fault either carry method as long as you train and are proficient with the method of your choice. I’ve seen very smooth shooters go through the whole draw-rack-acquire-fire process extremely quick and tag a center-shot at the same time, and I can’t think for the life of me what situation I would find myself in where I’d have to quick-draw-shoot without having the additional second of racking a round. I believe you should carry how you’re comfortable BUT, always carry the same way. Don’t mix it up as you’ll get confused if you ever have to draw in a situation. Either carry one chambered or carry without one chambered, but make it a definitive choice. That’s my two cents.

Peace.

3 Likes

Israelis trained to use the slingshot method, IIRC.

Cocked and locked is disconcerting at first.
“Isn’t that dangerous?” Someone once asked an old Texas Ranger
“Yes” was the reply. “It’s a firearm.”

7 Likes

Okay, so one of the video replies to this threat sent me down the rabbit hole of “caught on camera” videos and I found this little gem. What the police chief says, “Evil can never be dead enough” are no truer words. Despite the fear and violence, that saying had me laughing a bit.

Peace, and stay safe out there.

4 Likes

Definitely carry the way you feel comfortable but I have seen videos of a couple of common scenarios where having to take an extra second to rack the slide didn’t work out so well. And I can imagine quite a few more. Not to mention the scenarios where you don’t have an extra hand available to quickly rack the slide.

5 Likes

100% agree, plus there’s the argument that the gun could malfunction/misfeed anytime you have to rack a round.

4 Likes

“Wilder was out on bond at the time of the attack.”

Of course he was. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I can’t for the life of me figure out what new info could be added to this Saga!

2 Likes

We need conclusions and happy end :wink:

4 Likes