Should you carry with one in the chamber?

Well stated @Dave17.

1 Like

@George98

Interesting! Iā€™ve been ignoring the summarize button for a long time. So, the ā€œsummaryā€ or summaries refer to posts with the most likes :thinking: Interesting!

2 Likes

I think so particularly on a thread which is huge and / or old. Eliminates the things that the community thought were off topic, off base, or just trolling!

4 Likes

Iā€™m always rolling with one in the chamber. When I first started carrying, I would unload at the end of the day and rechamber the next day. Now I just keep it chambered until I go to the range for fmj or when I clean the gun. I heard a story once of a bullet compacting. Where the bullet actually get pressed deeper into the case from constant unloading and reloading. Anybody else ever heard of this. Iā€™m using critical duty right now and they appear to have a ring or lip to prevent this, so it must happen or they wouldnā€™t have created this design

3 Likes

I honestly donā€™t understand why some folks donā€™t have one in the tube because of someone taking it from them. Why have the mag in the grip? This would be really safe (lol). Would you carry a knife also to stop that ? makes sense to meā€¦

3 Likes

I would never carry one knifeā€¦ I carry two and at least several here carry more knives than that.

4 Likes

Carry with one in the chamber. If you are not comfortable with your firearm in that condition, train until you are. Be safe out there!

3 Likes

One in the chamber and ready (Glock carrier)always, Always, ALWAYS!

3 Likes

As I mentioned somewhere up in this thread, it took me a while to be comfortable with a round in the chamber. I did a lot of draws/reholster drills, and the only real risk I found (other than finger where it donā€™t belong) was the potential for my cover garment to get caught in the trigger guard. The trick to avoid that is always, ALWAYS pay attention to what youā€™re doing. The gun wonā€™t fire itself, but if youā€™re not paying attention and/or havenā€™t practiced clearing your cover garment, you could cause a negligent discharge.
There are weapons that can help with this. External safeties and/or decockers, revolvers or even a club. Clubs very seldom go off unintentionally.
A model 1911, for example, is designed for carry with one in the chamber, safety on. Beretta 92 series, one in the pipe, decock, safety. Both of those are hammer-fired.
I just picked up a Canik TP9DA, striker fired with decocker. So, one in the pipe, decocked and the first shot has a longer and slightly heavier trigger pull. As you can see, there are a number of options, but donā€™t think a safety or decocker means you donā€™t have to practice. Draw/reholster over and over until clearing your cover garment and taking the action is automatic. Do make sure your weapon is unloaded while you practice these actions.
When you go to the range, make drawing and then shooting part of your routine. You will find that practice will ease your concerns, as your skill will increase and muscle memory will smooth out your actions.

5 Likes

I always have one in the chamber and always have the thumb safety on when my EC9s is in my front pocket. And I practice dry-firing over and over again drawing from that pocket, flipping the safety off and acquiring the target. Just gotta do it, over and over again.

6 Likes

Yup! It doesnā€™t matter what firearm you have, practice is the key. Itā€™s the only way to get good at, well, just about everything.

3 Likes

This may have been answered several times in this thread, so I apologize in advance if Iā€™m calling up a redundant issue. There are too many comments and not enough time even though I get a lot of great advice here.
Iā€™ve always carried with a grip and thumb safety, thumb safety, or long DA first shot pull. I havenā€™t carried with a striker fired SA only with no safety (not even a Glockish trigger safetyā€¦I have carried Glockā€¦I apologize for omitting that safety).
Are there any special steps any of you are taking to carry say a Sig P320 in condition 1?
Iā€™ve carried the M17, but of course it is a little different.

2 Likes

For myself, there are 2 primary things (other than keeping your fingers where they belong) that I feel ensure safe carry of a SA striker fired sidearm. First and foremost, a properly fitted holster, preferably one designed for that specific weapon, that provides complete cover of the trigger, and second, being very careful when holstering not to get a garment caught in the weapon.
That pretty much takes care of it. It is, however, why I really like my Canik TP9DA with the decocker. That DA trigger pull adds another layer of confidence, although the first two things mentioned above are still of prime importance. I really like my long-slide TP9SFx, but the DAā€™s decocker has pretty much won me over for EDC.

5 Likes

All this I do. Iā€™ve carried and drilled at my home private range for a while.
Not only am I extra careful with my movements and positions with my firearm, but I carry in holsters with higher level security. Maybe I just need to go with what I have.

2 Likes

4" SA 1911, loaded with 1 chambered, Manuel safety on stuck in my lock leather holster. Practice and train and you will have no problems.

3 Likes

The Sig P320 seems to have a reputation for firing when it is not desired, apparently when dropped with the impact on a specific angle. Found a video or three on YT about it. I didnā€™t find much on safeties on the Sig site, just this, ā€œSafety isnā€™t negotiable. The P320 maximizes peace of mind with a robust safety system including both a striker safety and a disconnect safety, and because of its innovative 3-point takedown safety, never again will you need to pull the trigger to disassemble your pistol.ā€
I will say that for every video downing the weapon, thereā€™s a dozen praising it. Maybe have it looked at by a reputable gunsmith.
On the subject of you carrying without a safety, striker-fired weapons, at least the two brands Iā€™ve carried have an internal safety block that physically prevents the striker from falling if the trigger isnā€™t pulled. There may be other safeties as well, your ownerā€™s manual might have more info.
My first CCW was the Beretta APX Compact. Blade trigger safety, and that was the only external one. Iā€™ll freely admit I was more concerned about that than perhaps I needed to be, but an overabundance of caution is seldom a bad thing. As I practiced at the range, and learned more about the weapon online, I became more comfortable with it, although a nice thumb safety would have made me very happy.
When I sold it and got the Canik SFx, it was no different (although both bigger and lighter), but by then I was comfortable without an external safety. When I got the DA, I was very pleased with the double-action pull, and it has moved to my EDC now.
All that to say this: Only YOU can make you comfortable with your gun. The more you know about that specific weapon, the better your decisions about it will be. Learn all you can about the model you have, see if thereā€™s any upgrades it needs or any warnings or cautions about it.
Then, when you choose, itā€™ll be an informed choice.
Good fortune to you, and stay safe.

2 Likes

@Richard306 Iā€™ve torn down Sigs quite a number of times, including the P320/M17 with safety and the P320 without a safetyā€¦anywhere.
I can say that Sig not only fixed any ā€œdropā€ issue but made some pretty nice upgrades at the same time.
Iā€™ve carried mostly 1911 style handguns for quite a while. I have intended to change up from time to time, but Iā€™m familiar with these, and I donā€™t want to begin carrying one I havenā€™t drilled with sufficiently.
Iā€™m hoping to hear from someone who has been carrying a P320 w/o safety who can give little suggestions of any problems or special considerations for this particular weapon.
Youā€™re right, the Sigs are fine weapons. Very reliable.

3 Likes

If youā€™ve carried a Glock before, the P320 should be no different. Any of the non-external safety, striker fired pistols you can pretty well lump together in their handling. Glocks, S&W M&P series, some Rugers, some Walthers, some Caniks, etc, etc.

The most common cause of AD/ND is getting the trigger caught up in something while reholstering and the trigger gets pulled. Second most common is a poor holster that doesnā€™t protect the trigger and some external force can manipulate the trigger.

Ensure that whatever holster you are using properly protects the trigger area to prevent accidentally pulling the trigger. I prefer kydex, but a thick/strong/stiff leather or something similar will work.

Make extra care when re-holstering to ensure there is nothing in the holster (clothing, fired brass case, pencil, etc) before inserting. If possible, remove the whole holster from the belt, insert firearm then re-attach the whole shebang to the belt.

I carry appendix with striker-fired pistols in well-made kydex holsters.

You are correct that P320 solved those drop issues several years ago. I think they now use the same trigger as on the M17, but not 100% sure about that.

3 Likes

Over the year and a half that Iā€™ve owned it, I have never had any issues with my P320 XFive Legion firing when I didnā€™t intend for it to.

Itā€™s been an awesome gun. I donā€™t know of any considerations, special or otherwise, it needs beyond the four rules of gun safety.

2 Likes

@Alces_Americanus thatā€™s a fine choice.
Iā€™ve been hoping someone would come up with maybe a holster recommendation that is secure enough for me to comfortably carry thisā€¦something like that.
I have a holster for my Tanfoglio that has a triggered hard thumb release and also a secondary trigger guard lock/release. It works quickly enough with proper practice, but is almost impossible for someone to relieve me of the weapon. Thatā€™s one of my greatest concerns. I like having those levels of security when carrying my Tanfoglio. That handgun has a DA/SA but also a safety if I want to have it truly condition 1. If they werenā€™t heavy, Iā€™d use one of those holders for each of my handguns.
A local law enforcement officer near here says using that particular holster helps her relax just a little around groups of kids. They can get pretty curious.

2 Likes