Should Teachers be Armed?

Yet, millions of those people are in society, at churches around kids. At birthday parties, skating rinks, the mall, Walmart, etc. I too am a taxpayer, and I support teachers being armed. That means your opinion is negated by mine. By your logic, it should be a simple majority consensus. Then, who decides what level of training is enough? We’ve all seen where veteran officers, have made mistakes. Veteran soldiers, that one day crack under the pressure.

Is USCCA training enough? How many hours? How many rounds of live fire exercises? What is this mythical number you believe is the threshold to “allow” a teacher to carry a defensive tool, while in class?

As a taxpayer, I believe it is their right carry. Children are not imprisoned felons.
Children are on trial in a court of law.
If a child is in an interrogation room, then they might be dangerous.

Yes, on YOUR property you can decide whatever you want about who carries. Schools are public property, not yours.

I would leave those decisions up to people with far more real world experience than myself. I do know that though my presence in an active shooter situation would be better than nothing, my training and practice are far from preferable for that task. I have also encountered more than a few yahoos with guns who I want nowhere near my child. I believe the school system has a responsibility to make sure unqualified people are not allowed in a position where they could harm him.

While I do agree in theory with this, the fact is that what they are teaching is more dangerous than the possibility of someone coming into the school with a gun. Many of the teachers are ideologically trying to indoctrinate our kids. Which is extremely dangerous.

3 Likes

If teachers are allowed to carry, will the Gun Free Zone signs be removed??

Does the Second Amendment end with “except teachers”?

1 Like

That took less than a minute on a search engine.

Here’s another…

…and one more. All in the top 10 results for a basic web search.

And this one involved the police chief’s girlfriend (a teacher’s aide) and the chief tried to cover it up. I can keep going to disprove the false statements of “it never happens” if necessary…

We should be careful with this line of reasoning. Taken to it’s ultimate conclusion, it could be turned on our homes, could it not? I have children at my house, so if it’s unsafe to carry a firearm in a school, then it must be unsafe to store a firearm in my home. And if I don’t know what the threshold is for training a teacher to respond to an active shooter scenario, then how can I know when the police are prepared? At least the teacher knows the building and the students. What advantage do the police have in a school shooting except for radios, body armor, and qualified immunity? Is that enough to justify waiting for them to arrive while minors are being shot?

Maybe just ban firearms altogether since we don’t know what level of training is required?

We had a school shooting nearby, last year. A teacher saved lives by taking bullets intended for children. Is that better than having a teacher who can return fire and end the massacre?

1 Like

I take your point. However, these reports mostly go to prove a basic law of the universe which I like to call the Human Unreliability Constant. No system, no matter how well designed, how thoroughly implemented, can overcome the probability (some would say likelyhood) that it will at some point fail due to the Human factor.

Consider also the idea of hardening the facilities with trained security posted at restricted points of entry and metal detectors. That system will be designed, implemented, manned, and monitored by the lowest bidder. A veritable hot soup of potential failure vectors.

It’s a complex problem fraught with dire possibilties in the event of failure. We need to do our very best but not allow perfection to be enemy of good.

And in all cases, the negligent party was charged. As they should be.

So because of these instances, which there are exponentially more of than the negligence with guns, should we ban all teachers from being around children. You have to pass background checks to be a teacher. There is a minimum requirement to be a teacher. Yet, these monsters are still allowed to expose themselves to our youth. You see my point?

2 Likes

So you want everyone to have the rignt to be armed at all times, no matter job? Lab techs, Beauticians, Road Crews, everyone? Will all liability be removed from the employers?

Yes. As far as liability, I believe it should be removed as well. The liability lies with the individual. If that individual does something negligent, it’s on them 100%.

4 Likes

I am good with that​:+1::+1:

1 Like

There are many more qualified people besides teachers in a school that are likely to have a proper mindset to protect lives. Since the NEA is mostly against self defense, they should be relied on much more than teachers.

As long as the teacher takes full responsibility in any weapon event, just like a everyone else

2 Likes

There are lots of people with various skills and talents. I might not want a typical Navy Seal teaching my son English just as I would feel very uncomfortable with the typical untrained English teacher carrying a firearm in a school environment.

If some of those teachers or better yet school staff can get the proper training and display the necessary skills then I would feel more comfortable with them being an armed protector in my son’s school.

1 Like

The option of having/allowing school employees to be armed, under a regimen determined by the school, should be available to all schools when considering safety and security planning. It should be neither required nor prohibited.

1 Like

Teachers should be armed jf they have some level of firearm training. My younger sister is a retired high school teacher in Bandera, Tx… They had a class for teachers who had their CCL (Tx. is since become a 2A state requiring no Government permit). She attended & always carries at school. The kids were safer because of it as well as my sister. Gun free zones are a killing field. A mass shooting only lasts as long as it takes the 2nd gun to arrive.

1 Like