Should handgun training be a prerequisite for a concealed carry permit?

I think this will be another which is better, 45 or 9mm discussion. Other than voting, carrying a concealed firearm is the only other right that can cause immediate injuries that may not be recovered from (lol.) You always have the right to protect yourself and bear the arms to ensure that ability. But you also have a responsibility to know how to use the firearm competently in the community. Its really not about the weapon or the right to carry, its your mindset that should guide you in your habits especially carrying concealed. With this said I highly recommend you train as much as you can afford both money and time, don’t limit it to just firearms and be humble. Good luck.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @Mike150

1 Like

Yeah brother.

Aside from training, as a few regions already require some form, I do also admire how passionate some of our peers here talk about ongoing teaching to one another.

I thought I had a lot of training. But it was a critical incident I experienced related to safety that changed my life and approach. Still a staunch supporter of the 2A, but much more careful and more dedicated to spread the word on how to be safe, yet forever a student myself.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Brian503
Wow, those training expenses seem quite outrageous. Is that for training pertaining to the Concealed Carry Permit (CCP), or for some other type of more specialized training?

If that is for the CCP I’d say that borders on the criminal, and those instructors are cutting their own throats. If it is for more specialized training there might be some validity, though the pricing seems very suspect.

1 Like

Well said @James1281, and along the correct line of reasoning.

One small caveat, let’s all remember that the right to bear arms is not granted by the government. They would love for us to believe that. Because if they grant it, they can take it away. The right of self-defense (against harm, death, tyranny) is a natural right, given to us by our creator.

Its extension the right to bear arms in self-defense (against harm, death, tyranny) is specifically protected from infringement by the restrictions placed on government in our constitution. The right is protected for The People, which should train with those firearms. Because how else would they be a well-regulated (organized and trained) militia. To be well-regulated we as responsible firearms owners have a duty to train on the proper use of those “arms”. This “duty to train” should be taken willingly by the individual that wants to exercise the right to keep and bear arms, and should not be mandated by the government.

4 Likes

Good morning Luddite Vic, the training costs as well as the fees in some of the states is astronomical and currently ever changing. NJ really just opened their CCW to the average person in Oct. of this year. I have suggested USCCA to a few persons that I know in NJ but currently they will not be offering full benefits to NJ residents. I also forwarded the new LEOSA in a post to Johnnyq60 which modified its restrictions and requirements. I’ll just say I’m glad I escaped and retirement is good.

3 Likes

The FOREIGNERS DO NOT CARE ABOUT A TRAINING COURSE WE HAVE TO DEFEND OUR LIVES THE LAW ENFORCEMENT HAS BEEN MISS TREATED AND THEY HAVE BEEN UNDER FUNDED AND WE NEED TO TAKE COURSES TO TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT AND HONOR. WHAT WOULD I DO IF THE ATF KNOCKED ON MY DOOR I WOULD ANSWER IT WITH RESPECT THEY ARE NOT EVIL PEOPLE OR CRIMINALS THEY ARE DO THE RESPECT AS ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES I DO NOT BLEAVE THEY WAKE UP AND SAY WHO ARE WE GOING TO ABUSE TODAY. I TOOK AN OATH ! And BACK THE BLUE IS YES THE ATF. FBI DOJ LEOS I BLEAVE IN RESPECT 24/7/365 :us:

@Brian503, Welcome to the Community!

1 Like

USCCA memberships are not available in New Jersey, and that’s not a decision by the USCCA or Delta Defense, but at the state level.

Concealed Carry Magazine subscription is currently legal to have in New Jersey

1 Like

Unfortunately from what I have been told by a delta defense associate, the magazine as well as some training videos were available to NJ residents. That was about it. This inquiry was made sometime in Oct when NJ was forced to grant CCW permits. I’m sure you saw my post re/LEOSA where they couldn’t ban hollow point ammunition. Amazing place, the few led by the unknowing………

2 Likes

Thank You

2 Likes

This is correct.

You can subscribe to Concealed Carry Magazines, make a free account at uscca.com, use the community and the blog, watch you YouTube channel, etc…but not membership or any of the membership-only benefits.

Same for NY and WA

1 Like

So yes those prices are absurd. You would think our own ppl would want to help us get our CCP not extort us. I totally understand time is money. No issue with paying someone for their time… but most prices are crazy.
The good news is a friend of mine who hates what NY is doing and what other trainers are doing to " get rich" off a situation Decided he is going to offer the course at a much loser rate. (450)
which is a bit more reasonable.
so the break down
18 hrs of class room instruction
class 1 safety / storage / law
c;lass 2 NRA CCW
Class 3 Conflict management / use of deadly force / suicide prevention
class 4 Basic pistol marksmanship Qualification
wanna hear the best joke on the Qualification portion. In order to qual you must hit the paper target with 5 out of 6 rounds … let me clear that up, you just have to hit the paper !! not center mass no grouping requirement nothing. you just have to hit the paper with 5 bullets… btw its at 14 ft ( i think or less) with i think an 8x10 target

1 Like

As the demand increases the prices will reflect it, hopefully. For now, it’s new, bright, and shiny; your nose will bleed.

There is a psychology behind it. Marksmanship and proficiency are not the goal nor is it the objective for CCP, really.

1 Like

I can now see what the possible “price hike” might involve.

If the state requirement is 18 hours I can see why a class would possibly cost so much. It also has to include range time, which adds a separate level of effort (liability and an RSO). So a class that would normally cost about ($150-$250) dollars (3-4 hours + 1 hour range) turns into a multi-day event (add hosting fees), which almost quadruples the cost. I think the prices are still slightly high, but not as high as I originally suspected. Also, as someone said if demand is so high, and supply of instructors is low, you also run into how valuable is an instructor’s time.

I don’t begrudge anyone trying to make a buck, I’m an instructor and I want to make a buck too. But I also believe in providing good realistic value. Based on what you mention I think that $600-$750 dollars is probably an appropriate price. If I had my own range facility that price could also drop. That also depends on number of participants. I can safely handle 10 shooters at a range (safety concerns). After that you’d need a second RSO, so increase cost. So your buddy doing a class for $450 is, IMO, a real steal.

Like I said, now that more information is available, I can see why the prices are high. So I don’t think the instructors are just trying to get rich. There are other factors involved that simply make this situation pricy. If I was an instructor in the area I might take a different approach, but I can see why some of the prices are as they are.

1 Like

I do get it. I guess a lot of it on my side is i can’t afford it lol. I totally stand behind people and their business.
More annoyed with NY and the hoops they are making us jump through just to have a conceal carry

3 Likes

Totally agree.

2 Likes