Short, But To The Point

In case you’ve never seen VIVA ZAPATA! (1952), here’s the short scene that drives home a point against gun-control I mentioned in an earlier post. After the 1910 Revolution, Zapata is rebuilding the state of Morelos as its governor. One day Francisco Madero, the ill-fated, naive reformer and new President shows up, and states that he now wants to disarm the peones that fought to put him in office. Zapata seizes a Winchester he keeps in his office, points it at Madero, and says, “GIVE ME YOUR WATCH!” Startled, Madero hesitates. “I SAID, GIVE ME YOUR WATCH!” Madero hands it over. “NOW YOU TAKE THE GUN!” Zapata gives Madero the Winchester. “NOW YOU CAN HAVE YOUR WATCH BACK!” I don’t think the scene is over 30 seconds. By the way, John Steinbeck wrote the screenplay.

7 Likes

I know I’m slow but…I don’t get it :thinking:

“It is better to die standing than live on your knees.” - One of Zapata’s three quotes on this same subject.

1 Like

He took the watch by force (pointing the rifle at him). He then gave him the rifle and told him he can now have his watch back (as he is now the one with the overwhelming force). “Gun control” seeks to disarm us and make us powerless against those with arms (weapons), which that scene clearly demonstrated.

4 Likes

THAT I understand :+1:

I understand the above but the metaphor as cited from the movie still escapes me. Why did he give the gun back? Once you disarm someone, you don’t re-arm them. “I have the gun AND the watch so beat it before you get lead poisoning” would be my way of thinking. Is the metaphor an idealist vs. realist kind of thing? Maybe I’m just overthinking it. I told you I was slow. :crazy_face: LOL!

Without guns, we have no defense for our lives and property, outside of the rule of law and due process. It takes a gun to stop a gun, and our birthright - the right to OWN guns - is the right to remain FREE - the difference between being a citizen and a subject.

4 Likes

Or a couple of home invaders with or without crowbars, knives, etc. A firearm in the hands of an innocent civilian gives them a fighting chance against becoming an injured or dead victim.

5 Likes

We have forgotten another thing about our right to own guns. Without a gun you are not only subject to anyone with a gun, but anyone with overwhelming force of any other kind as well, be that size, youth, anger, drugs, numbers, or fighting skills. 90 pound granny who knows how to use her AR-15, with the normal capacity magazine, is helpless before none of those things.

5 Likes

Can we find another dead horse to flog?

Sorry @KURT17 , some things just seem to bear repeating, especially in these days of disinformation.

3 Likes

Amen!
I’m glad someone else understands that the others are reduced capacity magazines!!

3 Likes

To prove his point, and it is a movie…

There’s a bone that hasn’t been ground to dust yet.

1 Like