September Is National Preparedness Month 2023

Some thoughts from City Prepping, I watch him because he is one of the calm voices in the Prepper community’s. I have learned much from him about staying calm. :slightly_smiling_face:

Start and strive for your solid 3 months and beyond.

Skills, skills, skills. Tools, tools, tools. 1 year is so far beyond just food. :thinking:

1 Like

this is an interesting site…

and has provided a couple of list of things and people most likely needed when forming a group

2 Likes

A companion video to the two above.

“Apocalypse does not point to a fiery Armageddon, but to our ignorance and complacency coming to an end.” Joseph Campbell.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt

2 Likes

With the invasion in full force, September, October, November and every month thereafter are preparedness months!
Hopefully, “CLIMATE CHANGE” will send them back to where they came from!
Furthermore, if the border is “CLOSED” why is the moron in the Oval Office complaining about concertina wire being cut and buoys in the water? That’s a special kind of stupid!

This is the only portion of the border that’s closed!
EVERYDAY IS PREPAREDNESS DAY :exclamation:

IMG_3753

2 Likes

one thing I would like to know is… what are the invaders going to do wen the snow starts flying. here at Mi. tech the international students start bundling up in mid October wen it starts cooling off

2 Likes

I hope, like the skeeters, freeze and die off. :thinking:

2 Likes

One of the things we have not touched on is “cash on hand”. Most would recommend 3 months wages and I agree, but because of several large purchases I am sitting at one month but working back up.

Silver and Gold… One cannot afford Gold right now $1.902.85 per ounce and hope to make a profit.
Silver… $22.86. I live in a state that taxes Silver and Gold so my Silver would have to go over $34.00 for me to see a profit. :roll_eyes:

Change… A quart Mason jar will hold about $130.00 or more of change, it adds up.
I have 4 jars in my safe, our next vacation. :slightly_smiling_face:

So, it seems that brass, lead and primers are worth more. Nails and hammers may be worth more than Silver and cash, but it seems you should have a bit of each on hand. :+1:

4 Likes

After the crash the 1.00 bill most value will be used as wrap for ‘‘paper patching’’ lead slugs :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I do believe on stocking up on tangibles for trading

4 Likes

A good timeline from C.P. with ideas and warnings. A voice of reason without panic. :thinking:

Some ideas and comments from the responses. :+1:

This may seem odd to some, but my wife and I started intermittent fasting a few months ago. The health benefits are enormous and it has cut down on our food intake, thus grocery bills. One thing I would add that a person can start immediately is getting into better shape. There’s tons of reliable information online that will help. I have spent a lot of time researching nutrient dense foods and there benefits. You can have all the prepping supplies imaginable but if you aren’t in decent shape they will do nothing to help you survive.

During the 2021 freeze in Texas, we were without power for +48hrs, some were without for much longer. In the first 24hrs, every gas station had run out of gasoline. There were lines of cars a mile long waiting to get gas at the few places that had it. People began fighting in line, no regard for each other. You could feel the tension. Every grocery store like HEB was empty. The shelves had nothing. When they restocked, people could only get one gallon of milk and one pack of meat per purchase. People began fighting over the food. It’s astounding that in such a short amount of time, society here was on the brink of collapse. This was 2 days of no power. Imagine a week?

I survived 3 weeks without power and without running water after Wilma hit Miami as a Cat 3 hurricane back in 2005. No looting in our area, no need to use food or water from the National Guard. Several families from the neighborhood exchanged ph numbers and organized an improvised security teams at night, all very well and legally armed. During the day we help each other in cleaning and sharing or trading goods. That was a temporary or at least an end in sight crisis. In a situation of civil war, world war, social collapse, or a natural disaster of a greater magnitude, the story will be very different.

5 Likes

Different topic-ish, this is where people with an EV plugged into their garage are going to be ahead of most people with an ICE.

Remember, it’s been proven that literally more than 50% of ICE vehicle drivers don’t get gas until after the low fuel light comes on. Those people are going to be without anything. No range left, nothing to buy.

My suggestion, nothing to do with a societal collapse but it might help even then: Don’t let your fuel tank get below half. Diesel, gas, whatever…fill up at half religiously.

No getting caught on fumes after an earthquake, no “I had to stop at this dangerous gas station in the bad neighborhood because I was out”, etc.

2 Likes

I am considering growing these in my back yard next year.

Amaranth: A Secret Survival Food - City Prepping

4 Likes

Just ordered from here.

Bring Your Garden to Life with Rare and Heirloom Seeds (rareseeds.com)

1 Like

Just ordered for 2023. :+1:

Heirloom and Open Pollinated Seeds - St. Clare Heirloom Seeds - Heirloom and Open Pollinated Vegetable, Flower, and Herb Garden Seeds (stclareseeds.com)

1 Like

looks like they changed the name
use to be Baker Creek seed co

1 Like

I can’t speak to the varieties of amaranth they are selling but the wild varieties literally grow like weeds in a bunch of different habitats and conditions. We have a patch in our herb garden that just started on its own years ago. I know the Native Americans used this variety for a number of purposes so we’ve just let it grow. Will have to check and see if it is one of the varieties they are recommending. Should be a very easy crop for most people to grow.

Having alternative medicine options could become very important since most of our medications come from China these days.

4 Likes

O.K. September is over but the preparedness goes on and on, I hope everyone who read or responded has learned something, I know I did.
Keep prepping and searching for knowledge. Knowledge is King…
Thank you everyone. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Rope and Cord | Quality Bulk Rope Supplier - Custom Lengths Available

A sorta new company 2018, not all made in the USA but based in the USA.

Rope and Cord

Fargo, ND orders@ropeandcord.com

Guides & Ideas - Rope and Cord
I liked this section. :arrow_up:

About Us

Whether you’ve come for dock lines, or wilderness survival cord, we have quality solutions for you. Browse our selection of both man-made and natural fiber ropes to purchase by the foot for custom projects, or by the spool at wholesale prices. You are sure to find the right rope—at the right length and at the right price—to fit your needs!

Based in Fargo, ND, Rope and Cord was established in 2018 to fill a gap: A straightforward rope store that helps its customers make informed buying decisions. We endeavor to give you the information you need to help you decide what kind of rope is best suited for your project.

Simplicity

You probably don’t have the time to pick through the hundreds of options for rope on the internet. That’s why we keep things simple on Rope and Cord. We have chosen what we believe to be the best variety and quality of rope to sell on our site.

Service

Customer Service is at the heart of who we are. Our goal is for our reliable service to be one less thing you have to worry about. Should an unforeseen issue arise with your order, visit our contact page for more information.

1 Like

Thanks for keeping this discussion flowing. My family continues to keep putting stuff back for a rainy day. What we are doing to prepare presently/recently.

1. I finished a masters degree last May. Hopefully makes me more marketable of an employee in an economic downturn.

2. We bought a family gym membership this summer. We are all working out together. Strengthening the family and the body at the same time.

3. We buy a little extra of non-perishable stuff at each grocery trip and set it back for hard times. With thanksgiving here the local grocery stores give away free turkeys if you spend a certain dollar amount. So we have two free turkeys in the freezer (some would argue I’m a turkey but that’s a different story.)

4. Organizing the basement area where my supplies are. It’s much easier to see what we have on hand now.

5. I have an electrician coming to wire our house for a generator. We had one given to us years ago and never got it installed. (Not a whole house, but should run the well, refrigerators, and a few essentials.)

6. I am building a supply list and “bug out bag” (hate that term, but…) for my son who goes off to college in the not to distant future.

7. We are getting a will done. (Way late on that and I know better.)

6 Likes

I am glad your family is involved, it makes all the difference. Prepping is a never-ending journey. It sounds like you and yours are on track. Stay safe out there. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes