Sentencing of Ahmaud Arbery shooters

There’s no evidence that Arbery did anything wrong, other than trespass in a home under construction. Which, by the way, many people in this discussion have done. (Actually, at that particular site, there were many people caught on camera in the months leading up to the altercation.) The McMichaels had no right to try and stop and question him. Greg McMichael testified ON THE STAND that he tried to stop Arbery to question him. He had zero authority to do that. Now, until you can explain to me how Greg and his father had the legal authority to try and detain Arbery, then I can’t hear you. Your logic makes no sense. If you can explain that to me, when Greg McMichael testified under oath that’s what he attempted to do, then I can consider your point. Otherwise, you’re trying explain the opposite of what Greg McMichael said on the stand AND in LE video immediately after the shooting. They basically admitted to trying to detain Arbery. And they had no authority to do so. THAT was the threat. That’s why they couldn’t claim self defense. Because their actions created the situation. We learn this in our USCCA training.

1 Like

His actions created the situation. His committing an illegal act began the sequence of events. Did you also learn that committing illegal acts is also illegal, i.e., trespassing, regardless of how many people do it? It would certainly clear-out traffice court and most prisons if it is okay just because others do it.

You addmitted to his trespassing. Last I knew that was illegal. Based on the fact that there were burglaries in their neighborhood, seeing a stranger enter a person’s home is suspicious under those circumstances.

When this incident occurred, Georgia had a citizens arrest law in place. That law allowed a citizen to detain another citizen if they had immediate knowledge of a committed felony.

The McMichaels had no knowledge of an immediate felony committed by Arbery, and in fact weren’t 100% sure Arbery was who trespassed. They had no authority to try and determine if Arbery was the person who trespassed, but even if they were sure, trespassing is a misdemeanor. Also, in Georgia, you cannot use firearms to protect property in This manner.

The McMichaels should have called law enforcement and possibly gotten a photo/video of him. They made the decision try and question him. They attempted, by their own admission, to detain him. Which is illegal….because they had no authority. That’s like someone trying to question you for waking down the street bc you look like someone who broke into a car two months ago (it had been months since anything had been reported stolen in that neighborhood, so that’s kind of a non-issue). They drive to cut you off. Yell at you to stop. Then get out of the car with a firearm. For the final time, except for the actions of the McMichaels, who didn’t have any authority behind their actions, Arbery wouldn’t have the opportunity to grab the shotgun. Those are the facts. You’re arguing that the McMichaels were defending their neighborhood against a known criminal. They weren’t sure. They thought he was, but by their own admission they weren’t sure. And even if he was the guy, it wasn’t an felony, so they had no authority. It really is that simple. But it seems you want this to fit your narrative. So, you continue to live in this fantasy world and ignore the key facts to this case.

1 Like

They were not protecting property with firearms.

No, those two things are not similar.

Yet, in the video, it is clear he did grab the shotgun.

No, I have not argued that, and even specifically mentioned that in my posts.

I have not dedicated my life to this story. I do not know what anyone involved stated; to the police, written statements, in court, whatever. My opinion is based solely on the videos I have seen. However, you, in your world, seem to believe assaulting someone is justified, moral and legal. I do not share that belief, and if I ever did something as stupid as he and was caught coming out of someone’s home, where the only crime I committed was trespassing, I would not run away. Further, if someone stopped me to ask why I trespassed, I would be man enough to admit my error and apologize. I most certainly would not assault someone.

There is an update to this story, today, but I’m not clear from the article how this is different than what was reported back in January.

1 Like

I hear you. I hope the public knows, there are many people who would never have done what they did, and many disagree with the actions the 2-3 men took which led to the man’s death. I suspect if they could do it all over again, they simply would have just called the police and served as a witness if the courts were to ever find evidence that he committed a crime.

Even if one took race completely out of the equation; If you think someone seems suspicious, don’t take the law into your own hands. “Monday Morning Quarterback”, but it makes me think about common sense, & judgement.

Take a moment to stop, think, breath, before you act.

There are too many good people in the world; We need not pre-judge all nor make generalizations. My point is, we ain’t all like those 2-3 men who survived that day were. And many of us are like that man who died.

2 Likes

Not in the least. I would never have attacked someone holding a shotgun. He had the opportunity to flee, but chose to attack. We are taught to avoid conflict, avoid, take cover and as a last resort to fight.

That shooting was in no way self defense.

2 Likes

It’s deadly calculus, but depending on the circumstances, you might have a better chance stepping towards the shotgun and trying to get control of it, rather than running away from it and being a human clay pigeon. It didn’t work out for Mr. Arbery, but he should not have had to make that choice, and I hope none of us are ever in the same position.

2 Likes

I’m a lot older, trained for combat in the Marine Corps and under the circumstances Arbery faced, unarmed faced with at least two armed assailants, who know what mistakes I would have made. I agree Arbery coulda, woulda, shoulda but that easy for me to say sitting here in my office in front of a computer screen. Honestly thinking about it, my heart rate would’ve even over 150, my breathing rate close to 150, my blood pressure would have pegged the mercury and I damned sure wouldn’t be thinking clearly. Even if I were armed with my favorite self-defense firearm, an M-1 with amour piercing 150 grain slugs, I still would be in a high state of anxiety.

3 Likes