Semi auto vs revolver? Which is your preference?

They work every time, no slap-rack-rattle and roll >>> revolvers have always been my first choice not my last choice.

2 Likes

Hi all, I’m the new “kid” on the block and I would like to add my views to this topic. In 27 years of law enforcement I carried both revolver and semi auto pistol on duty. When I entered law enforcement I was issued a S&W Model 10 in .38 Sp. I later switched to a S&W Model 19 in .357 Magnum. I also carried a S&W Model 59, in 9mm and finished off with a Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm. I retired in 1999 and continued to carry my P226. I recently switched to a revolver, the Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. I still carry my Sig, occasionally. But I feel more comfortable with the Bulldog. I’m always on the alert for a sidearm that is concealable and comfortable. Some of the new compact semi autos are of interest to me. S&W, Springfield Armory, Ruger, and Walther have some interesting weapons and I may change my mind again. It really is not important what you carry as long as you are comfortable with it. The important thing is to protect yourself and your family.

2 Likes

Did 40 years. Started out in 1973. The issue revolver was a Smith and Wesson Model 15 Combat Masterpiece .38 Special. Carried that for 18 years in patrol. I have no issue with trusting my life to a revolver. I never was undergunned. Then they forced me to go to the Beretta 92f 9mm. Had 16 rounds and two 15 round mags. Lots of ammo compared to the revolver. The one shooting I was involved in happened with the revolver. Settled it with 3 rounds. Now retired I often have a 5 shot .38 Smith 642 with concealed hammer on me. I like the idea of firing through a jacket pocket. Surprise!

2 Likes

Bulldog, I only fired a Beretta once, I found it to be big in my hand, too barrel heavy, and heavy on recoil and recovery. My favorite auto is the Sig, as I said in my comments, I still carry it concealed from time to time. I don’t think it really matters what you carry as long as you are comfortable with it. Let’s face it, if you do your due diligence at the range the first round should hit the center mass. If that don’t get their attention the rest is up to you and the Lord. I agree with you about the jacket pocket, don’t give the Mutt a chance to defend itself. Good talking with you, thanks for your service and dedication, Spider1.

A really good belt is tops when carrying OWB or IWB. For me I use a riggers belt, the nylon ones with velcro that can be used in an emergency to rappel with. They are stronger an sturdier than leather, an don’t get misshapen after years of wear. For my IWB holster I tend to use a Galco summer special leather, or PJ’s holster kydex rig. both hold my firearm from movement, an with the PJ holster it locks the firearm till I need it. For carrying my J-frame I use a Ken Null City Slicker upside down shoulder rig. The holsters are made to only the firearm you request it for, an the gun isn’t going anywhere till you draw it. I tend to carry my J-frame as a BUG to my MP EZ9. Now if I have to be someplace where I can’t carry a gun, I carry my Ruger LCP-II .380 in a pocket holster with two spare mags in the other pocket. Thats the only time I carry that way. As to my IWB I carry strong side behind my left hip. The pistol just disappears there, an I’ve never been made with my firearm.

1 Like

Shoulder holster. Reminds me of the 70’s and “Miami Vice.” Had one for awhile for a 4 inch .38. That didn’t last long. Had a mustache and long sideburns too. All cops in the 70s did. Ha.

I can go either way. I only own one revolver…a Ruger GP 100 stainless 6 inch .357. If that’s what I can get to…IT’LL DO THE JOB!!!

1 Like

For rimmed cartridges, revolvers - for pistol cartridges, pistols. I have no preference, but I’d like to see at least one other maker introduce a “Rhino”- inspired .41 Special.