Semi auto vs revolver? Which is your preference?

Just prefer semi auto for ammo capacity, ability to carry multiple magazines and multiple target engagements.

1 Like

For me it is revolver! I have a S&W 640 Pro Series that I pocket carry. I love the ease of use and dependability of the revolver. I started with semi auto’s, and evolved to revolvers. The most important factor is the relationship between you and your firearm. If it feels right for you, then it is!

4 Likes

Do you carry a speed loader with you as well, @Pat? I know a lot of us carry an extra magazine with us on a daily basis, how does that work for you with a revolver?

1 Like

Ms. Pat Benincasa
www.patbenincasa-art.com

Hi Dawn,

I have had my 640 for about a month and a half. The gun is designed with the Cylinder cut for moon clips. You drop the moon clip with cartridges, close and shoot. In the past I have not carried speed loaders but an extra 5 in a little pouch.

This summer, I want to train with a revolver person who can show me defense training and how to smoothly use speed loaders/ moon clips.

I used to carry a Taurus 7RND snubbie, but when the wheel locked when firing at the range, I got rid of it. I have never had that happen with my any of my S&W revolvers!

BTW, I really enjoy the forum.

Pat

2 Likes

What caused the lockup? Taurus uses an internal lock as do some Smiths. I don’t believe the 640 Pro does. Just my curiosity.

1 Like

I dont know what caused it to get stuck. It happened 3 times in one range time. I am careful of the ammo I use. I clean my revolvers immediately when I get back from the range. I have never had that happen before and I have shot S&Ws, Colts and Rugers. The week it happened, I sold both my Taurus revolvers. I have since read on forums that this has happened with Taurus.

1 Like

I own one or two hand guns but only one revolver. It is the first handgun I ever purchased and I dont think I will ever part with it. A S&W 357 mag I purchased used (from a gun shop) in 1985 with the sole purpose of using it for deer hunting (first year it was legal to do so in Wisconsin). Much to bulky for an EDC but for accuracy at a 100 yards its hard to beat. That first year I filled my tag with a 70 yard shot which dropped it on the spot.

1 Like

I’m the same. I have and carry both depending on where I am and what the circumstances are on any given day. I’ll usually carry two /speed loaders and some loose bullet/s in a bag when I do.

1 Like

It can happen with any revolver if yob get sand or brass filings stuck i the slot where the rod comes up to advance the cylinder.

2 Likes

WildRose, Thanks for the information. I always like to learn about revolvers.

1 Like

I’m no expert on revolvers but I have been shooting them since the early seventies. :smiley:

Currently I only own 7 of them and shoot four of them on a weekly basis.

2 Likes

Everybody needs at least one wheel gun. Even if it’s just a range gun.

3 Likes

I kinda feel the same way about 1911’s.

2 Likes

OK WildRose, I think you more than meet the threshold of credibility on revolvers!

2 Likes

Rolling back through some old posts here… that looks like it would be a joy to shoot @Steve-G. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It’s a great carry gun, especially being 10+1 is nice as well. I wish they still made them.

2 Likes

Carried a revolver 13 years in patrol in rough areas. Never felt undergunned. Six in the revolver and two 6 round speed loaders. Then they forced me to go to the Berreta 92F.

Just something about the revolver I feel comfortable with. Like a baseball player with his favorite bat. I like the option of making contact shots if necessary and the ability to fire through a jacket pocket with my concealed hammer revolver.

As far as number of rounds. I don’ t remember any shootings where the Deputy had to reload his revolver.
You read about today’s police shootings and there appears to be a lot of “spraying and praying” going on with innocent civilians getting hit (especially New York City.)

When we carried revolvers with six rounds we knew we had to hit. As Wild Bill Hickock advised we “took our time, quickly.”

1 Like

Short barreled .45’s are rather difficult to control and have a massive muzzle blast.

1 Like

There’s more truth to that than most people would like to admit.

When I was regularly guiding wild bird hunts a whole lot the best way to help a client out that was shooting poorly with a semi auto was to hand him a double.

2 Likes

I love my .45s :grin: my new Glock G30 shoots almost as sweet as my G21. Of course one has to shoot one to know, but I’m putting the warthog on my list should one ever wander across my path.