Self Defense - Grizzly bear

Wrestling with the bear he accidently shots himself in the leg.

On the street, if I’m wrestling with an attacker? You very easily could shot yourself?

3 Likes

If you are wrestling with a bear the only two options are bear spray or gun. If you are wrestling with a person the main option should be de-escalation. Your gun is not usually the best option unless you are in fear of losing your life.

2 Likes

If I’m wrestling with anyone, I’m probably a goner.
Pray for my eternal repose. :disappointed:

10 Likes

3 questions I have. Not being critical, because anything can happen to us at any time and in any kind of way and by whatever means. But my questions are: 1) What did he know and when did he know it? 2) What kind of caliber of gun or rifle and type of ammo did he have with him? 3) Did he have any kind of training that prepared him for the environment?

4 Likes
  1. He knew his ass was about to get eaten or shredded, probably immediately.

2. Probably irrelevant at this point.

3. Is there really a good way to train for a furry monster with massive claws and teeth trying to eat you? We can hope to be ready but I dont think you can actively train for the absolute terror and adrenaline involved in a bear attack. Especially if its a full grown grizzly. IMHO

11 Likes

He probably pushed his luck too far or just simply lacked situational awareness. :bear:

7 Likes

When my brother was in Wa. State in the Army he was operating a bulldozer and had a Grizzly attack him and he did a head shot with a 44/40 rifle

5 Likes

Close combat training, being able to defend yourself with a full contact combatant. WAY, different than shooting at paper targets.

5 Likes

We do some of that kind of training. Draw while someone blitzes you, wrestle the weapon away from an attacker and use it, draw your attackers weapon and apply it… It’s actually a ■■■■ load of fun and way way way more difficult than you might think.

6 Likes

Especially when it comes to taking a gun that is pointed at you!

4 Likes

Not besides the old wisdom of hiking with someone you can outrun, so the bear catches them first.

8 Likes

I know i posted this elsewhere but it fits and its funny.

10 Likes

My one grizzly encounter,my “buddy” knocked me over when we heard it. I was up and after him real quick, thankful for the elk that was not so lucky. Tetons, 1979…when the government declared that area to be grizzly free.
We were so scared we pulled our '75 Vega up to the tents in a field to break camp.

2 Likes