Self defense and Christianity

… is more accurately translated “you shall not murder.”

4 Likes

Those two are from two quite different passages and do not refer to the same thing.

2 Likes

“Turn the other cheek” has to be one of the top 3 most misinterpreted verses because it’s often quoted out of context :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

Yes. The Hebrew r’tzach – murder – is used in the Torah. The same word is never used when referring to self defense or justifiable war. The broader word that encompasses all killing is harag or haroq. Per “The Problem of War in the Old Testament”, Peter Craigie, Wm. B. Eeerdmans Publishing 1978

2 Likes

Hi, OldGnome, good to meet you. I did not say they both it referred to the same thing, I was referring to the subject of my dissertation. Sorry, I am not a Bible expert, just a guy venting, Spider1.

2 Likes

OldGnome, Depends on what version of the Bible you are reading, Spider1.

1 Like

It depends on whether one is simply reading their English version or taking the time to study it. Study requires more effort, so it is not done very often.

3 Likes

I do not intend to get into a discussion on versions of the Bible. I have gone to many Bible studies at my church but hardly consider myself a biblical expert. I made a statement to make a point, let’s leave it at that, Keith.

2 Likes

How is one suppose to turn the other cheek if they dont live after that bullet. Hmmmmmmmmm? Its Tuesday folks.

3 Likes