School district disciplines students found with weapons

This is from local press. What do you think of this discipline?

the students violated Palm Beach County School District policy for the following offenses:

Student 1: Student was in possession of a weapon in school on January 10th, 2023. Student is to be expelled from the regular school program for the term of one year.

Student 2: Student was in possession of a weapon in school on January 23, 2023. Student is to be expelled for the term one year, and may re-enroll in a comprehensive campus after that term.

Student 3: Student was in possession of a weapon in a school on March 7, 2023. Student is to be expelled for one year. There is no notation in this proposal concerning when the student may re-enroll in a traditional public school.

Student 4: Student was in possession of a weapon in a school on March 15, 2023. Student is to be expelled for one year but may participate in a non-traditional state-run educational program. The student may re-enroll in a traditional public school following the one year term.

4 Likes

No mention of what kind of weapon?

5 Likes

Yeah really need more info

4 Likes

Really hard to say without knowing the kind of “weapon” and other circumstances.

I’ve seen stories of kids getting suspended for having a piece of paper cut in the shape of gun. Sure hope kids aren’t getting expelled for pieces of paper or a little pocket knife they accidentally left in their pack after a weekend hike.

4 Likes

Agree with @BRUCE26 and @David-65 no mention of what type of weapon. More details are needed for me to agree with the disciplinary actions taken. IMHO if it were guns that is ground for worse punishment than just suspensions or being expelled. Weapons on school property should be jail time.

5 Likes

I don’t think it matters what the weapon was the discipline is the policy for that offense. If one is going to break school policy one has to be prepared to except the discipline. Whether that should be the school policy is not for me to say. Whether the punishment fit the offense is not for me to say. I think the discipline will do them good.

2 Likes

Not enough information.

Type of weapon? “Priors”? Reason the weapons became known? Any mitigating or aggravating circumstances in general?

When I was in middle school there was a vendor at a major local/city thing everybody went to that sold butterfly knives to pretty much anybody, and a bunch of middle schoolers were showing them off at school. year expelled would have been pretty serious overkill I think when they were rounded up to turn them in.

4 Likes

No mention of weapon type, nor names, so it is impossible to lookup anything on the Clerk of Court website.

It seems students are caught with “weapons” about once a month, some are not caught probably, meaning a threat of violence and injury to teachers and administrators.

4 Likes

Looks like they are advertising to the other kids how to get out of school for a year. Knife, Gun, Brass Knuckles what ever, bring them to school and get a year off.

5 Likes

Tactical Pen? :thinking::grinning:

5 Likes

Inadequate posting by the OP, as pointed out by numerous comments.

• Weapons
  • Ages
  • Grade levels
  • Prior disciplinary history
  • Parental participation
  • Evidence of intent
  • Explanation from student

How about giving us the links to the actual stories from the “local press?”

2 Likes

Quick search found this article, no more info than OP

Potential source of this, dating back a little, there is some more if you look around

4 Likes

Oh, wow, you found the source I didnt. The article in BNN doesnt offer much info at all.

PS. Actually, I stand corrected, only 1 date on the sources you dug up matches infractions from the initial article. These are additional gun discoveries. No idea still, if the involved students went to court, though it is a sure bet they got expelled.

2 Likes