Scenario loads

I think about scenarios quite alot, I’m curious what your thoughts are. Please include why you chose something or why you would not chose something. I’m more interested in the why than the what actually.

What are your go to hand and long guns for:

• urban defense
  • rural defense
  • fun and training
1 Like

Yes, that’s a great plan. Do that.

1 Like

I wish that I had your free time! I barely have time to keep up with the forum and my job. lol

1 Like

@citizendo,
One question / scenario per week will be appreciated.
Great idea, but no time to answer everything at once.

In general I find my self defaulting to the same old things which cover a lot of bases.

My EDC is a 1911 Officers Model
My carbine is an AR-Pistol which is good from 0 - 200 yds+.
There are backups and crossovers.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I’ll try to be brief in my answers to ALL your questions.
Hope this helps!

5 Likes

I’m thinking about purchasing a 1911 format pistol. Had a bad experience with Kimber. Looking into Ed Brown, Colt.

I’ll break this apart into one scenario per week as suggested.

3 Likes

I don’t have much free time either, I’m one of the lucky ones that kept their job during this time. Also my job requires that I think of scenarios, so that helps.

1 Like

That is why I have so many guns, so many options. Any mechanic will tell you," use the right tool for the right job." Having a good CC for summer wear and a different CC for winter. I carry a different gun for hiking and camping. Think of it like, your not going to use bird shot to shoot a deer.

2 Likes

Kind of depends what you mean by defense for rural & urban? If you mean home defense, my answer would be the same (although i live in neither :rofl:) a pistol is always at hand so that is the #1 option. If I have more time/warning, then its a rifle out of the safe. The reason is a pistol is always at hand and it is what everyone in the house is the most comfortable with/have the most practice with.

For fun and training, the answer is the same as the above, but sprinkle in some more .22LR and shotgun (for sporting clays)

1 Like

Take a look at Dan Wesson. My last few 1911’s have been DW and they have been great. They are a little tight out of the box, but they are a perfect bridge between production and the boutique companies such as Wilson Combat.

1 Like

To the original post, hard to say, I have shot a 1911 at 200 yards and can ring steel, and I have shot one of my M1A’s at 10 yards. Not ideal, but I can adapt.

1 Like

Being defensive shooter - handgun in all 3 cases.
defense -> 3.6" - 4" barrel
Fun -> 5" barrel

I don’t feel the magic of AR … yet… :smiling_imp:

I’ve lived rural, suburban, urban, and nomadic as well, and I found that my security/defensive tactics/tools changed with each environment. I am curious if you would prefer different tools for different environments, and then what guns are just plain fun to shoot and/or help you train. Some people love one kit and use it everywhere; there’s something to be said for training with only one hand gun and one rifle.

When I lived near bears/elk/moose then I preferred a big bore caliber revolver, but when I live near humans I prefer a 9mm for edc. and def a rifle was preferred over hand gun but not always practical to carry a rifle all the time.

Todd…good point…a firearm is a tool, use the right tool for the right job. However, I advocate “become one” with your tool. Like craig6, I also “default” to sig226sao legion, sig .223 urban, and .270 winchester for hunting game. Feel, sight acquisition, ease of use, etc. “Become one”.

2 Likes

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will…

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit…

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will…

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America’s and there is no enemy, but peace!

3 Likes