Scenario-based Training?

@Beth Alcazar took part in a scenario-based training last year and shared her thoughts here:

She points out a flaw we all have talked about on the Community:

The problem with target practice, range drills, competitive shooting and even tactical range training is that these experiences do less to recreate the adrenaline dump and fear that one is likely to experience in a real-life deadly encounter.

Even with scenario-based training there are flaws. We know there’s going to be an attack. And we know it’s a fake attack so we don’t go all out. I saw this picture and thought I’d kick him in the knee - but would I have the time to think that in a real-life situation?

How do you train to overcome the shortfalls of conventional range and scenario training?

Conventional range training: Primarily does one thing if you are doing it correctly, build muscle memory of the basic Fun DUH Mentals of your chosen firearm.

Scenario / Competition: Provide you the opportunity to think, shoot and move in a “controlled environment” Let’s face it the training has to fall within certain confines for safety of the range, shooter other participants etc. And! You know it’s coming, you may even know the drill but you know bad things are about to happen.

When I joined USCCA I went through ALL of the scenario training that was offered in my package and even bought the “bullet” and viewed those. Some of the scenarios were pretty straight forward but others actually made me stop and think. The car scenario sticks out in my mind, I think the situation was road rage a guy hit’s you in the rear his car is broke yours is good, The scenario is that he is running at you with a knife from 200 yards away (remember your car works) as he closes in to within 30’ or so the scenario stops. Shoot? Don’t Shoot?

I was thinking to myself while listening to the the folks answering, being the sarcastically, practical guy I am, “I wonder how far I can get this guy to chase me?”:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Obviously driving away is the correct answer given the scenario.

The point is that Tim (USCCA Prez) lead these folks down a path with a scenario that forced a confrontation. Things that make you think.

IMHO the more reality (as in actually occurred) scenarios that you are exposed to the more you have time to think about options, outcomes and how to use the trainng that you have in those scenarios. If you have been exposed to a scenario then you have formed an opinion, a mental picture and now have a plan of action for that or similar scenarios.

If you watch a scenario or read one and your initial response is “Man that just sucked, I don’t know what I would do.” Then you are in the wrong mindset.

Mindset, Observance and Avoidance are the key to not getting hemmed up in most bad things.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Craig6 starts it off well.

Beyond finding local trainers who have been in the business and are low friction operators - ya, those guys (AND Girls) who can be teddy bears and then scare the bejesus out of you the next moment because they are real threat right-this-second in your face. People use physical activity to get your heart rate up, your body on edge, and your mind having to keep a group of simple easy to do tasks in order while the brain is all of a sudden starving for oxygen.

Add those stressors in a guided training environment can improve simple indoor range multi-distance, multi-target work. Get to a place where your instructor can set up a course of fire in an outdoor practice pit, add physical exercise and a bit of performance stress, and you could get further. Maybe not the same as clearing buildings as a solo or two-person team, but you could have developed effective experience in immediate close quarters retention & tactics. And, by then you’ll be well informed about the specific training you want to challenge yourself with and know how much you’ll need to spend, how far you need to travel, and when you’ll want to take a vacation to get it.

I toss all that out as an option to or a precursor for scenario training because one may not have team scenario available in the nearby community. Virtual scenario trainers would be another option, again being something which might not be readily accessible in the community.

1 Like