Say what you need to say about - Stand your ground or walk away?

Hey fellows, I want you to watch this videos. The old man pushed down by a young man is facing 20 years of prison after he used deadly force. Give all your thoughts!

https://youtu.be/4HieeP6lwvg

4 Likes

I would not shoot someone who pushed me down and was not advancing towards me. I might draw my gun, depending on the situation, but don’t see a legit reason to shoot in that video.

I am all for Stand Your Ground Laws, but if I can walk away, probably going that route.

6 Likes

He made a bad decision.
The problem has been discussed already. We can find a lot of thoughts there:

5 Likes

once down he was defenseless and at great risk of serious injury or WORSE! All from a younger stronger angry violent attacker.

4 Likes

I do remember this case. I thought & considered that the presentation of his weapon caused the aggressor to retreat. I thought that was the definition of a defensive firearms use. I thought him firing, at the point of retreat, made it unlawful. He could not claim self-defense.

4 Likes

The question is really was his use of force reasonable? The jury said no an he was sentenced to 20 years in prison.

3 Likes

Thanks for the opinions! I think the grand jury made a mistake. He is an old man, the attacker was younger and clearly stronger than him. He was pushed down and you can see perfectly how the attacker walk to him once he is on the ground, the attacker intent to retreat once he saw the firearm. I’ve see this video a lot of times and I’ll would bet that the old man would have received a beating. Let’s remember all the things that happen in our systems when are in danger. At least he reacted. The jury fail to me

1 Like

The old man started the fight over a parking space. Read what the judge had to say to him before giving him 20 years. Had the old man minded his own business he would be free now and the young father if a 5 year old wouldn’t have been shot to death in front of his family. Having a cc permit doesn’t make you the local parking enforcer. He took a life, ruined a family, ruined his own life and put a stain on the good people who carry.

4 Likes

The shooter is not “an old man.” He’s 49. Yes, the victim was only 28.

However, the victim was backing away from Drejka when Drejka fired.

3 Likes

My big question is why did Drejka initiate the situation over a parking spot? It’s not like he needed the spot in a life-or-death emergency. :confused: A parking spot is not worth someone’s life.

3 Likes

That was a critical reason why he was charged in the first place. The police also told media after his arrest that he has been known to verbally accost people when they appear to illegally park in a handicapped spot.

3 Likes

As I see this they were both at fault. 1) you don’t just come up and push someone to to the ground no matter who or how old they are. 2) The one that was pushed to the ground also did not need to shoot. Because as my CCW training is that you ONLY SHOOT TO STOP A THREAT. And there was as far as I could see in the video the person that was shot was retreating. So from my training you don’t shoot. And as I said I see fault by both parties. And the jury did find him guilty.

1 Like

He had shoved the shooter because he had been harassing his wife. Most of us would come to our wife’s defense if some jerk were hassling her. Not to mention his kid was in the car too. The shooter was a wannabe who IMO got far less than he deserved. Should have gotten life.

I’m all for responsible cc. This guy wasn’t responsible.

5 Likes

@Michael7 - I agree completely.

2 Likes

The victim shoved the shooter because he was prone to explode in violence in response to smallest criticism. Medical examiner did find a lot of MDMA in his blood, which may have been a factor too. And I don’t think most of us gorge on drugs, or are quick to beat on a loudmouth even if he is insulting my wife of child.
Parking lot, checkout line in the store, even kids’ playground -all can be unsafe because of folks with a lot of temper and little manner. Someone’s kids been taking your kids’ toys? Look really careful who the parents are, maybe it is not worth complaining to them. A court verdict never brought anyone back from the grave.

2 Likes

I guess he didn’t have enough problems in his life, and wanted something to deal with. Wish granted.
There is a life lesson here.

2 Likes

I guess the jury disagrees with you.

1 Like

Consider the case before the jury. Was their verdict about the same thing that I was talking about? No. Did I say the verdict was wrong? No.
So many things that the victim could have said, e.g

• sorry about this, we are leaving in a minute
    OR bug off, who are you to tell me where to park?
    OR leave us alone or I am calling the cops.

Instead he decided to kick ass.

3 Likes

I have no issue with the intent of the law or the law as long as it is equally applied. Personally, I will do everything in my power to avoid using my weapon. With that said, in every shooting, there’s an opportunity for both parties to make better decisions. Hubris will make a murderer out of one & dead man out of another… So choose wisely & leave folk alone. :v:t5:

3 Likes

I could understand if two people were trying to get in a handicapped spot where one was handicapped and the other was not. But still, it’s one of those things that is better left to the police and the hefty fine that that violation carries.
As you said, a parking space is not worth killing for, dying over or being sent to prison.

3 Likes