Say what you need to say about - Should I shoot?

Hey. Let’s say you have a bad guy pointing his gun on a family member or a friend asking for money or something else. He is just a few feet from you and you present your gun having a better shoot to his head than his body. Thinking that if maybe you shoot to his chest that bad guy can still mark some rounds to your family memeber. Would you shoot? It is legal to shoot at that part of the body under that condition? Give me some thoughts

Yes it would be legal. Your loved one is in imminent danger, and that is the shot you have. I would take the shot, personally. We shoot to stop the threat, and a shot to the cranium will do that.

4 Likes

I’ll take a shot. You save your Family at the first place… Thinking comes later…
I’m wondering what attorneys are going to say here.

2 Likes

The legal part is what would a reasonable person do? We have armed ourselves and taken classes to help us express what we already have determined is reasonable in case of the danger of life to ourselves or our loved ones. If we have trained for such an condition taking the shot is reasonable. We have purchased legal defense from USCCA for just such and occasion. If there is any doubt or reluctance on our part it would be best to leave our weapon holstered, in my opinion, because you haven’t fully committed to the reason you want to draw in the first place, to save a life. Lack of commitment can cause a mistake, also my opinion.

1 Like

All this craziness and what happened with the McCloskey’s made gun owners out of us. We’re not concealed carry. I went AR-15 because as a female I wanted intimidation factor. My son, 30, had a handgun. Which he’s had me practice unlocking and assembling repeatedly. The local range has classes but not right now due to COVID.

1 Like

Asking for justification of a particular vague scenario is pointless. Most states require you or someone else to be in imminent fear of death or serious bodily injury. That being said you and I could do exactly the same thing in exactly the same circumstances and you would go to jail and I would walk.
You had a different defense attorney, different prosecutor different judge and a different jury.
The gun is a tool of absolute last resort. better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Because it is a last resort was why I went out of my way to get something intimidating looking. Felt as a female it would have more impact if I was trying to scare sometime off.

don’t rely on intimidation to work…not saying that it wouldn’t, but the question you should ask yourself is if the risk is worth the reward. I can buy a $60,000 Gatlin gun…it certainly is intimidating or would be if I came face to face with it, but if I don’t know when and how to use it, the intimidation factor will only go so far and it becomes a liability.

2 Likes

I’d focus less on visual intimidation factor and more on a tool you can use effectively.

2 Likes

Jinx! lol

1 Like

If you introduce any firearm into a life threatening situation and are no prepared to or capable of using it, it will be taken from you and used against you or somebody else.

1 Like

Scary looking guns never have and never will deter bad guys with bad intentions. The only thing that helps resolve a deadly force situation is training with a tool that you have mastered. There are plenty of “training “ videos online.
In addition learning your states laws will assist in ways you’re allowed to use and/or display such a weapon. The Mcloskeys displays did not exactly deter that crowd and furthermore they may have to answer a lot of questions. The only reason it’s gotten this scary out there is because some folks didn’t and don’t believe in the right of self protection. The only way to fix this is to choose wisely come November. Not by pointing a “scary” weapon at someone.

1 Like

agreed

Might want to start reading in depth, your states statutes on “Justifiable Use of Force”. Agreed the guy holding a gun to someones head is a forcible felony, if you were lucky enough to have your weapon in your hand and you’re capable of stopping the threat, then stop the threat. You also may want to consult state laws concerning the “Castle Doctrine”! Great question, but will take many hours to discuss and keep you, your family and friends safe.
I have a recommendation, if you haven’t already done so, read “Deadly Force” by Massad Ayoob.

Once you have familiarized yourself with the laws get a good instructor and train train train.